“Helena is the best.”

Achill House B&B
Achill House B&B
Ranked #38 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We stayed here for two days with our fourteen-year-old son. Helena McSweeney, the proprietor, is a warm and very friendly person. We had some great conversations with her and felt like friends when we left. The B&B is in a good location, close enough to downtown Cork to walk, but not so close that it is loud. Room was good size. Bathroom quite large with a jacuzzi which I really needed for a pulled back muscle one night. The breakfasts had the most selection and best quality of the three places we stayed in Ireland. The selling point for this B&B, however, is Helena herself. She went out of her way to help us, even letting my husband sit in her kitchen to use his laptop connected to the modem with a wire, as his computer wasn't accessing the wireless. (It was a problem with his computer, not her wireless). We felt welcomed and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 June 2009

Close to the centre of the city. A comfortable room on the top floor: clean, quiet and private. Great breakfasts that filled me up so to be ready to spend an entire day working and walking without needing to worry about hunger pangs! with homemade cookies and brown bread, an unexpected treat. Gracious hostess, would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed one night and it was an absolute pleasurable experience. The room was clean and comfortable and the people were very welcoming! I would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Now, I have to honest and say that I didn't stay here but I had an excellent experience with Helena McSweeney, the proprietor.
We were to fly into Heathrow from Montana and then travel on to Cork. We knew we would be exhausted and I checked very carefully into B&B's in Cork City. Comparing price, location, amenities etc. I settled on Achill House. After some very cordial correspondence with Helena, we booked and paid for our first night in Ireland. I e-mail my family who live on the Beara and told them our plans. They called us immediately and said that they had planned on picking us up at the airport. I had not wanted to inconvenience them but they were insistent. I contacted Helena via e-mail and told her the situation and without question or hesitation, she responded very positively, not charging us for our reservation and wishing us well and happy travels. My experience with this woman is positive enough for me to recommend that if you are looking for a B&B in Cork City, be sure to check into Achill House. Brilliant!

Reviewed 29 May 2009

Stayed here for just one night and I was made to feel at home straight away. I was greeted with a cuppa and biscuits after a long drive and made to feel at home. The breakfast was great and I was allowed to leave my car parked a little longer while I looked around the city before driving on to Dubli. I would recommend theis B&B to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo