2,010 results
All reviews octagon bar temple bar cleaver east restaurant liquor rooms river view the penthouse mini bar lovely hotel street noise dublin castle central location trinity college grafton street bono liffey ireland pubs
Reviewed 26 February 2018

We stayed in a river view room (404) recently and sadly were not impressed. The room was tiny with barely enough room for two people to stand and walk around at the same time. In fact, in the bathrooom, you couldn't stand at the sink and close the door at the same time as the room was too tiny. You had to tuck yourself in around the door and then close it. Not ideal.
The most frustrating part was the temperature of the room. It was too hot and impossible to control.....the fact there was a desk fan in the room should have been a hint. I couldn't sleep all night.
Also, as I'm mentioning the bathroom, the shower was an over bath option with those annoying shower curtains that stick to you when you get wet and the pressure from the shower wasn't great either.
On the plus side, there was ample towels, nice paul costelloe shampoos, a small mini-bar etc.
We paid for breakfast when checking in and hung our order for room service on our bedroom door when retiring. Woke the next morning to find the order was still on the door and no breakfast in sight!! In fairness it was sorted quickly once I phoned reception but again, not ideal. I don't often get breakfast in bed but when I do I like it to be delivered as I ordered. Everything was cold, even the coffee in the pots and when you've paid €18 per person you'd expect it to be warm at least!
The location of this hotel is faultless if you want to be able to explore Dublin on foot, the price wasn't bad and service was reasonable but personally I found the room too small, hot and stuffy, the shower not great and the breakfast cold.....simple principles lacking.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

It's disappointing to read you consider the room you occupied during your stay with us to be smaller than you had expected, and that the bathroom did not meet your expectations either. I can also understand your disappointment about your breakfast not being delivered when requested. It's good to read that this was quickly remedied though the aspects that were not so good are a concern and will be passed to the restaurant management. Your feedback is of course appreciated and provides us with areas we aim to improve in for the future.

Reviewed 23 February 2018

Perfect location, walking distance to everywhere in central dublin. Good restaurant and bar, room clean and the Wi-fi worked well. The bars and restaurants nearby are also very good and despite being on temple bar it wasn’t too noisy

Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Thanks for taking the time to positively review your recent stay at The Clarence. It's great to know you enjoyed your time here and we hope you'll return for business or perhaps a more leisurely stay in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Our family just completed a wonderful trip to Dublin and the Clarence Hotel was the highlight of the trip. The staff was so friendly and outstanding! Terrific property! I highly recommend the Clarence to be the first choice of anyone looking for a hotel in Dublin!

Room tip: Two Bedroom Suite overlooking the river.
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for such a kind review following your visit to us and in particular your feedback on the staff here. We're delighted to know you would recommend us and hope you will return for another visit in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

My partner booked a night for us at the Clarence so we could have a little break in Dublin Valentines week. He booked a 'King Room with Balcony'. I checked on the hotel's website and noticed there was no parking at the hotel so called them to ask for advice. After three attempts I got through and the person I spoke with advised that the hotel did not have parking but we could use Jervis street or another of our choosing.
We arrived and checked in and I expressed disappointment about the parking again and received the same advice as previous - many public car parks nearby - so we went in search of parking - not happily I might add - its most frustrating to have to hunt down a parking spot after 8p.m. in Dublin and I had been unable to book Q-Park online because of some website glitch.
We had a lovely dinner in the restaurant when we got back - compliments to the restaurant staff.
Our room was disappointing - it was small - not what I would consider a King room in my experience - it had a Super Kind bed in a small room! The bathroom was also very small - a small bath with shower in situ - very dated. The balconies are barely 'juliet' and should be described as such on the website - and ours had two small foldaway picnic chairs - no table. The building itself has character but its a little tired generally and the bar is particularly lack lustre.
When we were checking out I suggested to the gentleman at reception that a valet parking service would be great and he said - 'we do provide valet parking for a charge of €30'. Not one person we encountered offered us this service - and despite the cost I would have paid it to avoid all the aggravation we had ourselves!! This service is not mentioned on the hotel website either.
We had a pleasant enough stay for one night but we were disappointed overall and we wouldn't stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Clarence. It's disappointing to read the less positive comments regarding parking and that you considered one of our balcony deluxe rooms to be small as well as being disappointed with the balcony size itself, though a juliet balcony., having no space for outdoor seating is far smaller than those at The Clarence which has seating for two. It's also a pity that you found the bath to be small as they are of a standard size and that the bar was lacklustre for you.

Your kind words about your dining experience are appreciated and despite your disappointments it's also good to read your stay was pleasant enough. We hope that you change your mind in the future and try The Clarence again.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

The last time I'd stayed at the Clarence before my recent visit was ten years ago - it hasn't lost any of its understated charm! The staff are lovely - friendly and helpful but in a non-intrusive way. The décor is classy but in a low key and therefore very relaxing way. And for what you get, it's one of the best value hotels currently in Dublin - I'll definitely be staying there on my next work trip to the city. Couldn't fault it!

Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

It's great to read that you returned to The Clarence after more than ten years and that you enjoyed it. Your kind words about the hotel and the team are lovely to read and very much appreciated. It's always a pleasure to read that a guest will definitely return and we hope to welcome you back soon.