“Heaven in a Superior Lakeshore Suite”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

We have been coming to Harvey's Point for 10 years now and reckon this was visit number 10 or 11. We have stayed in Penthouse, Premium and Executive suites. A few years ago the older Courtyard Suites, which we have not stated in, were converted to the new Lakeshore Suites by doubling them in size but halving the number and converting the access walkway on the lake ward side to private verandas. During previous visit the concierge kindly showed us round one of the new suites. We decided to book one the next time we came so about three or four visits later we finally managed to get one : a Superior Lake Shore Suite. There are two of these one at either end of the building. Judging by the evacuation route drawing on the door they are about twice the size of the standard lakeshores, smaller than the Penthouse suites but I would guess bigger than the others categories in the main hotel building.
The suite has a bedroom at one end which includes a large seating area with two settees and a wide screen TV and two bedside armchairs, large wardrobe and other storage space. At the lakeshore end is the lounge, about the same size as the bed room, I am guessing about 7m by 4 or 5m. On one side there was dining table with six chairs, a sink, minibar and shelves. On the other was a coffee table with seating for about six people and another TV. The large floor to ceiling windows look across a short expanse of beautiful garden to Lough Eske and give access to the veranda. This was huge it actually extended slightly beyond the end of the building, I would say about 3m deep and 8m long. One one side was a coffee table with a settee and two arm chairs on the other a two seater dining table. We were very fortunate to get the best weather of the year so far which combined with the flowers, the early foliage on the trees, the beautifully maintained gardens, an inlet from the Lough spanned by the Lover's Bridge and Lough Eske itself with the mountains behind made the view from the veranda absolutely sublime. We used it as much as possible with breakfast one morning and one evening meal plus a few relaxing drinks and just sitting taking in the views. The veranda is covered which would give protection from rain under most circumstances.
The large bathroom is between the bedroom and lounge and has a large shower and a freestanding bath. There is also a second WC and basin on the other side of the corridor. There is a covered walk way to the main hotel building.
I cannot recommend these rooms highly enough !
The rooms are also pet friendly and give ready access to a grassy hill behind the hotel away from guests to let dogs do the necessary. They are easily big enough to accommodate the largest dog crate without it being in the way.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2016

Dear John,

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed account of your visit to Harvey's Point. We appreciate your high recommendation of the recently renovated Lakeshore Suites. It's great to know that you were impressed by their design and size.

We genuinely appreciate your continued loyalty over the years. This means so much to us. Rest assured that we will remain focussed on maintaining and improving our product and service so that Harvey's Point keeps its place at the top of the class.

Please let me know whenever you plan your next visit. I would love to meet you and thank you personally. In the meantime, on behalf of everyone at Harvey's Point, thank you and best wishes.

Deirdre

Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

Cannot say enough praise for this place! Amazing, tranquil views from the lakeside suite balcony! Michelle at reception was exceptional in her service! I've never experienced such genuine and thoughtful caring for our comfort and enjoyment. We're Hilton vacation club owners and have always enjoyed our experience there, but Hilton ought to study Harvey's Point! Exceptional!!!
The food? Omg!!!!!!! To die for! Absolutely gorgeous!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather H

Dear Heather,

Thank you most sincerely for your kind compliments following your recent visit to Harvey's Point. It gives us great pleasure to welcome guests to our hotel and feedback like yours is a great source of encouragement to our entire team. We are honoured to receive such high praise from a well travelled guest such as yourself. Thank you for your vote of confidence.

Deirdre & Marc

Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed for one night and had the Sunday carvery. The bedroom was really good and we enjoyed the time there. Jacuzzi bath was perfect with a couple of very well mixed mojitos from the bar!

The carvery didn't meet the standards set by the room. First offering was vegetable soup and it was a thick blended broth. Then the starter course was from a large range buffet. Even with the amount of choice on offer I struggled to find any of the salads, hot starters or seafood really appealing. Some through the taste and others from sitting about too long and having lost a good deal of vitality. I was still able to assemble enough for myself to fill a plate.

Main course had full range of dietary options but the main event was a canteen line-up for a roast dinner of choice. Lamb, beef, turkey with ham and pork loin on offer. I opted for sirloin which was way too dry even for carvery. Next was your choice of vegetables with five variations of potatoes, roasted carrots & parsnips, turnip and carrot puree, cabbage with bacon, Yorkshire pudding and stuffing. The Yorkshire puddings were the only disappointing selection here. Would also suggest that a good addition to the vegetables could be a green one, white cabbage doesn't count. Then your choice of sauce and condiments. All the sauces were too thick and some tasted of bouillon and salt only.

Finally the dessert offering was a return to buffet action with a full range of sponge cakes, fresh crepes, fruit and lots of condiments along with ice cream too. At this stage my whole body is buckling to the demand on my guts to process the avalanche of food that has landed in it. The physical necessity to be lying down has overwhelmed my sweet tooth and with sheer will power and perseverance I manage to take a slice of blackforest gateaux, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and one marshmallow dipped in the chocolate fountain!

Needless to say the level of bloating afterwards almost hit critical mass. I did enjoy it but left feeling that a bit more tlc would have ensured better standard for the buffet courses and good sirloin should not be over done.

The breakfast next morning was a mixture of buffet hot foods, full range of meats, cheeses, cereals, fruits and dairy. There was also a menu with a range of freshly cooked dishes, eggs benedict etc. Again I fed like a medieval Prince but was much more impressed with everything at this sitting and I thoroughly enjoyed everything.

The staff are very friendly and attentive to the guests, I always felt genuine interest to guests needs and wants.

The setting and grounds are well maintained with the hotel being positioned beautifully on the lough eske shore with the sun setting in the opposite direction, west behind a mountain backdrop. It was a rare day in donegal as the sunshine bathed the hotel all day and made for a great sunset that evening.

I would prefer that a hotel of this standard had more recreational activities available, a pool etc.

Overall we had a great time. I personally wouldn't go for carvery again but I did see their main dining menu and would really like to eat and stay again sometime.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Mark M
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2016

Dear Mark,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your recent experience at Harvey's Point. Please be assured that we take all guest feedback seriously and use it constructively in order to maintain and improve the high standards we set ourselves in terms of food and service.

It's good to know that you enjoyed the accommodation, hospitality and the breakfast. I have discussed your comments in relation to the Sunday Carvery Lunch offering with Chris our Head Chef. There are of course some points you refer to that we will work on. Our dedicated kitchen brigade strive for perfection in every dish.

We hope you will make plans for a return visit to sample our fine dining menu which we think will impress you. Please let me know if I personally can assist you with a future reservation.

Thank you once again for your most valuable feedback.

Deirdre

Reviewed 11 May 2016

Spent my birthday at Harvey's Point and had an absolutely amazing stay. The views over the lake are absolutely breathtaking and the rooms are fantastic! A special thanks to our bartender Kelly who provided some great ideas on places to visit and great service! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank erindoherty

Dear Erin,

Congratulations on your recent birthday and thank you for choosing Harvey's Point for the celebrations. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable experience.

Colm, our barman and the entire team join in sending you our warmest wishes and kind regards.

Deirdre & Marc

Reviewed 11 May 2016

I am not a person for writing reviews our family experience here was just something else that I feel it is important to share. I am came for a weekend with my parents for their birthday with our pet shitzu and stayed in the little apartments off of the hotel.

From start to finish our whole experience was nothing but exceptional. I have never experienced such open and warm hospitality. The staff were incredible from concierge, reception, housekeeping,to the bar and restaurant. The staff are a true credit to the hotel and it is obvious to see why so many guests return.

Both of our rooms were absolutely immaculate - especially considering that pets are allowed in there. (and I have OCD when it comes to cleanliness!)

The food was superb, the quality and choice for breakfast was fantastic. After dinner staff had arranged for a special dessert to celebrate the birthday occasion which was such a lovely thought.

The location itself is stunning and the views are breathtaking. We like to get out and about when travelling but we were so taken back by the hotel that we stayed indoors for the whole weekend.

The only "negative" point I have to make is that we did not stay long enough. We all left with heavy hearts on the Sunday as we absolutely LOVED it there!

I hope to return in the summer but will stay for much longer.

Five Stars all round.

Room Tip: apartments off the hotel had amazing views and a lovely patio where you can sit out! all very privat...