“Good food in a great location”
Review of Fishbone

Fishbone
Ranked #465 of 2,773 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$17 - US$28
Description: Dublin's newest, freshest seafood restaurant, cocktail bar & grill serving the best from the Irish waters and land 7 days a week, located on the scenic Clontarf seafront.
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

This was my first visit to Fishbone and it won't be my last . It's in a postcard setting on the seafront in Clontarf . Great ambiance as we entered the restaurant . Service was very good from start to finish.. Cocktails were good . Wine list extensive and very reasonable for a city restaurant. Menu heavily weighted on the fish side as one would expect from the name !! Lots of daily specials each served with a variety of complimentary sauces. I had the John Dory special with a spicy restaurant special sauce. The fish was so fresh and apart from the head served on the plate ( pet hate of mine), it was superb. Sides of Harrisa potatoes were substantial and very tasty. My partner had the seafood pot served in a lobster bisque. Once the hard work of de-shelling the prawns was finished, he enjoyed every morsel of it. Starters of prawn Thermidor on bruschetta were also superb . This restaurant will make any seafood lover happy as lots of choice and all dishes were top class ..

Fishbone R, Public Relations Manager at Fishbone, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Dear Niamh,

thank you so much for taking your time to give us your feedback. We literally loved reading every single sentence of your lovely review. It is a real pleasure and extra bonus for us to have received such positive feedback.
I have happily passed your lovely compliments on our team and they were thrilled to hear that all.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
With warmest regards
Richard Kovac

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Looking around while staying in the Clontarf castle hotel we came across this seafood eatery online. It looked super promising from the website and in fact after our visit we both felt it did not disappointing at all! The food (mostly seafood) was really fresh and had loads of flavours in it. The menu was quite unusual and different from the "common" fish restaurant menu.A bit casual service, but service over all friendly.

Dear Carl,

thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. Many thanks for your lovely compliments about the service and food.We are really delighted to hear you were coming with high expectations and we didn't disappoint you.

We hope you to see you again on your next visit to Dublin.
Warmest regards
all at Fishbone

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Monday, the 29 May 2017. I decided I'd go look for somewhere to have lunch. I'd vaguely remembered passing a new seafood restaurant on the Clontarf road so off I headed.

I did not remember the exact name or the exact location but I knew it was on the coast road.

It turned out to be a pleasant surprise not forgetting the usual issues of value concerning Irish restaurants in general.

Lunch for two courses is 18 euro which is pretty good. The wines, as is usual in Ireland, are pricey. A glass of Txakoli, a local wine in the Basque country, is bloody 9.59 euro. Tax on alcohol is excessive in Ireland but I don't know if that accounts for such high prices. A short time ago in San Sebastian in a Michelin starred restaurant a glass of Txakoli was 4.40 euro. Taking everything into account that's still some difference.

The cheapest glass of wine is 7.50 euro. There is enough low priced drinkable wine in the world to have at least have one reasonably priced bottle on the menu.

I started with the crab salad which was good and competent enough. But then I had the Monkfish and Tiger prawn curry. This was a very pleasant surprise. The monkfish was perfect. Too often in restaurants it's inevitable rubbery but not here. The curry itself was fragrant and flavoursome.

If you like views you could well spend the afternoon here. The seating outside is swept with the smell of the sea. Diners can look across to the Pigeon House and the South Bull wall at the neck of Dublin Bay.

I'll be back here again for lunch.

The bill with two courses, two glasses of wine* at 8 euro each and a cup of coffee was 37euro plus tip.

*VerdeJo Rueda, unbelievably a bottle of the same wine in the execellent Narru on La Concha in Spain is 14 euro. So two glasses of the same wine in Fishbone cost 16 euro. The bottle would have been 30euro.

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

We recently visited fishbone for lunch after visiting the battle of the bay on bull island. Perched between bay and kinara one would expect that the quality has to be extremely good for fishbone to flourish. We got several starters to share between us as a light lunch. As expected the seafood was fresh, full of flavour and perfectly cooked. The scallops were a particular highlight. Although we only ordered starters, the portions were quite small particularly considering the prices. I am keen to try the shellfish pot and several other dishes on what is a very exciting menu but it is pricey especially when compared to somewhere like stoop your head in skerries which is excellent seafood at much more reasonable prices. It's hard to justify travelling to clontarf for a more expensive meal that's at best equal to the quality of the ever impressive stoops.

Reviewed 19 May 2017

Definitely worth grabbing a taxi from Dublin to check out a great seafood spot. Cocktails were delicious and I loved a change from a week of good pub far.