“Date night!”

Castle Murray House
Ranked #16 of 71 Restaurants in Donegal Town
Price range: US$36 - US$51
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Castle Murray prides itself on its dedication and passion to achieving a consistently high quality dining experience. Our Head Chef Remy Dupuy, who has worked in Castle Murray since 1995, is well renowned for using the best of locally sourced produce to create dishes that once enjoyed will have you planning your next trip back to Castle Murray. Our evening dinner menu showcases the passion and talent of Remy and his team while giving the customers a gastronomic experience that is often mimicked but seldom equalled. Great care and attention to detail is given to the design, creation and delivery of each dish on the menu, which reflects the dedication and desire for greatness which motivates Remy and his team. If you haven't already heard about our House Special dish 'Prawn and Monkfish', then it is a must have. A dish so good it should have its own Appreciation Society! The dining room is refined yet comfortable, with a warm and welcoming ambiance that surrounds you once you enter the room. The striking views of St. John's Point and its natural beauty can be enjoyed throughout the dining room. Our restaurant has the added bonus of having a beautiful open fire, which in the winter, when the fire is roaring creates a warm and homely atmosphere that is much sought after on dark winter nights. Through the direction of the General Manager Marguerite Howley and our Maitre d'Hotel Fabrice Costes, a commitment to a professional and personable service is guaranteed to you. Along with our evening dinner menu, we offer a mouth watering 5 course Sunday Lunch that is extremely popular with people far and near. And if that hasn't tempted you 'foodies' out there then we are pleased to tell you that during the summer months we have a gourmet bar lunch menu available and an absurdly delicious and decadent Afternoon Tea service that is sure to tantalise those taste buds.
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We've always loved Castle Murray and our last visit was no exception. When we arrived, the electricity had gone out which was not their fault obviously and the staff were very good seeing to everyone's comfort. It came back on and after a short wait at the bar where our meal orders were taken, a waitress brought us to our table. The dining room was fairly busy for an early seating (7pm) and there was a nice buzz.

There was an olive and sun dried (or blushed) tomatoes tapenade on the table and a choice of three breads (tomato and cheddar, some kind of scone and a guinness soda bread). Followed by a pre starter of prawn cocktail which really whet the appetite.

We both went for the house specialty of the Prawns and Monkfish- just divine!

For mains, we both had steak. Sirloin for me and filet for the other half. Now, I do measure restaurants by how well then can cook a steak. I eat my steak blue, rare at the very most and it was perfect. Nice and crisp on the outside and meltingly scrumptious inside. My husbands filet was a perfectly cooked medium as well.

The mains were accompanied by sides of vegetable and creamed potatoes, both prepared and cooked well.

For dessert, I went for the selection platter - there was 4 different desserts, all of which you could get full sized. I couldn't decide which of the 4 were my favourite, they were all fantastic. There was a raspberry sorbet with a very light cheescake, valrohna chocolate something creme brulee, fresh strawberries and cream on a coconut shortbread and lastly the warm belgium chocolate cake. My husband ordered the warm chocolate cake, it was served with a citrus ice cream which was the perfect accompaniment, it cut through the gooeyness of the chocolate really well.

Lastly, tea and coffee with bailey's truffles.

The staff were attentive without being solicitous.

All in all, we had a wonderful evening, romantic, relaxed and would highly recommend it to everyone.

I only wish the photos could do the food justice! (PS thanks to my long suffering husband who waits patiently while I take picture of everything before he can eat it)

Note: The menu they have on their website varied from the one we had on the night. Some items were on it like the house specials and I presume they change the menu to suit what's seasonally available.

They are pet friendly and we saw a number of dogs with people who we presume were staying over night. As far as I know, they are only allowed in the public areas until a certain time (not in the dining room obviously) and it didn't bother us in the slightest but this could be make or break for other people.

Date of visit: March 2013
1  Thank Eats_me

Reviewed 16 March 2013

The setting is breath taking, and the restaurant and bar are gorgeous. The food was excellent, especially seafood, so fresh and tasty. service was also very good, and friendly. Worth a visit.

Date of visit: March 2013
Reviewed 5 March 2013

prawns and monkfish- amazing! beautiful hotel and lovely location . good for a special occasion dinner.

Date of visit: April 2012
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My boyfriend booked this as a surprise the day he proposed. We stayed in the honeymoon suite and the staff couldnt do enough to help look after us. Room was amazing superb views!

Dinner was busy for a wednesday night and the food was exceptional. Prawns and monkfish cannot be passed and the seafood mains were all sublime.

We've been several times for dinner and sunday lunch but staying overnight was a total luxury not to be missed.

Cant wait to return this summer!

Date of visit: August 2012
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Had a delightful meal for two on a wintery January Saturday night.
Welcome, warmth, food, atmosphere, service all 10/10