All reviews bay hotel open door steak pie scottish breakfast five minute walk cooked breakfast old building soup would stay again fantastic stay business trip family members room was large evening meal great value for money sharon toiletries
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights for £195. Firstly staff were friendly & Breakfast was acceptable. Now the not so good things. We had room 6 the bed was terrible you could feel every spring & we found a pubic hair in a bed that was supposed to have clean bedding on it. Bed side table was covered in dust & the carpets were very dirty. Bathroom was small & unclean with mould around the walls & shower head. The hotel is quite dated & needs a lot doing to it. Location is good as it’s very central to Greenock for shops Bars Restaurants Etc. Unusually full payment was requested on arrival (now I know why) Drinks in the bar were ok & reasonable price wise. Signage for reception & to the bar area was bad. The room was the worst aspect of our stay. Terrible bed. Unclean throughout. Nowhere to put your stuff in the bathroom. An all round bad stay. Even at £195 for 3 nights it was bad value for money. The place needs a full overhaul before I would ever consider staying there again. Not I nice experience. Based on our stay here I would honestly advise against staying here. 8/10/18

Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank Voyager438484
Reviewed 18 September 2018

Having booked a room over the internet as part of a holiday, I was looking forward to my two night stay over August. I had deliberately chosen it based on distance from railway stations, for which it was good. I had not chosen a meal option on the booking website I'd used, as I was not expecting my stay to work with typical hotel breakfast schedules
I was able to check in late evening, and settled into a comfy and clean bed. I did however find out that despite not choosing a meal option, all rooms come with a breakfast option. For the average person this is not a problem, but with dietary requirements and having already made other arrangements as a result, I've then paid for something which I couldn't use.
The next morning I was told I couldn't be refunded anything, they didn't have soya milk available (this surely isn't too difficult to have nowadays?).
The bulb in the bedside table didn't work - although credit where it is due, staff rectified this by the second night.
My room was also above what appeared to be some air conditioning units, or certainly equipment with fans going all night - bit noisy. The TV was also not lined up to where the bed was, and even if you did sit on the end of the bed was still some distance away
Despite being mid August reception was closed all the time, and on checking out (a not exactly super early 8am) there was no staff to be seen at all, so just had to drop a key on a desk....!
I agree with other reviews that the place, whilst clean did in places look a little tired and in need of a bit of cleaning or painting. It looks like this is already in progress, however it is always tricky to work out how long these have been going on for.
Overall my experience was that it was a place to rest ones head, but a little rough and ready in some areas, and needing some attention to tighten up the strings befitting of the price tag.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Martha B
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed overnight Saturday as attending a family wedding nearby. Had two double rooms , one of which they had put a travel cot in with lots of blankets and covers which was a lovely touch. Yes furniture is a bit dated but rooms large and clean also staff could not do enough for us. Would stay again

Date of stay: September 2018
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed for two nights as part of a family holiday. Breakfast was basic but ok, cooked fresh to order. The juices all tasted awful and the coffee was awful tasting instant. I could smell smoke while in the dining room and later spotted the cook smoking at an open door. There were several flies buzzing around in the dining room, not pleasant. The room was clean, although there was a smell of stale smoke. Staff cleaned our room during our stay and were generous with topping up toiletries etc. Some of the furniture looks dated. Shower was very powerful, always a plus. The biggest downside for me was the live music!! Had it been mentioned on the website or booking.com I wouldn’t have booked. I was travelling with two young children so hearing loud music until 1am and people talking loudly while outside smoking was not ideal. Staff friendly and polite.

1  Thank laurenmF5768DS
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Just stayed there last night as going to visit a cruise ship.
Room was clean and tidy, only comment was no glasses in bathroom for cleaning teeth.
The bar prices are very reasonable, unlike most hotels.
Centrally located, a 3 minute walk from Greenock Central station, and a couple of minutes from the centre. Next to the walkway along the Clyde, which have great views.
Would use the hotel again.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidbG6404QW
Stephen M, Owner at Custom House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Thank you for your review. There should be plastic glasses in the bathroom I’ll look in to this.

I hope you had a lovley cruise.