See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at the Admiralty Lodge in Spanish Point, near Miltown Malby, Co. Clare.(August 1-3 2008). I had read the previous reviews of other travellers and they proved true. This is a very lovely hotel in a peaceful setting. We booked the Executive Suite and the photos on the website don't lie. The room was beautiful and tastefully decorated. The four poster bed was huge and so comfortable with crisp sheets and comfy duvet.The bathroom had a separate shower and bath and was sparklingly clean as was the rest of the room. A leather sofa and chairs along with fireplace and flat screen tv only added to the feeling of pure elegance.
We chose to have dinner at the hotel as Aoife had emailed me the week before asking if we would like to have dinner during our stay. Im so glad we did. The food was gorgeous and wonderfully presented. The staff were attentive but not fawning. We were served by a lovely local lady who comes in to do meals. She has been with Aoife and Pat for several years and came with them to the Admiralty Lodge from a previous hotel they operated in the area.Other wait staff were equally pleasant and efficient The menu for dinner offers several selections in all categories at a set price. I had the salmon and my husband chose the fillet of beef which he said was wonderful. My salmon was great and perfectly cooked.
Aoife seems to need no sleep as she was there both morning and evening during our stay and served us a wonderful breakfast in the mornings.
There isn't a view from the room but it didn't seem to matter at all. When you're in the Executive Suite you don't care what's outside and when you're outside the view is right next to you!!! Its a lovely area and we drove all around the Burren and beaches and just generally enjoyed the peacefulness of the area.and breathtaking views from the nearby Cliffs of Moher. We went into Miltown Malby in the evening which is only a couple of miles from the hotel and enjoyed the music in the pubs. We don't always book a suite for our hotel stays but since my husband and I only get away together one or two weekends a year we felt it was worth it. I loved this hotel. The owners Aoife and Pat and staff were friendly and anxious to make our stay an enjoyable one. My only request, if they read this, is to provide me with the recipe for the crab with guacamole starter!! It was fabulous along with the salmon for a main course and bread and butter pudding we had for desert!!! This hotel is a gem!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maryhughes
Reviewed 1 January 2008

My boyfriend and I had a lovely three-night stay at this lodge in the summer of 2007. This was the first place we stayed upon arriving in Ireland and weren't sure what to expect. The thoughtful staff called us in New York a few days before we left to ask us if we'd like to make a reservation at the restaurant. They were nearly booked and wanted to make sure there would be something for us to eat since we were arriving on a Sunday evening. How wonderful, because we wouldn't have thought to make a reservation otherwise and would have been starving as everything else in this small town is closed on Sunday. The food was delicious, to boot. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was huge. My only complaint would be the view from the room, as some other reviewers have mentioned. We looked out onto a parking lot, which was unfortunate, because the hotel is surrounded by tranquil fields on three other sides. Other than that, we had a great stay. A tip: ask the friendly staff to suggest some nice walks from the hotel-- we walked down to the beach one day, through a field to look at animals another day, and even to a cliff where we saw a rainbow! We wouldn't have known where to walk were it not for their suggestions.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mployed
Reviewed 9 October 2007

Highly recommended hotel in what feels very far from civilization (though in reality not far from Ennis ~ a LOVELY town!). We spent a long day driving down from Westport along the coast and stopped at the Cliffs of Moher (must see!). As we continued down to the Admiralty Lodge we were unsure what to expect as it is located in quite a small town. What a treat when we stepped into the lobby, though there is not much curb appeal from the exterior. This is a wonderfully designed small hotel and is impeccably taken care off. The paint all the walls was so neat and fresh you would have thought they opened the doors for business only the day before. The room was absolutely lovely with the only negative being that the view was of the parking lot (didn't bother us as we were there to sleep and simply closed the curtains). The internet access was far better than other hotels we stayed at in Ireland also. Arriving so late we were so happy that we had dinner reservations since it was our wedding anniversary. YOU MUST EAT DINNER HERE ! There is a pianist playing, the room is beautiful and the food is outstanding. The staff is international with Spanish and French wait staff, French Chef and even an Argentine pastry chef. I will defintely go back if I am anywhere near the Armiralty Lodge again! The rate was very good (200euros +/-) and included a delicious breakfast in that lovely restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank carobritravels
Reviewed 28 September 2007

The property is lovely, but it is on a main road and you don't really have a view of the water. The staff was very friendly, and our room was well-appointed. The bed was luxuriously comfortable (we had arrived in Ireland that day and loved it)! We wanted to go to a pub for dinner, and they gave us good advice (go to Lahinch, not Miltown Malbay). We were lucky...they gave us an end room and we had windows on two sides. It would have been quite warm without the cross-ventilation. Don't misunderstand...we enjoyed this hotel very much and would recommend it if you are visiting this area. It is close to the Cliffs of Moher and a good location for touring the area.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed 27 September 2007

My wife and I had always wanted to visit the west coast of Clare and in particular the Cliffs of Moher so I browsed the net for accommodation and came across Admiralty Lodge. So often I find that establishments never live up to the standard or quality that they offer on their website, however on this ocassion, we were pleasantly surprised as Admiralty Lodge surpassed all our expectations. The decor, ambiance, service, food and hospitality were 5 star all the way. We met the owners Pat & Aiofe who made us feel so welcome, we did ask them why the bedrooms did not overlook the ocean (as the previous reviewers also wondered) and they informed us that obviously they would loved to have had the rooms ocean facing, however, due to strict planning and privacy laws, they were unable to build the bedrooms facing the ocean as they would have been overlooking private residences. It certainly wasn't a problem for us as the grounds have many beautiful shrubs and flowers and some lovely Ash trees. For us, the priorities of any stay are comfortable surroundings, wonderful food and warm hosipitality and Admiralty Lodge has all these in abundance.

We look forward to returning very soon!

Mike & Ashley Turner,
Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SiobhanDaly