“Fantastic Paella”

Ranked #152 of 720 Restaurants in Cork
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 November 2015

There are some mixed reviews but I'm with the majority who seem to think the glass (and the plate) are more than half full.

I had the best paella I've ever tasted, with a glass of unoaked Chardonnay - heaven!

My wife, mother in law and the kids were also very happy with their meals.

Yes, it is small and very popular so it can feel a bit cramped, but the staff who served us were attentive, we didn't have a long wait for food and there was a nice buzz about the place.

Would definitely recommend giving it a go

Reviewed 19 October 2015

This restaurant was my favourite in Cork for quite a while. There are some incredible positives and some awful negatives, and I really think with a small change this place could be 10 out of 10 across the board.
Pro: Tapas to die for. Literally. You have never eaten anything like this.
Con: They changed the menu. Half the nicest tapas are no longer there!

Pro: The Tapas. Again. They were worth mentioning twice
Con: The a la carte menu tastes like it came out of a jar. How can a place serve such superior creative tapas and fail so badly on basic pasta dishes?

Pro: The staff of this restaurant are some of the nicest staff I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I swear if I was opening a restaurant in the morning, the three main staff from this restaurant would be poached to work there, whatever the cost. The effort to constantly go above and beyond is a credit to them.
Con: The owner is obnoxious. My partner and I brought our parents here for dinner, maybe Xmas '13 or thereabouts. Rang for reservation. "We can get you a table for 7pm but it's booked again for 8.45". I said no problem, I knew we would be 90 mins tops. We arrived, owner was working, she reminded us as we sat down that we needed to be gone at 8.45. Annoyed me a little, especially in company that i had raved to about this restaurant. Ordered all the tapas in the world (before they changed menu!). Food was as exquisite as always, our friendly waitress (I don't know her name but she is fantastic) looked after us etc etc. About 8 o'clock, the owner starts hovering, "Can I get you anything else?". Yes, we'll have coffee please. Might as well have threatened to murder her family, with the reaction we got. We were done by 8.30, loads of time, coffee drank, bill paid, ready to go, owner staring at us as if some cataclysm is about to occur if we don't leave. Some people came into the restaurant, and the owner came over and said "the people with the 8.45 booking have arrived early, can I ask you to leave the table?". My parents were embarrassed, my girlfriend's mother was embarrassed, and i was livid.
HOW does someone with such a lack of common manners and cop on actually manage to own and run a restaurant? Then it occurred to me that maybe that's exactly the point, she doesn't. I haven't seen her since, and as stated above, the staff have always always been fantastic here. Maybe she should stay at home?
Restaurants do two sittings for various reasons, sometimes it's greed, sometimes they simply need the revenue, and most of them understand that the person on the earlier reservation is well aware that there is a soft time limit on the dinner, even if it's not openly stated. Well it was openly stated that night, and I was disgusted.

Anyway, rant over. The staff here are fabulous (minus the owner). The tapas here are unreal (bring back the old favourites please, it's the reason people came back!). Main courses need a bit of attention, but when the tapas are so good, you just eat tapas. 2-3 per person and you won't eat for a few days (they are big tapas). We'll definitely return, we must have eaten here 15-20 times and had a truly 5/5 experience for most of them. Just hard to be honest in a review and call out the bad, when this place and it's wait staff have so so many good things about them.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

We decided to try this restaurant as we've frequently passed by, but hadn't gone in - we were delighted with the choice. This was in celebration of a birthday; we had a lovely comfortable table, a great menu with food that everyone at the table loved, reasonable prices, and a lovely atmosphere. The only downside is that it's small and the parking is a nightmare.

Reviewed 19 July 2015 via mobile

Visted with German, Japanese and Korean people for business dinner. We shared tapas for starters and main courses and everyone was really impressed with the quality of the food and presentation.
One of our visitors was wine expert and was very complimentary of the selection and prices.
The service was wonderful.

Reviewed 17 July 2015

Great service and excellent food. We really enjoyed it. We ordered from both the tapas and main menu. Both offered good variety, quality ingredients and tasty dishes.