“Excellent hotel, service and Irish hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blarney Castle Hotel

Blarney Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Blarney
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel, service and Irish hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

My wife and I have stayed in many hotels both business and pleasure on our travels and quite simply this is our favourite of them all, we can't remember how many times we have been - we love it so much we even had our wedding here even though we live in the UK !
As soon as you step through the front door into the quaint hotel reception and your bags are carried to your room you know you've arrived in a different place , one where all stresses dissappear, you know for the duration of your stay you will be treated to wonderful experience. Ian and Una are excellent hosts, nothing is to much trouble, their staff are charming, hard working, very helpful and above all genuine.
The hotel is sited on the village green nestled at the foot of Blarney castle, rooms are large clean and spacious with en suite and many overlook the green. The hotel has a traditional bar where you can sit and mingle with the locals, as first and foremost, it is a real Irish bar serving the community and toursists alike you will certainly make some friends. Live traditional folk music is oftened played but if its not, Shamus is always happy to sing Danny Boy !
As far as food goes it is excellent whether you decide to eat in the restaurant or have a bar snack. The menu is changed regularly and uses local Irish producers and is of a very high standard. The breakfasts are fantastic whether its porridge, full Irish, gypsy toast, smoked fish, or, if you aren't hungry fresh home baked daily scones or soda bread will suffice.
We have recommended this hotel to many of our friends and familiy all of whom loved it, and many have also gone on to be regulars like ourselves.
We were last with Ian and Una just a few weeks ago but will be going again later in the year.
Until then Ian and Una thanks again and we will see you soon.

Nav and Julie

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd floor overlooking the village green.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank j j
blarneycastlehotel, Manager at Blarney Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Guests, Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of Blarney Castle Hotel. We are delighted that you both enjoyed the hospitality of Blarney Castle Hotel and that you come back to Blarney for a stressfree holiday every so often. We look forward to seeing you both again soon. With kind regards Una Forrest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Damascus, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Wonderful hotel with large rooms. Service was top notch. On our last night my wife asked if there was a laundramat close by, the staff took care of the arrangments, and returned our items that evening. Breakfast was more than enough to see us through the day, and quite tasty. Service in the resturaunt couldn't be better.
Location a five minute walk from Blarney Castle. Yes five minutes even for old tired Americans. Quiet village green across the street, made sleeping easy even for the jet laged among us.
Music in the pub, pretty much every night was great entertainment, and the pub staff is top notch. This is a good chance to mix with the locals, hear some great music, and get a feel for the real Ireland.
I'm not a wealthy person, and I must plane my time off carefully. That being said, the Blarney Castle Hotel, will be on my list of places to return to.
Need I add, "Highly recomended".

Room Tip: Our room veiwed out over the town square. Can't speak for the other options, but ours was great.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rlklaus
blarneycastlehotel, Manager at Blarney Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Guest, Many thank for your recent post on Tripadvisor of your recent stay in Blarney Castle Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Traditional Irish Hospitality here in Blarney and enjoyed the good food and music. Many thanks Una Forrest, Manager
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I recently had a 2 night stay at the Blarney Castle Hotel, and it was an excellent experiece. From the gracious woman who checked me in on arrival, to my check out, it was a postive expience. Una even called the bus station in Cork for service times to Killarney. Wonderul location to visit Blarney Castle. If you are there on a Tuesday, the session in the hotel pub is brilliant! Thank you all for the wonderful beginning to my holiday in Ireland..

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kate1900
blarneycastlehotel, Manager at Blarney Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of the Blarney Castle Hotel of your recent stay. We value what our guest say about their stay and we try to enhance their stay as much as possible. I am delighted that you enjoyed the traditional music on Tuesday. We have traditional irish music playing every Tuesday and feel it is an added value to guests while staying in the hotel. With kind regards Una Forrest, Manager
Banbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

booked this hotel through internet, I would highly recommend this hotel, excellent staff, our bags were carried to our room from our car, friendly greeting and very cheery staff, special mention for Connie who works between reception and the bar, couldn't do enough for you.Large bedroom with a very comfortable bed. excellent choice for breakfast in the mornings served by a very pleasant young waitress from Finland ( forgot to ask her name).
All in all a great stay in Blarney made even better by the hotel and staff.

Room Tip: all rooms seem to of equal quality
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimMajor
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Blarney Castle Hotel and value all of our guest opinions of their stay. We hope to see you again.

With kind regards Una Forrest.,Manager
Stoke-on-Trent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I have just returned from working at Blarney Castle and during my visit stayed at the Blarney Castle Hotel.

I must say that the hotel is very friendly and clean and the food was excellent it really was. The room was massive as was the bed and very comfortable.

However one thing to watch….. on check in the lady asked for my card (credit card or debit card) which I gave to her. As with most hotels now a day you expect to have your card authorised when the room has been paid up front to ensure you don’t leave without paying room charges etc. She proceeded to take off a penny. Now I can totally appreciate it’s only a penny but the penny was not holding in the account for authorisation as you would expect, she in fact took the penny. Naturally I queried the transaction immediately. She told me that “all hotels do this and it’s only a penny”. I totally appreciate it’s only a penny but as you will know if you run a transaction through from another country the bank may or may not charge you for that transaction depending on your account. All she could say was that ‘it’s only a penny and all hotels over the world do this’.

I’m sorry but I was not happy with this and explained that I would be settling my outstanding account when I left with cash. I explained that other guest’s regardless of the amount may or may not get a charge from their bank if you remove cash and naturally wanted that penny to be put back on my card. She seemed totally taken back by the request stating her original argument ‘that it was only a penny and all hotels do this’ but she did agree to speak with the hotel manager and would let me know the outcome. She found me within 20 minutes and said the manager had agreed to refund the penny back to my card.

My colleague took note and said he wouldn’t have even noticed what had happened had I not pointed it out. I have not checked to see if the penny has been returned or not but thought I should make other travellers aware. I must also point out that at no point was the staff member rude she was in fact totally lovely as were all the staff.

Would I stay again absolutely!!!

Room Tip: I was in room 28 and my colleague in 29 bothe were huge and clean,
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Bekki P
blarneycastlehotel, Manager at Blarney Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Dear Guest, Many thanks for choosing to stay at Blarney Castle Hotel while in Blarney. I am delighted that you enjoyed your guest room and the good food we served. Upon check-in we usually swipe a guest credit card through for 1 cent to confirm card details etc. are valid and correct which is our policy here and also in others hotels. This is informed to the guests at that point and whatever balance is due is paid at point of check-out. Once again thank you for taking the time to make a review on Blarney Castle Hotel and we look forward to you staying with us again in the future. With kind regards Una Forrest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blarney
Centre
Lancaster Lodge
#8 of 23 in Cork
Douglas
Maryborough Hotel & Spa

Been to Blarney Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!