“Nice place”

Ranked #113 of 551 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Booking is essential
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My boys sam 4 jamie 2 enjoyed imaginosity. Plenty on running around and play time. There was a party there at the same time but in a way was glad..as without the party it would have been empty.
We stopped at the cafe for some beverages. .but felt the staff member should be a bit more friendly. ..it was very cold emotionless service, pricy too.
But in general nice and memorable experience.
Thank you.

1  Thank Margit O

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Took our 2.5 year old daughter here this week. She really enjoyed it. As a parent I think the pricing is harsh given adults only go in to supervise and help their children (and watch the fun!). I think one adult should be admitted with each child for a nominal fee. We did have the Kellogg's voucher admitting one adult free but I was informed as my daughter was 2 and entitled to a concession I would have to pay full price for her. If was was just the two of us I could accept that but my husband came too paying full price and our voucher clearly stated that one adult went free with a full paying adult or child. I pointed this out but was met with a blank stare and they'd look into it. I doubt they did. I suppose we started with a bad taste and from there I found it very regimented. Roof garden was meant to open for last 30 mins of session but only opened for 20 and my very disappointed daughter was refused admission 10 mins before it should've closed.

2 hours was plenty. As I said my daughter did love it and we did have a fun 2 hours with her there but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to return. There's much better value for money elsewhere for families

Lauren O, Guest Relations Manager at Imaginosity, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi Mags

Many thanks for your review, I am glad that your daughter had fun at Imaginosity but regret that the experience was not entirely positive. To explain the reasoning behind the adult charge; The museum was designed and built on the American model of Children’s Museums which states that you are your child’s first and most important teacher and play partner. Play is the important work of childhood and with this in mind parents, grandparents and carers are encouraged to join in and play, to watch your child explore and experiment, engage and learn. For this reason all children’s museums charge a fee for all adults entering, as they are encouraged to be as involved as the children.

The other reasoning behind adults paying, is due to the fact that we have a 160 person capacity limit within our building set down by the fire authority. We have occasions where one toddler may be accompanied by up to 5 adults, all of whom would be taking the places of children if it were a busy time.

The final reason for the adult charge, but perhaps most importantly, Imaginosity is a not for profit registered charity, using all entry fees for the upkeep of the building and the development of the interactivity of the building, and also donating on an annual basis to other children's charities such as Barnardos, The Jack and Jill Foundation, Crumlin Children's Hospital and Enable Ireland.

With regards to the Kelloggs voucher, the front of house staff member did forward your query to the customer service team and we confirmed that yes, you can use the voucher with a full paying adult OR a child. I apologise that we had not briefed all the front of house staff adequately, please be assured that they are all now aware of the terms and conditions of the voucher.

The roof garden would generally close about 5 minutes before the session ends, allowing parents the chance to gather the children together and down to reception in time for the next session to start. You should not have been refused entry at 10 minutes to the session ending, I will ask the staff manager to address this with all the staff. It may have been that they felt 5 minutes was a disappointingly short time but I'm sure your child would have been happy to see the roof garden for a few minutes rather than not at all!

Again, thank you for your review, we appreciate all customer feedback in our endeavour to provide fantastic family experiences for all our visitors.

Kind regards
Lauren O'Toole
Customer Services Manager

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had been meaning to take the kids here for a while now (5yo & 4yo) and finally decided to go.
Too be honest I wasnt sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. Found all the play areas very interactive, and our 2 girls really got into it using their imagination particuarly in the Medical Centre and Supermarket.
All the staff were lovely, 2hrs did seem enough, like the fact that there is blocks for admission, so not to overcrowded. Cafe in venue is great. For those people complaining on price, use the Kellogg vouchers 'Grown Ups go Free' found on packs , for 2 adults and 2 kids, entry would be €16 with the vouchers.
Overall enjoyable experience for all of us, including the parents!!

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Went here with a 1 yr & 3.5 yr old. Pricing is steep especially for the adults considering that there is nothing really for the adults and your time is limited in there. Still saying that the kids really seemed to enjoy it with all sorts of activities in there for them to do especially for the older one. The set up is fantastic with the 3 floors broken into different activity/daily life zones that are all very interactive and they have really put a lot of effort into cramming as many things into the place as possible. I have no doubt that if we went back tomorrow we would find things we completely missed the first time around. You can only go there at certain 2 hour time slots and as I had heard that the morning and early afternoon ones can be very busy we went on the last time slot of the day and found it to be perfect with no need for the kids to wait to play certain things as there was only a small group of other families in there with us. the top floor is an open air 'garden' that only opens for 30 mins (of your 2hours) but if it was lashing rain I don't know if it would be open but I doubt that the entry price would change.
My biggest issue was finding the place and in particular finding parking. It seemed to be very poorly signposted and it was only by pure luck that we turned down a lane and found an underground parking area. Will we return, most probably but will leave it until both kids are older to get the most out of everything in there

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This attraction is brilliant. We have been twice and really enjoy it. There is so much to do for young children. I have an almost three year old who thinks it's amazing. there are various areas such as play post office, restaurant, TV studio, supermarket and block building, science area and car area. It is a great way to spend an hour or two and is really engaging.

I have a huge issue with the price though - the varying prices for various ages is quite annoying to start with. It should be one consistent price for children. The charge for an adult is also obscene. There is no choice but to attend this attraction with a child and to charge €8 for an adult to visit an attraction which is specific to children is so wrong. My advice here is to collect the Tesco club card vouchers when they're available and the Kelloggs Free adult vouchers to make your trip worthwhile and less expensive.

Hi Tinkerbell

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - I'm delighted to hear that your family enjoyed their visit to Imaginosity.

Just to explain the reasoning behind the adult charge to you - the museum was designed and built on the American model of Children’s Museums which states that you are your child’s first and most important teacher and play partner. Play is the important work of childhood and with this in mind parents, grandparents and carers are encouraged to join in and play, to watch your child explore and experiment, engage and learn. For this reason all children’s museums charge a fee for all adults entering, as they are encouraged to be as involved as the children.

The final reason for the adult charge, but perhaps most importantly, Imaginosity is a not for profit registered charity, using all entry fees for the upkeep of the building and the development of the interactivity of the building, and also donating on an annual basis to other children's charities. We also allow significant discounts, and where possible, free visits to disadvantaged groups and children's charities. All this would not be possible without the admission fees from our valued customers such as yourselves.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and we hope to welcome you to the museum again soon!

Kind regards