New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Waterford
“Lick of Paint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Just back from a weekend in Cork, where I stayed at the Imperial Hotel on South Mall. This wasn't my first stay here and as usual I wasn't disappointed. We arrived and were greeted in the usual friendly manner. Unfortunately though the hotel which aparantly is the oldest in Cork City is starting to show its age. There are a couple of telltale signs of the hotel just wearing out.

On our first night there we had to change rooms due to noise from the street below. The room we were in was on the third floor overlooking the land linking South Mall to Oliver Plunkett street, and between the shouting from the people using the fish hatch and the noise of traffic on South Mall and the lane it was impossible to sleep. I know its a city centre hotel and traffic is expected, but if I can get a restful nights sleep at an airport hotel I don't see why I can't at a city centre hotel. BUT we approached reception and were switched straight away with the minimum of fuss to a lovely room in the centre of the hotel.

Other little things are cracks in the bathroom fixtures and squeeky floors, and a broken shower door in the second room. Like I said a lick of paint and a bit of DIY and its perfect..

We ate in the restaurant the first night and couldn't fault the food in any way (if I had a gripe, its that the main course arrived to quickly after the starter was cleared, but that is the most minor of minor things) The breakfasts were delicious and fresh and there was a great choice.

Finally I'd like to point out the exceptional staff, we had the issue with noise on the first night and they couldn't have been nicer. But even when we were passing in and out, or just general enquiries they were lovely.

All in all I would defintely return to the Imperial time and time again. If I might recommend getting there around Christmas too, the lobby always looks fantastic with the tree and decorations.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GBarrettWaterford
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for our shortcomings in relation to your room experience and welcome your constuctive comments. Your positive feedback towards the Pembroke Seafood Bar & Grill and all personnel is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Joe Kennedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

If I travelled to cork again I would rather sleep on the street than stay in the Imperial. We were part of a group booking that stays there every year for the past number of years. I got the impression that the staff felt that they had a right to this booking and were not interested in helping me out in any way. I was told that that the 'group' had a special rate yet when I searched their website I found that the rate being charged was far cheaper than the special deal given to our group. (over 80 people). When I asked for this deal, the girl on reception (louise i think - but could be wrong) actually argued with me and was sarcastic to the last when I demanded the rate quoted on line.

I was to have a superior room, but ended up in a shoebox of a room where I had to put the ironing board on the bed to iron my clothes.

Breakfast was cold, lacking inspiration and overall very poor.

i would never book this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank ash b
Dear Guest,

Again thank you for your feedback. We have communicated by email regarding this review and I very much so look forward to welcoming you all back next year.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Enjoyed midweek break at this hotel. Great value with very comfortable room. Ideal location for events like Jazz and Film Festival. Lunch at Farm Centre was included in deal and it's not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back during the year.#

laois ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

this is our second time to stay at this wonderful hotel. Wonderful location, helpful and friendly staff. Parking expensive but well worth it for the hotels location in the centre of the city. Food really good, both breakfast and evening meals. Phillipino waitress (think name is Chemo) was so friendly and helpful and made us feel so relaxed. couple of small gripes, room smelt of smoke when we entered, toiletries sparse, just bring your own.bedrooms very warm but otherwise brilliant

Room Tip: we had room at front but that might be too noisey at weekend
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

The hotel has a very grand lobby and beautiful drinking and dining areas. The rooms are clean and spacious though slightly less grand than the public areas would suggest.

Breakfast was very good with plenty of hot and cold choices and pastries, and the hotel is really well located close to main shopping streets and round the corner from Canty's bar.

There was a Christmas do going on downstairs in the hotel and this was very noisy. A few people I spoke to had called down to reception to complain but the noise went on very late. Might be wise to check if any functions are on before booking as the noise can be heard right throughout the hotel from function rooms.

I enjoyed my stay and would not let this put me off in future.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business