All reviews market house national holidays sister hotel public car park hen party coach tour caledonian travel town square third floor lovely town double bed hotel bar enjoyable stay course meal room was large reel inn food was lovely
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Right from the start things went poorly. With a lobby under renovation check in was made difficult by talking over saws and sanders. I understand that the hotel needs to update, but during renovations you make accommodations, such as moving check in location out of the dust. Arrived before the promised 3 PM check in time on the reservation but was told check in would not happen until 3:30 or 4:00 PM. Walking the hall to the room I realized they had the light fixtures on movement detectors, so as you walked toward each fixture the compact fluorescent blinked on and then off as you passed giving the halls an overall "prison" like environment. Room has tired furniture. One light is not working, another fixture lacks a bulb. The bathroom smells of mold and we were missing towels, which were later brought fresh out of the laundry. The hair dryer attached to the wall doesn't work and has a layer of dust on it. I requested a room with view through Expedia messaging. The hotel acknowledged my request but when checking in I was told there was nothing notated on my reservation. The reservation also indicated free parking. But I was told that I had to park in the city lot and pay E1.50 per day. All in all, we would have skipped to another hotel but we were here for only one night. Thank the Goddess.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location has great reception staff very helpful rooms good. But the food and waiting staff leave a lot to be desired , breakfast was a nightmare all tables full of used plates and cups nowhere to sit . Then asked for full breakfast and the girl serving used the same tongs for everything glad I was not a vegitarian did not even get offered a pot of tea or coffee was there for 45 minutes shame on them as other staff were professional at all times

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 747Andy1962
Reviewed 5 September 2018

My husband and I booked into the Abbey Hotel to celebrate our 46th wedding anniversary. We initially booked a two night retirement package but were enjoying ourselves so much we extended it to a three night deal. The reception staff are extremely helpful,friendly and efficient. We were allocated a lovely big room and a bottle of prosecco to help us celebrate. Breakfast every morning in the dining room was delicious and the serving staff were very helpful and friendly. Every evening we had dinner in the Market House Restaurant in the Hotel. Our dinner was included in our package and it was absolutely delicious every evening so tasty, a big “Well Done”to the chef. Ann Boyle restaurant manager and her staff do an excellent job at keeping the customers very happy. The restaurant caters extremely well for coeliacs. Every night in the hotel there is entertainment and as I said there is always a great buzz about the hotel. I would recommend this hotel and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We had a room to the back of the hotel and it was very quiet
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2018

Very impressive hotel outside and inside. BUT beds are lousy they have certainly seen better days rooms are quiet which was good. Absolutely terrible breakfast, cramped area for guests to squeeze along with a tray. Buns stale, no fruit or pastries, ran out of green tea.. passageways to rooms auto light as you got near overhead lights, our passage the lights were not working. Told staff nothing was done about it. Lots of other accom in Donegal to pick from.

Room Tip: Ask to see it first or go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Visited the hotel with my elderly mother august 2018. There is no available parking near the hotel and we were forced to get my mother to wheel herself up from the local public car park, and then I had to park in the bus area, to onload all our bags, and then drive the car back to the public car park. The hotel itself was grimey and definitely not worth what they are charging.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else that is clean and has parking
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family