“Great Cakes”

Ranked #2 of 3 Bakeries in Ennis
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 27 August 2018

After seeing this business getting pimped on a TV programme I had to try the fantastic looking cakes. Not only do they look fantastic but they taste fantastic also. Not good for the waistline but when you want a treat it's brilliant.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 23 August 2018

Hi Carrie. I dropped in today to buy a chocolate fudge cake - this was the one best taste of Ennis and i was raving to my sister about it during our drive. Unfortunately you have downgraded this recipe in favour of a tasteless, dry, frankly terrible recipe. what stung was that it cost €14 - even more than the proper version you used to make.

Please correct this as it's a total let down to loyal customers who will now think again before visiting your bakery.

Thanks,
Mary White

Date of visit: August 2018
Cupcakes7, Owner at Carrie's Cakes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2018

Dear Mary ,

As a “loyal” customer you would know that we stopped making chocolate fudge cakes over 2 years ago as it was too rich for our younger clientele. We make a chocolate sponge cake with chocolate icing in our store now. I’m sorry that it wasn’t to your seasoned specific taste but this has been our much loved chocolate cake for some time now .
You could have rang the store or returned the cake so that we could investigate your claim further. If given the chance, we would have apologised and given you a full refund, but you chose to do do neither of these and instead you’d rather hide behind your keyboard and unload your negativity to the whole world.
In the 8 years that we’ve been open the price of our chocolate cake has increased by €1. If our suppliers increase our prices then we must pass it on to the consumer or there would be no Bakery at all . This is simple economics.
We won’t be changing our “frankly terrible recipe” any time soon, sorry to disappoint you again.
Remember Trip advisor is not the Holy Grail of all small businesses. Remember that no business can satisfy 100% of Customers 100% of the time. It’s impossible.

We wish you luck.
Regards,

Carrie

Reviewed 14 May 2018

Carrie's Cakes bakery is well worth a visit. They have delicious treats, cakes, buns and lovely bread all baked in store. The staff and service are excellent too.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 17 March 2018

I was worried that the coffee in Ireland wouldn't be any good, and that I'd drink only tea. This cafe was extremely reassuring. The coffee was great and the baked goods were perfect, fresh and well made. We came straight from an overnight flight, and most of Ennis was still closed, but Carrie's was open.

It's obviously a popular neighborhood place: friendly and attractive and a wonderful introduction to modern Ireland, which is as sophisticated as anyplace in Europe these days.

I was going to have the soda bread, but the French style pastries and scones were too flaky, buttery and lovely to pass up. Had a bite of my husband's wonderful soda bread, though.

Not cheap, but a good value.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Lady who was serving us was far from helpful and would even go as far to ignore us there. Because of that I would not recommend bringing the kids in anyway, unless you want to give them nightmares. To be fair, the cake was okay but the customer service was practically absent that it wouldn't make us return there.

Date of visit: December 2017
5  Thank Ian O
Cupcakes7, Owner at Carrie's Cakes, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2017

Hi Ian , thanks for your ridiculously unhelpful review on December 26th . A very merry Christmas to you too . Apologies if you felt like you were being ignored on what was the busiest week of the year . I can see from your profile that you are the champion of ‘1 review’ under your belt so forgive me if I don’t fall to the floor crying in devastation.

So you wouldn’t recommend taking kids into the Bakery for fear they have nightmares ??

Nightmares because they aren’t served quick enough??? Or nightmares from the smell of baking ..... jeez that’s a tough one alright.

We’ve been closed for 3 days and you’ve held on to those bad grapes all over Christmas. I’m glad you got it off your chest . Now we can move on .

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Carrie