All reviewswestern roadcity centreboiled eggsfifteen minute walkcomfortable staycooked breakfastyogurthot waterring roadsconesbus stopbed was comfortabledominicunauccaccommodationbnb
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We recently stayed at Acton Lodge, and found it to have lovely clean rooms and a nice breakfast (although hard eggs two days in a row was disappointing!). The hot water took a long time to warm up, so we were waiting quite a while to have our shower. The persona of the hostess was nice enough, however it felt as though she was watching over our shoulders the entire time which made our two day stay a little uncomfortable. It is about a 20-30min walk into the city centre, but this was no problem for us. Parking was secure and safe. It would have benefited from tea and coffee making facilities.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A D
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I would highly recommend Acton Lodge to anyone. The owners were extremely accommodating and friendly. My 2 friends and I stayed there for 2 nights during the Jazz weekend and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast each morning was delicious and plenty of it. Acton Lodge is very central and is walking distance of pubs, restaurants and bars. A very pleasurable stay and great value for money!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My wife and have returned here a number of times and every time we are extended a proper Irish welcome. We have stayed in 3 of the rooms and found them all very nice. Our friends stayed in the house at the end of the garden with a large group and loved it. The location is perfect for us. Fitzgeralds park is behind the house for walks along the river and the town centre is only 10-15 mins walk. As many here have already said the breakfast is superb and I even managed to persuade them to give me the soda bread recipe last time!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank monkeywoof
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Having read the generally very positive reviews about this B&B on Tripadvisor, I was very disappointed by my recent stay at the Acton Lodge.

Subsequent to making a telephone booking on a Thursday, I arrived as agreed between 3-4 pm the following Monday. The proprietress of the B&B answered the door. When I gave her my name she did not invite me in, but instead informed me brusquely on the doorstep that I had been moved to another B&B. When I asked why, she replied that the B&B was full and there was no room for me. No explanation was provided, nor an apology offered.

I politely persisted, and was eventually allowed to enter the B&B to discuss the matter. During this conversation in the entrance foyer I learned that my booking had been taken by the woman's daughter, who was visiting from England. Apparently she should not have made the booking, as it clashed with another booking for a mother and child. While sympathetic in the circumstances, it was unclear to me why I hadn't been contacted in advance of my trip to Cork. I also pointed out that at the time of the booking, the person who took it had checked the bookings log and confirmed that a room was available. Moreover, my credit card and contact details were taken to secure the room. (In retrospect, this suggests to me that the conflicting booking was almost certainly taken after my own.) Confronted with this information, the proprietress relented and showed me to my room (number 5) in the B&B annexe at the back of the house.

The room, an attic conversion, was appalling. The bed sheets were soiled, the carpet was heavily stained and dirty, the wardrobe was minuscule and insufficiently deep to hang more than two or three items of clothing sideways, the radiator in the room did not work (and there were no spare blankets for the bed), the lighting was dim, the sink taps let out only a trickle of water, the toilet rolls were left on the towels, and the shower consisted of a small area of the bathroom set off only by a very dirty and drooping shower curtain. The most that can be said positively about the accommodation is that the towels were reasonably clean, the shower water hot, and the room very quiet. The location of the B&B is also good, perhaps a far walk into the city centre but close to University College Cork.

Having resolved to raise these issues with the manager in the morning, I ultimately decided not to because of the friendly welcome I received at breakfast. In fairness to the owners, while the food was nothing out of the ordinary the atmosphere in the breakfast room was warm and welcoming and the kitchen staff accommodating. But for one further minor detail, I probably would have simply forgotten about the entire experience and not posted this review. The minor detail to which I refer is this: at check-out I was informed that the charge for single room B&B accommodation was 50 Euro. When I asked if this was the standard rate, I was assured that it was. However, I subsequently learned that single rooms with breakfast are available online at a cheaper rate. In short, I was being charged more than others for what surely must have been the worst room in the B&B (and if it was not, then I would certainly not recommend this accommodation to anybody).

Based on my experience, I would advise a degree of caution before booking into this B&B. I could well imagine that a stay here might be very pleasant, but at the very least all bookings (and especially telephone bookings) should be confirmed in writing, rates quoted over the telephone compared with current rates available online, and a special request made for any room other than annexe number 5.

Room Tip: Avoid annexe room number 5.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Guest47
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Very nice B&B - good location (about 15 minutes to city centre), good friendly and helpful owners, comfortable room, car parking. Good breakfast. Free wi-fi connection.
We can recommend this place for everybody.
Thanks!