“Heln”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Rooms could do with a right good clean also the bathroom is in need of a refurbishment ,not very nice bathroom in fact the whole hotel is needing a clean and up dated ,paintwork is all needing done along with the toilet .

Room Tip: Rooms could do with a right good clean also the toilet is not very nice ,was a massive big chip in t...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Had a visit here with my partner for the long weekend, check in room ect was all of the average and what we expected booked our evening meal for 9pm on the Friday evening, choose from the 3 course set menu which was adequate.
My starter was lovely really enjoyed it, ordered chicken and peppercorn sauce with mash for my main was told there was no mash, so I had chips instead whistle cutting my chicken I cane across a medium sized black hair, brushed it to the side then however found a further 3 more in my chicken which I could no longer eat as I was put off the whole meal informed waiting staff who where going from kitchen to bar and reception area.. cross contamination in my eyes!
A manger then approached us with a " complement" bottle of wine and informed us the chef was no longer on the premises and he would do a full investigation as to how the hairs ended up in my meal and would get back to us this didn't happen!
When we got home we emailed the hotel regarding our concerns and a week later we still have had no reply this really dampened our whole weekend cost us more money by having to eat out the hotel for breakfast which was included in our stay.
I don't feel they care now that we have stated there and we don't think a cheap bottle of house wine really covered our £44 meal and would appreciate a fully apology and explanation from the chef himself.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

I think someone stole the sign from a Mercure hotel and put it outside this hotel.

The staff were great in fairness. All friendly and helpful.

However the rooms (both mine and a colleagues) were tatty and in need of refurbishment. An example is the lovely stain in the old worn carpet in my room.

The view of the car park behind the hotel was probably the only highlight of the room.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank David A
Reviewed 20 July 2017

As I have said before, there needs to be something between average and very good.
The first impression on entering the Mercure is the smell. Stale cooking? We decided it was mainly the smell of chlorine from the pool in the basement, but it was everywhere in the public areas, even the lifts, but thankfully not in the bedrooms.
Second impression was a very friendly, cheerful and competently helpful receptionist.
Our fifth floor room was adequate, roomy and pleasant enough, especially if you like fifty shades of beige. The settee (extra bed?) had obviously seen better days as the under-lining was falling off. Fortunately we did not need it. The bathroom, however, was sadly in need of upgrading, the shower head was loose off the wall, the laminate around the wash basin was missing in places, it was generally poor. Although well supplied with facilities, a coffee maker, a kettle, a large flat screen tv, they were not totally convenient, the coffee maker on a table by the windows with no nearby electrical outlet, the kettle on a table in a corner with no nearby electrical outlet, they both had to be moved to another corner table to use them. I had to go downstairs in the evening to get fresh batteries for the tv remote.
Apart from ourselves, the guests seemed to be US military in uniform, and tradesmen in their working clothes. Nothing wrong with either, but it was reflected in the dinner menu - mainly steak, steak, steak or burgers. Our first three choices of starter or main course were not available. I opted for soup, which I understood was leek and potato. When it arrived, a dark brownish colour, I asked again what it was, and was told by the waiter "I said it was potato and bacon, but it is lentil and bacon". I would never have guessed. The whole meal was very ordinary.
Apart form the receptionist who looked after us on arrival, and the one on duty when we checked out, the overall impression was lack of training. I had to find someone to bring us dinner menus, and then I had go and find someone again to take our orders. Madame asked for poached eggs for breakfast, and was presented with two poached eggs on a plate. Do poached eggs not always come with toast?
Very much on the plus side: having stayed in other hotels and found that the rack rate was less than I had paid online, I booked by phone. The result was two nights room and breakfast and dinner on one night for the two of us, for £1 less than the best online price for room only!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Breakfast and dinner were very good - good choice and quality. Staff very helpful.
The place is in need of new carpets and decor.
The bathroom had cracked fitments and the surrounds suffered from water damage.
The cleaning staff need better hoovers or to do a better job.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple