“Good, Clean Hostel”
Review of Abigails Hostel

Abigails Hostel
Ranked #8 of 126 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

I am not a huge fan of staying in hostels but this one was great. Excellent facilities- lots of kitchen space, vending machines, free hot drinks available all day. Breakfast is ok and served until a reasonable time. It was also very clean.
The location is also great, 2 minutes away from Temple Bar area.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank HannahRB1989

Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for about 9 nights whilst I was visiting Dublin, and opted to pay a bit extra to stay in a female-only three bed dorm. Firstly, the location is perfect! Located on the south side of the Liffey and in the heart of Temple Bar you won't have a problem walking to anything and everything -lots of pubs and restaurants, as well as shops, a big Tesco and a great laundry place on the corner (5€ per kilo, and 3€ each kilo after- plus a discount for staying at the hostel).

The room itself was clean and tidy when I arrived and I had the choice of either a single or a double bed (all were free when I arrived) and the linen was already put on the bed, and a towel was provided (which I didn't know so I wasted 1€ on hiring a towel on arrival). The bed was comfy and the pillows were pretty good - I'm fussy about pillows but these were great. We also had three individual in-room safes which made up for the limited bag storage space in the room. The bed I chose had its own bedside table and lamp, and a power point however the other two beds had to share one power socket, one table and one lamp (although sometimes the lamp was sacrificed for charging phones etc). Our room radiator was broken and would only work sometimes, however there was a portable heater in there for us to use. But overall I had a great stay in my little corner, it almost felt private with the other beds on the other side of the room, and no one above you in a bunk!

The bathroom was good enough and an ensuite, a bit dated but clean enough and the hot water and pressure was perfect. A good amount of space too, so you weren't cramped up trying to get dressed and do all the bathroom things haha. I found the cleaning of the room a bit odd... For my first six or so nights my towel was taken away and replaced with a fresh clean one (amazing and totally unexpected) but then this was stopped for the last bit... So I'm not sure if this was a normal thing or not? Additionally I don't think the floor was swept or vacuumed the time I was there as I noticed quite a bit of grit on my feet following my exit from the bathroom which wasn't ideal after showering!

The common room (to me) felt a bit meh, I've been in much better and more welcoming ones in other hostels but there were lounges and a tv there if needed. The staff were nice but would only engage with you if you went up to them and asked questions etc. They were definitely not rude, and very helpful when needed. Brekky was included and was your typical continental- toast and cereal and eggs I think. I didn't really take advantage of this but when I did it was satisfactory- not many hostels offer free breakfast!

Wifi was fantastic!

Overall I would stay at this hostel again- it might be worth looking into a room with less beds as it seems by paying a little more you get a better experience.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Bridget_Katie
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Abigails hostel is situated in the very center of Dublin, surrounded by the most famous pubs of the city and some supermarkets and bus stops. The staff was helpful when we needed them. However, the room was pretty simple. Inside the room there wasn't any place to store our stuff and there weren't any locker. The shower was not easy to use and the bathroom lacked a towel rack or something, and as a result we had to dry our towels in the room by just putting them on the beds. There was no way to regulate the temperature inside the room and I found the only blanket we had too thick, so I sweated during the night even though the outside temperature was hardly above 0ºC. The breakfast was quite good. I would recommend Abigails to people who just want to walk around in the city center and hang out during the night, but for those who are looking for somewhere comfortable I would suggest not to stay in this hostel.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lluís S
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Perfect location!!! Just a few steps to Temple Bar. My room had a very nice view over the river.
Staff are very friendly and helpful: they were super nice when I checked in at 2am, they gave me suggestions about the city and even booked a tour to Moher for me with a discount!
Hostel is clean, my 10 people room had two showers and two separated toilets, which was very nice.
Breakfast is basic but sufficient for several days.
The only thing I missed were lockers in the rooms, although I felt very safe (you need your key-card to enter both the staircase and the room)
Nice common areas, cool environment. Wifi worked perfectly everywhere. You also have your own light and plugs in every bed.
I would completely recommend this hostel to everyone!!!!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank maricombi
Reviewed 4 March 2017

My food was stolen from this ''establishment'' and I was accused by a member of staff that I was a liar because there was no ''proof'' that my food had been stolen. The whole incident was handled extremely unprofessionally. I had been staying in Abigails every week because I needed somewhere to stay while I was working in Dublin City. When I mentioned that I chose to stay there on a regular basis the staff member in charge said that I was allowed to stay there as a ''gesture of goodwill'' because they had a 14 day stay policy. This was never mentioned to me when I paid 60 euro a week to stay there, only when there was an issue. The manager and the staff member in charge behaved very unprofessionally and treated a 20 year old girl with complete disregard. The cutlery is never clean and the toilets regularly stop working. People also sleep on the couches. I had relied on that place because I couldn't afford somewhere to stay and they treated me with extreme disdain when there was an issue that could have been easily sorted. I must mention that the other members of staff were lovely and there was always good service up until that point. I'd recommend any other hostel in Dublin over this one.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business