See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I will agree with a previous reviewer that Ashwood House is not as close to Ennis as many of the B&B travel guides say (but in their defense it is marked as Doora/Ennis). Despite this, my husband and I enjoyed our stay there. The surrounding area was beautiful and provided opportunities for exploring the countryside. Denise was very helpful, and the room was very comfortable and clean. Our bathroom did connect to the bedroom and was truly ensuite although it did have another door to the hallway that made me nervous whenever I started the tub. The hardwood floors were beautiful but a bit noisy and did not offer a sound barrier between our room and the owners quarters below us. Neverless, a nice stay and a very nice B&B.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I stayed in Ashwood House B & B in March of this year. The welcome and hospitality that I and my husband experienced are second to none. Denise is very bubbly and the boys are the quietest boys I have ever come across. There is a beautiful farm walk next to the house and the local pub "The Sheebeen" was a very comfortable and relaxed place to go. This location is ideal for visiting the west coast of Clare and ideal to stay en route to Galway. I would highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast and will return when back in the area again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2008

The Basics....
Pros: Clean, nice bathroom facilities
Cons: Loud, smelled of smoke, bathroom not en suite as advertised, not in Ennis as advertised.

The details....
We attempted to find our B&B with less than clear directions. We stopped twice to ask for directions before finally getting anything useful and discovering that Ashwood House is not actually in the city of Ennis as advertised, but about 10k outside the town in the middle of the country. Nothing wrong with being out in the country, but if you were planning on staying at Ashwood House and walking to see the sights of Ennis, you'd be in a bind. When we arrived at Ashwood House at 3:00 in the afternoon, nobody was there.

At this B&B, "en suite" does not mean private, since we shared the bathroom with another room, and nor did it actually mean en suite because we had to walk down the hall to get to the bathroom. It was a nice bathroom though, and clean.

The place vaguely smelled like cigarette smoke, so we had to keep the door to our room closed so we didn't smell it. The establishment was supposed to be non smoking, but apparently that didn't apply to the proprietors, who lived in a different part of the same house with two noisy small boys.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple