Lowest prices for your stay
US$175
Hotels.comUS$148
Expedia.comUS$148
FindHotelUS$175
1,453 results
All reviews small lift railway station buffet breakfast central location high street lovely hotel reception staff superior room town centre black pudding stayed for one night ben nevis porridge fort bistro highlands loch
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 July 2020 via mobile

Stayed here for a 2nd time after the first being a nice experience. I’m afraid to say that this time around it wasn’t so good.
Staff at the desk and in restaurant are very welcoming and helpful which helped with my star rating but I had a problem every morning of our stay with breakfast either due to not getting what was asked for until reminding the staff members or getting it but it being luke warm. In fact on one occasion it was so late that the fried egg was almost solid where it had obviously been left to sit under a warmer for so long and the bacon and beans were hardly warm at all so I left without eating it. Coffee was also luke warm.

I am sure this will all improve again once the hotel can get back to its normal buffet style breakfast set up.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank tonysF3689LU
Alexandra Manager, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2020

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay with us.

I would like to thank you for your lovely comment about our staff.

I'm sorry to hear that your second stay with us was not what you have expected.
Please be assured that we welcome all forms of feedback, and I have since passed on your comments regarding your breakfast experience to our Head Chef, and we will certainly be looking into the points you highlighted about the service.

We do hope that you will be able to stay with us again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 29 July 2020

Just stayed one night. Check in was easy and staff member made sure to arrange a pick up breakfast for my husband who was heading out early to climb hills. Restaurant staff were funny, friendly and professional. The room itself was super clean and the shower was great. Bed was one of the best I have slept in.
Staff were some of the best I have ever met. Really good central location.
Sure, some of the decor is a bit retro but I would much rather than and great service than a modern deco and have to go looking for staff or not get good service.

2  Thank Aileen W

Thank you for sharing your wonderful five star review!

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at Alexandra Hotel.

Thank you for all your lovely comments about our staff.
We do have a wonderful team and I am glad you found our staff "the best you ever met" !
I am excited to pass on your compliments and I am certain they will be thrilled to hear your kind words!

Once again, thank you for taking the time to submit such a lovely review, and we do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2020

Oh dear. Lock down has not been kind to this hotel. Let’s start with the staff who were very nice and helpful. Then things go WAY downhill very quickly.

Stairs with carpets that had holes in them. The room was dated and to be honest not clean. We had ordered a room with a 4 poster bed, which was 2 single beds pushed together and a 4 poster gazebo type things built around the 2 singles beds! NOT A FOUR POSTER BED does that make! The floor in our room sloped from the front of the building to the back to such an extent it made you feel like you were on a ship that was about to capsize or you had a few to many drinks!

We ordered dinner for the first night, of our 2 night stay. Well to be honest we have had a better meal in a greasy spoon. We ordered the mushroom soup which was passable but tasteless, then we had one main of mac and cheese, which looked and tasted like it had come out of can then another main of haddock and chips with peas. The peas were microwaved to death, the chips ok, however the fish in batter was over cooked and looked like it had come from a supermarket frozen section.

Breakfast was ok, although various items ordered didn’t appear on the plate. For example on morning one we had no black pudding, which did make an appearance on the second day however it was only one piece which was then split in two and half put on each plate!

As I said lockdown may well have had a really bad affect on this place but we paid over £300 for 2 nights bed and breakfast (dinner was extra) and left feeling ripped off and needing a shower!

Finally on our second morning, we had the joy of the council mowing the grass outside the hotel at 7:00am which went on until 9:30am.

Only reason we gave this place one star was because of the location, right in the town centre but not much advantage when every shop/bar and restaurant was closed.

1  Thank B8258FYstephenb
Alexandra Manager, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2020

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am deeply saddened and concerned to hear we did not meet your standards during your recent stay with us. We do really appreciate your feedback and will use this to improve our service and facilities.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, I have now passed on to all departments for feedback.

Cleanliness of the rooms is always something people compliment us on and I was sorry to learn it was not what you had expected. I'll certainly pass on your comments to our housekeeping team.

Please be assured that I have noted your comments and these will form part of our regular reviews as it is our aim to ensure that our guests and visitors have the best experience possible when either staying or dinning with us.

I trust you had a safe and pleasant onward journey and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2020

Well sadly after a long spell on lockdown and looking forward to a short break only to find property that was uninviting via a bleak entrance , bear thread stair carpets , 2 lengths of wallpaper replaced in our room and dated decor and furnishings to match awful , however the staff were very attentive and courteous at all times , but breakfast was well microwaved bacon minus the egg I asked for then waited on our coffee only to walk away when we received it stone cold cut a 3 day stay to 1 and gone home early .

1  Thank Anthony D

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your recent stay here at Alexandra Hotel.

Many thanks for your kind words in regards to the staff.

I have taken on board your comments and all information will be passed onto the relevant departments.

I hope you had a safe and pleasant journey home and we would love to welcome you back again in the future to show you our commitment towards continual improvement.

Reviewed 12 July 2020 via mobile

We stayed at the Alexandra Hotel for three nights as part of a walking holiday in the Highlands. It’s in a great location - close to the railway station and easy walk to town to good restaurants/ pubs.

The rooms were fine and well serviced. The radiator went off at night which was a little annoying as it was freezing and we were trying to dry our very wet hiking clothes. The hired did offer a drying room but that was simply a meeting room.

The restaurant buffet was good and just what we needed before a big walk. The bar was fine (although not very atmospheric). The restaurant was ok, although again not a great atmosphere and some of the food was a little basic and didn’t feel freshly prepared. I’d suggest eating elsewhere in the evening if you can face walking for 5-10 minutes.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple