2,666 results
All reviews cedars restaurant gallery bar lough eske thermal suite star hotel courtyard room underfloor heating beautiful grounds steam room main building five star four poster bed bar food pancakes omelette treated like royalty first class
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There are castle stays and then there's Lough Eske! The castle and grounds are stunning. I've NEVER had more friendly staff, ever, than I had here. For under $300 per night this is the best value I've ever experienced! The rooms are HUGE and very well appointed, with a super comfortable bed. The lobby and everything is pure 5 star. Though we didn't do the spa it looks amazing and huge. This was far and above the best stay in all Ireland. The restaurant was outstanding and the food/service beyond exceptional. I cannot rave enough about this place. I would give it 20 stars if I could. I want to go back....tomorrow and thereafter.... :(

Room Tip: We spent $300 for not the basic room, but one step up. GREAT VALUE!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed over here for three nights, pure luxury. Lovely drive on back roads and so surprised when we drove in. Fabulous looking castle with lovely grounds. Staff can't do enough for u from the concierge to the reception staff to bar staff. Rooms are fab, so spacious, amazing bed, huge bathroom. Decor is beautiful throughout. Food is very tasty and such an atmosphere in the bar with everyone around enjoying themselves. Loads of sitting room type areas to chill, read your book, sip on a glass of vino! Thursday Friday & Saturday nights there's live music which adds to your stay. Alan in the bar was so nice on our first night there but such a pity he wasn't working for our next two. Breakfast is perfect, buffet style with loads of gluten free choices. Really enjoyed sitting in the booths! Loads of walks on the grounds which we enjoyed. Popped into the spa one afternoon but didn't stay as there was no room to sit in the relaxation room and it was so bright in there. Definitely recommend a stay here at some stage as it's such an amazing place.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Driving up to Lough Eske Castle takes your breath away. Solis took the crumbling ruins of this treasure, gave it lots of love, and turned it in to fairy tale!
There are scattered pictures of the ruins before renovations, on the elevator for example, be sure to notice.
We stayed three nights in a Junior Suite. A spacious room with a sitting room, the large bed area, a dressing area, and large bathroom.
Explore all of the Castle areas. There are 2 sitting rooms with fire places, a billiard room, a library, a downstairs bar etc. Magnificent!
The staff, but for a few, were friendly, helpful, mannerly and kind. We spent a lot of time in the bar off of the main entrance - fantastic food and service.
Lough Eske Castle is well known for the Spa Services offered. The services were exceptional, the staff extraordinary! The pool, hot spa, sauna and steam rooms were so rejuvenating. The facilities for cleaning up after swimming etc are nice but you must bring everything with you. Not even a comb is provided. The after swim showers are push button that flow approximately 10 seconds before needing pushed again. I found this baffling. Surrounded by luxury, but after swim shower time strictly limited.
There are no doormen available at the ready. If you wish to have help with your luggage, or valet parking, you have to leave your car and go in and request help. Then there is only one, and if he is occupied you must wait and wait until he is available. And you will need help! To enter with your luggage is a 10-12 step climb.
Lough Eske Castle is the only hotel in the world (let alone a 5 Star Hotel) where my room was not cleaned for the day. We placed the “please service room” sign in our door when we left the morning of our third day. When we returned at 3pm and the room had not been cleaned. I called to request service and 3:30pm was arranged. We were given clean towels, clean glasses and the bed had been made but not changed - as requested. We were shocked and disappointed. I went to reception and complained. “Did I want the sheets changed now?” No I wanted them changed at 3:30 as agreed. “Did I want the room cleaned now?” No I wanted it cleaned at 3:30 as agreed.
When we returned to our room after dinner there was a card of apology hand written, and a bottle of Champaign with glasses. I found this wildly inappropriate. I would have much rather had my bathroom cleaned as agreed, as you can expect at a Holiday Inn, and for what I had paid. Rather irritating.
It begs the question, who sets the standards for 5 Star Awards? Does the coveted fifth star really mean anything if all holders of it vary in quality? In cleaning their guests rooms?
I do recommend a stay at Lough Eske Castle. I also recommend a 4 Star rating for Lough Eske Castle.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is our second visit to the hotel and it didn't disappoint. The staff are friendly and always happy to help. The bedroom was large comfortable. I love the bathrooms at the hotel well laid out.

Bar & restaurant food was good. Although the restaurant no longer do the fine dining we experienced on our last stay; with amuse-bouche, etc. Great selection of gin & whiskey in the bar. As part of our stay we booked the whiskey tasting which proved interesting and we
would recommened.

We both had a massage. I really enjoyed the pumice massage; very relaxing and Catriona the therapist was excellent.

Will visit again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

When ever in Donegal I always go for lunch in Lough Eske Castle in the bar. They do a first class seafood chowder with lovely brown bread for €8. That usually fills me for lunch! The bar, atmosphere and staff are all very nice. The hotel is a bit too dear to stay in, but gives a great lunch at a great price!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo