“Celtic Boyne Valley tour is outstanding”
Review of Irish Day Tours

Giant's Causeway Day Trip from Dublin including Belfast
Ranked #5 of 235 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Irish Day Tours are at the forefront of Irish tourism offering seven day tours and two evening tours leaving from Dublin year round. Our tours are handcrafted to give the best day tour experience in Ireland. Led by our legendary guides who will fill your with tales and folklore and give you a deep sense of our countries history. Your adventure with us will say with you long after you’ve departed one of our luxury fleet of couches. Join the adventure with us one of our amazing day tours including ; The Cliffs of Moher & Galway - The Cliffs Of Moher, ‘Premium’ - Giant’s Causeway - Wild Connemara - Belfast & The North - Ireland’s Ancient East - Blarney Castle & Cork - The Gravedigger Ghost Tour - The Storyteller Bus
Reviewed 16 July 2016

The Celtic Boyne Valley tour is absolutely outstanding. We did everything the tour description said and more -- lots of time outside the bus. Guide was very knowledgeable and helpful in every way. Beautiful scenery and fascinating history. One of the best day tours we have ever taken.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,415)

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

The bus driver was amazing. He had deep knowledge of all viewpoints and possessed great rhetorical skills. I didn't expect any information from the driver, let alone such an abundance of insight. I was traveling with my students and they all loved the tour and benefited greatly from the driver's stories about Irish and Northern Irish history. I could not recommend this company higher!

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

Looked into several of the day tours provided by different companies and ultimately settled on the Extreme Ireland/Irish Day Tours offered trips.

The first trip was to Cliffs of Moher and Jim was our guide. Jim was extremely pleasant and accommodating, gave insightful facts about the areas we were driving through or headed to. The Cliffs of Moher were incredible and we had about 2 hours to wander at our leisure. This was a perfect amount of time as it allowed us to walk all up and down the cliffs while still leaving time to check out the visitor center. The other stops were all great but it was worth it just for the cliffs.

The second tour was to blarney castle and cork city with Joe as our guide. Oh boy was Joe the greatest of all time. The singing, the storytelling, the narration on the drive...he was awesome. He was so good that I'd probably have paid just to have him drive me around all day and not necessarily go anywhere. Joe got us to the Rock of Cashel as it opened so we had the place to ourselves. As we left was when a lot of groups showed up so it was perfect timing. Blarney Castle was great with plenty of time to see the grounds, grab something to eat, and shop at Blarney Woolen Mills. The stop in Cork was nice though I could have done without, but I did appreciate the more laid back nature of that stop. And then the drive home again with Joe leading the way went by in a flash. His reenactment of the Titanic movie was spot on.

All in all, if you're on the fence about a day tour company in Dublin, definitely utilize Extreme Ireland/Irish Day Tours. You won't be disappointed in the quality of the trip or the value for your money.

1  Thank Kyle M
Reviewed 15 July 2016

I was in Dublin for a week and had already booked the Giant's Causeway tour. This is a long day but I had such a great time that I went straight to the office on returning in the evening to book a further day tour for later in the week.
Giant's Causeway trip - wear good walking boots/shoes and take waterproofs (although I didn't need mine, just a little light drizzle on the day). The coach was comfortable and clean and the driver/guide was fantastic (a little about him later). The Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge is a must-do, unless you don't do heights that well. There isn't a great deal of time at each stop as a great distance needs to be covered in a day. It is important that everyone keeps to the timing - we were a tiny bit late getting back from the rope bridge due to getting stuck behind a little boy who got part way across and then got scared. If timekeeping is not your thing then these trips may not be great for you as they need to run like clockwork. Meal and comfort stops were arranged really well - the place where we stopped for lunch was incredibly efficient as it was all arranged they were expecting us (and great food too). The Giant's Causeway was next on the itinerary - it was good to go up onto the cliff to look down onto the Causeway before going down to walk onto it. Although there were many people there when we visited I still managed to get plenty of photos without too many people in the background. The return journey included a stop in Belfast - our driver rang ahead and arranged taxi tours for anyone who was interested. These gave the chance to visit some of the areas most involved in the troubles with unbiaised information from drivers from both sides. We went off in a group of three taxis, and each driver took a turn to explain something about the places we stopped at. Very interesting to get local knowledge. It was very strange to be taken around some of the infamous places I knew only from news reports. We happened to be there on 11th July - the evening of the Orange Order parades of the 12th. This gave us the chance to see the bonfires and flags all ready for the event. I was a little uncomfortable with some aspects - such as the flags on the bonfires - but it was an opportunity to get a further insight into both the history and the current situation. I would definitely recommend this tour and am considering doing it again when I return to Dublin.

So, as I said, we booked a 2nd tour on return to Dublin that evening. We really wanted the same driver/guide so opted for the Cliffs of Moher tour on the Wednesday. This was not a disappointment. The scenery was stunning. Again good walking shoes and waterproofs would be ideal. The lunch stop was again incredibly well orchestrated - we stopped in a lovely Irish pub (I think it was near Doolin, wish I could remember the name of it). I had my first Irish coffee - I'd recommend that. After lunch there was a great drive, and a quick stop, through the Burren area on the Atlantic coast. A geologist's dream but great for photographers too. Vast expanses of cracked glacial-era limestone formations. There was a quick stop at an ruined Abbey and a photostop/refreshment break near Dunguaire Castle in Galway Bay.

The trips were fanastic in themselves but what made them extra special was our wonderful driver/guide, Wayne. His energy, enthusiasm, humour and knowledge were incredible. Even the health and safety and timekeeping instructions were delivered in a fun way. I learned so much from his encyclopaedic knowledge of the history of Ireland. He had something of interest to say about almost every part of the journey - even the motorway sections. When we stopped he gave clear instructions about where to go and when to be back, even detailing exactly how to get to the loos in the motorway services. At the lunch stops, instead of taking a well-earned rest, he was busy making sure everyone was happy and looked after. He encouraged people to ask questions and was happy for them to come and sit up in the crew seat if they wanted to chat. The overall impression was of someone who loved his job, loved people and loved Ireland. (Of course, it also helped that I found his accent irrestible so it was easy to listen to him all day. He even tried to teach me a little Irish.) He did give people the chance to sleep on the motorway sections if they wanted to.

A quick mention for Niamh, in the office. She too was very friendly and helpful when we were looking for other tours to do. We also booked onto the Hidden Dublin 1916 tour on her recommendation - this was well worth doing. A couple of hours, in a specially decorated bus, being taken round to the important places of the 1916 Easter uprising, with two wonderful actors bringing the stories of the people involved to life.

I will definitely be booking more trips with this company. The only problem is that I have now been spoiled by having such a great driver/guide that I would have to look out for tours he is doing. The Cork trip and the Celtic trip are on my to-do list.

2  Thank Melanie T
Reviewed 14 July 2016

I loved the landscapes and sites we visited. the hotels were were good; I preferred them to be in the central part of the city, not so far outside of the city. Restaurants chosen and meals were good, & we liked that so many were included. Most tour guides were good, but I wanted to see and hear about the most important sites in the town. Some focused on small details while leaving the best sites unmentioned. The bus driver/tour director was good. He tried to show us what Ireland & the Irish people were really like. I would take another tour by this company.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank marilynw186