“Worth a visit to the GPO Witness History Exhibition”

GPO & GPO Witness History Visitor Centre
Book In Advance
More Info
US$14.20*
and up
GPO Witness History Visitor Centre Admission...
Ranked #46 of 586 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: GPO Witness History is a brand new permanent visitor attraction located in the historical and iconic GPO building on O'Connell Street, Dublin. This highly interactive and spectacular visitor attraction focuses on the 1916 rising, the aftermath of this rebellion and also how Ireland has developed since. Experience the events from an eyewitness perspective of active participants on both sides and bystanders caught in the middle. This engaging and interactive experience brings history to life though electronic touch screens, video, audio visual booths, sound and authentic artifacts - many previously unseen. Relax afterwards in the café and browse the gift shop which overlooks the courtyard. This iconic venue is also available for private functions and events. Opens from 10am Monday-Saturday & 12pm on Sunday. Our Last Entry is 4.30PM - The centre stays open until 5.30PM.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 6 April 2018

If you want to find out more about the 1916 Easter Rising this is definitely the place to visit. Well put together displays, some interactive and informative videos throughout.

When I went, there were plenty of children there, so clearly a good place to bring them.

Lovely little cafe there too, with plenty of seating with friendly staff.

John H, Manager at GPO & GPO Witness History Visitor Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Dear Sue,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

Our café is also open to the public!

John

Write a ReviewReviews (1,912)
All reviews
in 181 reviews
"video"
in 152 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We went to the GPO today and it was good for the kids to see such a huge post office and buy something from there.The witness history visitor center is a bit expensive at 14 Euros.

Dear

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments,

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This museum served as a reminder that the heroes of Irish independence are mostly martyrs and opens the eyes to the tensions between England and Ireland for the last 100 years

Dear snookguy,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments, we really appreciate it. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I'm British and felt very much like I needed to visit here to understand the Easter Rising - we are not taught about it in school and it comes as a shock to us when we see anti-British comments on Facebook etc on Anglo-Irish subjects.

Most of us don't know what happened and why it happened.

I came away from it with a really good understanding of the events around Easter Week 1916 - the film was very, very good - I haven't seen anything explained in a historical attraction is such a clear way. I particularly found the interactive screens helpful in understanding the events of the week.

I have reflected a lot since I visited and the following is simply my opinion. Admittedly I do still feel it was opportunistic considering it was during WW1 and the ambush on the soldiers in O'Connell St after reading the proclamation of independence was under-hand - and a lot of civilians were caught up in the fighting. But once you realise this was the culmination of hundreds of years of the British treating the Irish like second-class citizens, it was a pressure cooker waiting to explode. I went in with an open mind, I've come away feeling compassion and understanding, and a great deal of respect for the Republic and what the country has become. I feel no 'them and us'. As a British person of catholic Irish heritage I've always struggled to understand where my identity fits in and to some extent still do - my family was in Warrington town centre when the IRA bombed us in 1993 - I did feel that the sectarian element and repercussions was glossed-over. I know it's about 1916, but I left feeling I needed to know more about the present-day impact.

1  Thank CommonSenseDani

Dear CommonSenseDani,

Thanks for talking the time to post your comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and found it enlightening. The visitor centre tells the story of the 1916 Easter Rising from all sides and we pride ourselves in that and we have won numerous awards for this.