“Celtic Boyne Valley”

Irish Day Tours
Ranked #26 of 282 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Irish Day Tours are at the forefront of Irish tourism offering seven day tours and two evening tours leaving from Dublin year round. Our tours are handcrafted to give the best day tour experience in Ireland. Led by our legendary guides who will fill your with tales and folklore and give you a deep sense of our countries history. Your adventure with us will say with you long after you’ve departed one of our luxury fleet of couches. Join the adventure with us one of our amazing day tours including ; The Cliffs of Moher & Galway - The Cliffs Of Moher, ‘Premium’ - Giant’s Causeway - Wild Connemara - Belfast & The North - Ireland’s Ancient East - Blarney Castle & Cork - The Gravedigger Ghost Tour -
Reviewed 17 June 2016

This is the 3rd tour I've taken with Extreme Ireland / Irish Day Tours and it did not disappoint! Our tour guide, Dennis, was friendly and quite knowledgeable about the history of the all of the places we visited. If you're interested in an active and informative sightseeing day-trip, Celtic Boyne Valley is a great choice!

Date of experience: May 2016
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank E3029PDmollyb
Write a ReviewReviews (5,980)
All reviews
"dark hedges"
in 100 reviews
"irish countryside"
in 111 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 58 reviews
in 55 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 68 reviews

Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

Well done to Extreme Ireland for 2 great days out. My first trip was to Belfast, a good day made great by the optional extra of a black cab tour of the city. I was delighted I took the opportunity to see Belfast from a locals perspective. Gerry was witty & insightful, and extremely informative. On return to the city centre, we met back up with the tour again & set off for downpatrick. Spectacular scenery on the way, stopped off at dundrum (bit different to the dundrum area I live in!!) and got the chance to appreciate the beauty of the coastline. Chris,our driver was informative & polite. Thoroughly enjoyed the day.
Trip 2 brought me cork & blarney ... and from the get go I knew I was in for an 'experience'. Joseph, our driver, was hilarious. He was singing at 7.00am .... and was still singing at 8.00pm when we returned. Brilliant !! Blarney castle and grounds were the highlight of the day. Amazing. We had plenty of time there to stroll, explore & enjoy the fabulous grounds there. Cashel is good too, amazing monument.
Well done to all involved, would definitely recommend a day out .....

1  Thank Marian M
Reviewed 17 June 2016

We went to the Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. The sights were beautiful but we were really put off by the driver.
He took a wrong turn that lost us 45 minutes, and didn't admit it until we were at the first stop, the Dark Hedges. He told us that we had 5 minutes to get out, snap a photo, and get right back in. Firstly, it took that long just to walk to a decent place to get a photo so this was ridiculously unrealistic. We were 10-15 minutes late because we thought he had said to walk 5 minutes, take photos and then come back. The driver then announced to everyone that THIS is what was causing us to lose time at the other attractions...instead of, you know, the near HOUR he cost us. So for the rest of the trip we felt like we had a target on our backs.
I assume we were supposed to get 1.5 hours at the rope bridge, but he only gave us an hour. Basically all we had time for was to walk there, cross the bridge, spend 2 minutes on the island and then walk back. This ruined the experience, and stressed us out needlessly, especially as our driver made threats to leave travelers behind if they were late (not in a funny way).
Then, when we were driving back to Dublin he was telling us about the history of Ireland, some of which was terribly inaccurate. Mary Queen of Scots and Bloody Mary were definitely not the same person, for example. Add this onto the fact that he wasn't very personable, and well...not a very enjoyable guide. He seemed like he didn't want to be there.
If it weren't for the beautiful scenery then I would give this 1 star.

Date of experience: May 2016
2  Thank AnnaS20555
ExtremeIreland, Manager at Irish Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Hi Anna, I am sorry that you didn't get the enjoyment we try to deliver to every passenger who travels with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the sights that we visited. We take any criticism seriously and will endeavor to improve wherever we can.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

Booked the Cliffs of Moher & Wild Atlantic way tour. As a solo traveler, I felt very comfortable taking this tour alone and found several other solo travelers on the tour with me.

The coach was clean and comfortable for our 3 hour drive from Dublin. Larry, our driver, did an excellent job at getting us there and back safely as well as navigating the many narrow roads we encountered. Jennifer, our guide, was very personable, knowledgeable, and told us some lovely stories involving Irish folklore as well as historical facts about the areas we visited. Her voice was so pleasant to listen to.

When we arrived at the Cliffs of Moher, the time allowed to explore as well as where to meet the bus was clearly explained to us. We had 90 min to explore and take it all in. It was breathtaking and we lucked out with the weather as we left Dublin in the pouring rain, but the sun appeared when we reached the Cliffs.

After the Cliffs, we drove to a small village for lunch at McGann's pub. They were ready for our group and had our tables reserved. I had a pint of Guinness and a very tasty bowl of beef stew served over mashed potatoes. The pub helped keep us on schedule when it came time to settle the bill.

After lunch, we drove along The Wild Atlantic Way into The Burren region. We stopped for a short time to view the rock formations and view the surf.

From there, we made a short stop at an old Abbey. Jennifer gave us a brief history of when it was built, etc. It was a great history and photo opportunity.

After the Abbey, we drove some more to our final stop, which was a tiny village on Galway Bay for 30 min. There really wasn't much to do here other than1 craft shop and a few pubs. But it was a place for our driver and tour guide to take a needed break which I respect. I just wish there was something more to do than the 1 shop.

After the stop we headed to Dublin. Jennifer had an eclectic range of Irish themed music she played for us from The Chieftans to U2 and it was a great way to get a broad experience of the Irish musical cultre.

I forgot to add that quick bathroom breaks were provided coming and going at clean service areas.

All in all, I very much enjoyed this tour and would recommend this company to anyone who is interested in a day tour in Ireland.

1  Thank Sheila D