“Cliffs of Mohr day tour”
Review of Irish Day Tours

Irish Day Tours
Ranked #26 of 280 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Irish Day Tours are at the forefront of Irish tourism offering seven day tours and two evening tours leaving from Dublin year round. Our tours are handcrafted to give the best day tour experience in Ireland. Led by our legendary guides who will fill your with tales and folklore and give you a deep sense of our countries history. Your adventure with us will say with you long after you’ve departed one of our luxury fleet of couches. Join the adventure with us one of our amazing day tours including ; The Cliffs of Moher & Galway - The Cliffs Of Moher, ‘Premium’ - Giant’s Causeway - Wild Connemara - Belfast & The North - Ireland’s Ancient East - Blarney Castle & Cork - The Gravedigger Ghost Tour -
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Although this tour was a seemingly daunting 13 hour bus ride to the cliffs of mohr and around ireland, it ended up being one of the best tours i've been on. Totally worth the day, especially if your tour guide is Mike. Mike sang folk Irish songs, made us laugh and continuously made sure we were all having a good time. THis day should have been terrible considering it was rainy and windy, but our tour guide made everything better. Also the Cliffs of Mohr is outstanding i would highly recommend Extreme Ireland as your travel guide when in Dublin

Date of experience: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (5,980)
All reviews
"dark hedges"
in 100 reviews
"irish countryside"
in 111 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 58 reviews
in 55 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 68 reviews

Reviewed 22 November 2012

All I can say is, that I truly recommend the Day Trips with Extreme Ireland.

The tour startet quite chaotic. A lot of different buses, even of different companies, people wondering which one to join etc. But the people of the Extreme Ireland company stayed calm in this mess and tried so hard to get everyone on the bus, altough there where quite a few people (me included) who couldn't get any ticket and tried their luck on the morning of departure. Finally everyone could get a seat and we drove off with an 30min. delay. But still, Bud - our guide - was i a good mood, telling some storys about the countryside, singing Irish Folk songs (he has a pretty good voice though) and also droping jokes from time to time. He asked at every stop, if we want to see the place or not, which was nice. He is a truely charming person who really cares about his passengers, which had brought him the sympathy of every single passenger in the bus!
At the end of the day, I had filled up my mind with lots of beautiful pictures (oh dear, the cliffs and the landscape where amazing) and its gonna be a great memory for me. Try it out, it's worth it!

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I went on the Day Celtic Tour with MaryCinema and other Spanish people. I was the person who paid online, so I didn't have o deal with Dave a lot, but the little I had to, it was really bad.

First thing in the morning, when you book the trip you don't know if there is going to be one bus or more. We just assumed that everyone would be travelling together, so we just got into the bus when we asked the driver if that was the bus for the Celtic Tour. Then, we realised that the guy who hadn't arrived yet, didn't have any seat, so we talked to Dave. His answer was literally: "One of you needs to stay in Dublin. I don't have any free seats here and there are no seats in the other bus." All of us complained as that would mean I would have to stay in Dublin when I had already paid, the tour was already charged in my account and I had a confirmation email with me. However, he continued refusing asking the other driver (we asked him if it would be possible that I could go in the other bus then and his answer was "no, no, no") as we thought that maybe as we booked separately, I was supposed to travel in the other bus. After complaining, asking for the phone number of the company (which he refused to give), he asked me to get out of the bus and then the other driver confirmed I was going with him.

I can't complain about the other driver. Honestly, he was just incredible. He played typical Irish music, let us know the main interesting things during the tour and he let us decide during the whole tour what we wanted to do.

We left Dublin 10 minutes later than the other bus (our driver did wait for people who were late) and made a small tour through Phoenix Park with the bus. Even leaving 10 minutes later than the other bus, we arrived at the same time in Hill of Tara. I thought I would be able to be with my friends there. All of us assumed we were going to do the same tour, but just in different buses on the road. When we got to Hill of Tara, I just went with my friends to talk to them and Dave (bus driver) asked ONLY "his" group to stay together. Of course that meant I couldn't be with my friends, which was quite disappointing.

After that, we went to Trim Castle, then to Loughcrew and stopped for lunch in a very nice pub recommended by the good driver (I'm sorry, I don't remember his name). However, Slane Castle is not possible to be visited some days and we were all quite disappointed because when I saw the photos of the places I was going to visit, I thought that was the most amazing one and was very excited to visit. No one informed us before the trip that we wouldn't be able to visit Slane Castle and actually I find quite unfair to pay the same amount of money when you can't see everything that is offered.

We went to the jumping church and we met the other group there. I was talking to my friends and as soon as we got there, Dave said: "Let's go and let's leave the boring group here". I found that quite rude to be honest. It might be a joke but it's a total lack of respect to everyone who was in the other group and above all to his colleague.

When we were in Drogheda, our driver made a tour through the city and explained some curious things to see and let us have an hour if we all agreed. Actually he would have let us more if we would have wanted it. Anyway, I saw my friends in the church and started talking to them about some corpses that were in the cemetery and I really wanted to see. They said to me, oh, there's no time, we just can be here for 15 minutes. I was totally shocked. How is it possible that one driver gives one hour and the other driver gives 15 minutes when it's the same tour? I told them that there were some free seats and there shouldn't be any problem. When it was time for them to leave, they talked to Dave and explained they wanted to go back to Dublin in the same bus as me. Anyone who has the opportunity to read MaryCinema review, please read it. I was there when Dave was totally furious and it's exactly as she explains. He just came very rude, shouting to them "So you wanna stay here? That's what you want? OK, that's fine! I don't care. You don't wanna come in my bus? Stay here!" Relationships with the clients are not his best, I've never seen anyone being that rude to any client. I talked to the bus driver I had during the whole day and he let them go back to Dublin in his bus.

The tour is good, even though I still don't find fair that if I pay 30 euro and they're offering several places, that I can't see all of them. However, Dave really ruined it even though I didn't have to deal with him all the tour, he made me go back to Dublin with a bad impression of the company.

Date of experience: November 2012
2  Thank davbeck
ExtremeIreland, Owner at Irish Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Hi Davbeck,
Thank you for your very detailed review of our 1 day Celtic tour. I have waited sometime before I responded to this review for a number of factors. The main one I suppose was to see if anyone apart from your group on the day would also have anything to say about the tour that day. To this date, we have not received any other correspondence from anyone else on the tour that day. I have had a chat with Dave and also with Jamie who was driving the other bus as well and from looking through all the information that I have received I have come to the best decision that I could.
I originally replied to your email to our office about our tour and after listening to your story, it seemed that your main complaint about the day was the guide and not the tour. I hate to have any customers unhappy on our tours so I decided to offer you and your group a complimentary tour of your choice with another guide not as compensation for your experience but more as a thank you and the fact that I was unhappy that you left with your experience.
You refused my offer and insisted that you only wanted money back from the tour. I have your original email saved in case I needed it in future. On it, you say that you enjoyed the majority of the tour but due to your issue with Dave, you demanded a full refund even though you did have a full tour and you agreed this with us.
I have also checked the tachograph from the bus that day that Dave was driving and it shows that Dave was in Drogheda for over an hour that day and not 30 minutes that you say.
From the drivers feedback both from Dave and Jamie, your group were talking consistently during the day and interrupting the guide while he was trying to teach the group the history of where you were going.
On your review, it states that you are on a day out and want to have a good time. However, you are paying for a guided tour from a knowledgeable guide who imparts their knowledge onto you for the day. If you wished to talk in the group for the whole day and interrupting the driver and also the rest of the passengers on the tour, I would have recommended to hire a bus for the day and not pay for a guided tour.
Maybe this part about it been a guided tour was not understood properly and if that is our fault I will apologise but I am sure all the information about our tours are highlighted on all our websites.
The other driver confirmed this to me also.
Dave has been guiding for us through the year and this is the first complaint that we have had about his temperament or his guiding skills so that is why I was taken aback when I seen the complaint first.
I think we have acted responsibly in offering you another tour but a full refund which you requested was in no way possible for the day you had with us. Because you did not get a monetary refund, although you say you enjoyed the tour, you wrote this review. You have not written any other reviews which indicates that you went out of your way just to hurt the company and have no interest in honestly reviewing your experiences in Ireland.
Once again, I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your day trip with us. You can see that it is an exception to our reviews on Tripadvisor which we use as a training guide for all our staff.
Best regards,
Keith

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I just finished with a day tour of the Giants Causeway - our guide Eddie was extremely knowledgable and very interesting. We made an appropriate number of breaks and Eddie knew all the right picture opportunities! The Causeway was just one of many interesting stops and all in all I'm very glad we chose to take the tour rather than driving it ourselves. Having a guide was extremely helpful and it made the experience so much less stressful.