“Classy addition to the Dublin bar /casual restaurant scene ”

Roberta's Restaurant, Bar & Terrace
Reserve with OpenTable
Roberta's Restaurant, Bar & Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #430 of 2,689 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$17 - US$77
Description: Dublin's newest, coolest restaurant, bar, terrace - Roberta's, 1 Essex St. East is a beautifully designed space, with contemporary cuisine served to you beneath our bespoke glass ceiling! Nestled between 1 Essex St East and Wellington Quay, our spacious eatery is open for dinner seven days a week with brunch served at weekends.
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

We came here for drinks only on a Saturday evening and were very impressed. Staff were awesome, friendly and attentive. It's like a larger Sophies!

We decided to return the next day for brunch. We had no reservation but that wasn't a problem. We had pizza, eggs royale & the burger... We all enjoyed it thoroughly, and as the weather was cracking, we headed to the outdoor area for some G&Ts. Great place for food and /or drinks with friends, couples or colleagues. Highly recommend.

PressUpEntertainment, General Manager at Roberta's Restaurant, Bar & Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Hello citigirl22!

Thank you so much for such a lovely review!!

I am absolutely delighted to hear you had such a great experience with us on both occasions last weekend.

We really look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Came to Robertas for a family occasion. While the venues interior and the vibe is lovely, the food does not live up to its surroundings. We all chose the mains rather than the pizzas and perhaps this was the mistake. The venue is a bit of a trek up stairs and there is a lift if needed. Its a surpise when you do get to the top floor and how large and bright it is. There are plenty of seating areas and some nice views looking onto the liffey. What we all thought was odd at the table was the use of the container of sea salt, just a small thing but really was out of place here. It would have been better if it was in a similar container as the pepper one and more fitting to the table and surroundings. We received some really tasty sourdough bread, still warm, which had a wounderful taste and texture. Only grip was that the slices were not cut through and one needed to rip the bread apart. They are a little mean on the butter front, but are given more when asked. We all started off with some cocktails. While tasty, they are expensive. Bit slow on delivery of the cocktails, but we were told this at the time of the order. The group chose from the starters menu a mix of duck hearts, oysters, potstickers, Jamón Ibérico and the yellowtail amber jack. There was a mixed review by all. Portion size, were very small, except for the ham. I had the yellowtail amberjack and to be honest it was disappointing. While the fish itself needed seasoning, as it was rather bland, it then had one section which was over seasoned....was just a weird starter. The mains was a mix of lamb, the crispy skin cod, steak and chicken. I had the crispy cod, which when it came out looked like a very impressive piece of fish, but I was fooled. The cod was sitting on a large bed of cabbage celeriac strings which gave the impression of a nice chunk of cod, but was a rather small tin piece. The cabbage sat in a broth of ginger and spring Onion.The dish, for me, was like two separate dishes. It was like a ramen without the noodles and then a piece of cod. The dish lacked seasoning. For me it was like Yōshoku style dish or some asian Fusion dish. While it stated that its was a crispy skin cod, the skin on both the cods we had was wet. Overall it was a disappointing dish. I was told that the lamb was also a disappointment and was rather tough. We also ordered the tomato salad, mixed salad and mash, they were fine. We only got two desserts, the pineapple and the chocolate fudge cake. The chocolate cake was ok, rather small, but the pineapple was rather tasty and the pineapple sorbet worked well with the sponge and was the better of the two desserts. On top of two bottles of wine, it was overall a very expensive and disappointing meal. I would come back to try the pizza and a pint, as I think it might be the better option here.

1  Thank Mike F

Hello Mike F,

Thank you for taking the time to write in a review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us and I have passed on your comments to the kitchen for their consideration.

We will hopefully see you back soon for a second chance.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

We ate here for a friend's birthday over the weekend. It is a gorgeous venue and perfect for a dinner with a group of friends. The menu has something for everyone at a wide range of price points. There is an excellent drinks menu too. I had a couple of cocktails which were delicious.

For my dinner I had the duck pizza which was beautiful. Highly recommend this along with the truffle fries! Desserts were great too. I had the ice cream sundae which left me wanting more.

The one flaw was the staff behaviour. The place was busy and you see they were under pressure. We had been told we had to give up the table at 8.30 and between 8 and 8.30 felt rather rushed. For example they cleared plates from the table while others were still eating. At one point a member of staff was tapping his watch and we were told might need to have dessert at the bar. I felt this definitely could have been handled better especially as it was a large party of people.

I would go back but will definitely wait a few months to allow these teething issues to be resolved.

1  Thank Chantelle W

Hello Chantelle,

Thank you for taking the time to write in a review for us.

I am so sorry to hear your experience didn't match up to your expectations with us. I have had a conversation with the manager on duty that evening regarding the issues raised.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and I have passed over your compliments to the kitchen.

With all of our bookings, we have an allocated time of 2 hours on each table. We try hard to accommodate around late arrivals, however on a Saturday evening sometimes it can be a little tricky, especially with larger parties. However, you should not of felt as rushed as you did.

Apologies again, we do hope to see you back again soon!

Roberta's Tea,

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Me, my girlfriend and another couple visited this restaurant recently. Firstly the layout, design and interior of this place are absolutely on point. It reminds me of what a loft in New York would be like with this big glass roof just over the bar. You enter from the Temple Bar side but once in the restaurant you can see out onto the river Liffey. So the look of the place gets top marks. The food however was pretty average and after all that's what the main reason is for going to a restaurant, isn't it? The menu isn't simple, some of the dishes ingredients are quite complicated. But that's ok for a foodie because we love a new tasting experience. However I find the chef isn't really utilising these flavours correctly. I had the lamb rump which you will see pictured below. It came with eggplant and goats cheese to the side. I found all of these ok separately but they do not go together. Moving onto the drinks. I don't drink so when I go to a restaurant or a bar with an extensive cocktail/drinks menu I love to see the non alcoholic cocktails as it's something different for a non drinker. However this menu doesn't have one non alcoholic option. I asked the waiter what non alcoholic drinks were on offer and it was just plain run of the mill soda (Coca Cola, Fanta, Sprite etc). They didn't even have any of the more uncommon beverages such as San Pelligrino or Fetimans. So to recap and put it in short. The look and atmosphere of this place is absolutely great, I could maybe see myself returning to try a pizza and stand around with a few friends drinking up around the bar area. But I wouldn't return for a seated 3 course meal as the food isn't all that great. If trip advisor would allow me to give a 3.5 review I would have so it's not all that bad. The staff are really professional and helpful. I cannot take away from their hard work.

1  Thank Meogie

Hello Meogie,

Thank you for taking the time to write in a review for us.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food so much, your comments have been passed over to the kitchen.

Following your review, we are working on the addition of a lovely new non alcoholic section on our cocktail menu, so thank you for your feedback.

Delighted to hear such a lovely comment regarding our staff, they all do work very hard.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

The interior of Roberta's is probably the most unique place I've seen in Dublin city center for ages, with a beautiful loft space with a glasshouse style terrace. I visited with 3 friends for brunch and 3 out of 4 of us enjoyed our dishes. The brunch menu is similar to what you would expect albeit on the pricey side (16 for eggs Benedict)A couple of criticisms though I thought the salad selection was poor with no meat salads and it would be nice to see a flatbread on the menu there is just a breakfast pizza option. My friends avocado dish wasn't great with just sliced avocado and alot of spicy seasoning. I had the fry this was really excellent with high quality ingredients and delicious homemade beans. The cocktails were delicious and we had no problem getting a table in the terrace after our brunch for drinks. The barman was really great coming over to chat and regularly checking in without being OTT. This place is probably going to be the "cool" spot for a while similar to its sister place Sophies was but the main thing is it lives up to it with good service, food and atmosphere.

Dear eina,

Thank you for taking the time to write in a review for us! Delighted to hear you enjoyed a lovely brunch with us here. I have passed your compliments and comments over to the kitchen.

We hope to see you back here soon for some more cocktails on the terrace!