Hotels.com
Travelocity
Official Site
Orbitz.com
1,113 results
All reviews aspects restaurant executive room leisure centre leisure pool buffet breakfast sauna and steam room huge bed tea and coffee main reception night break stayed here for two nights both mornings enjoyable stay play area spey valley short break evening meal
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 November 2020

I booked the Morlich Hotel, and a Deluxe King Room. Recently refurbished. Photos looked bright and airy. Views of the Highlands expected. Half board. Website suggests 4 restaurants available to choose from. What I got? An email shortly before our stay advising me the Morlich Hotel has closed, and reservation moved to the Highlands Hotel. The room was supposed to be an Executive Room. It was dark, needed refurbishing, and had a view of an embankment, with the busy A9 on the other side. Noisy. I tried to call the hotel a few days before our arrival to find out about booking tables in the various restaurants. And to book afternoon tea for my partners birthday. Hung up on 5 times in a row, so emailed. Ignored repeatedly. Response from head office, but no answers. Still ignored by hotel. Checked in. Only one restaurant open. Promised that an apology and action would be taken - would have an email the following morning. No response during stay. Checked out, complained again. Promised I would receive an apology. No apology. Never had afternoon tea as they never arranged this for me despite saying they would. Knowing what I know now, I am glad that they did not. Macdonald were still taking bookings for the CLOSED Morlich hotel during my stay, for the same dates, and are still doing so now. I have never experienced such poor service, disregard, or deliberate attempts to mislead. As I type this, still no response.
Aspects Restaurant was the only restaurant open. No atmosphere. Needs refurbishing. Staff were very friendly and polite - that was a positive (the only one). Very poor non alcoholic selection, you might have expected more of an effort to extract money from diners but we ended up drinking lime cordial with soda. Food was reasonable. Cooked breakfast was passable. Queues form at breakfast as only one chef cooking and serving it seems. Would not have eaten here if we were not half board.

Room tip: Ask for a room that does not face the embankment for the A9. Probably not ground floor either.
Reviewed 11 November 2020

Having booked the Morlich hotel we were advised that as it was a quiet period we were being reallocated a room at the Highland hotel. Our room was upgraded so that was very nice. It was spacious and adequate, the king bed was rather soft for our liking, but as it was only for two nights it wasn’t a problem. At this time with COVID there is no house cleaning for the first four days, but again not a problem, if you require anything you just ask at reception. OK the hotel is showing signs of old age and could be doing with an upgrade but it shouldn’t put you off visiting.

We were on a DB&B rate, breakfast was good and you could essentially have as little or much as you wanted. Dinner at Aspects was good although not a great choice, we could have done with two or three more choices for the main meal. But what we did have was very nice.

We didn’t use any of the facilities so can’t comment on pools etc. Aviemore is great for the outdoors and if you enjoy walking there are numerous walks, both easy and bit more difficult. We always used to use the Hilton Coylumbridge but not since Britannia took it over and we will be back at MacDonald’s resort in the future.

Finally I must say the staff very all very helpful from reception staff to catering staff not a negative thing to say about anyone. Look forward to another short break in the future.

Room tip: Go for the executive room as they offer a bit more room
Date of stay: November 2020
Reviewed 28 October 2020

We had booked the Morlich Hotel so upgraded to this hotel the rooms were fine and we received a nice card and bottle of wine and some chocolates. The corridors need updated and the restaurant. The dinner was great good choice and staff friendly. The breakfast I felt need improving re covid order whether its cooked to order might be a better idea to avoid the no social distancing in having to Q at a breakfast buffet or a time slot 15 mins for fruit and cereal then a ticket to go for your hot breakfast to avoid the Q.

Room tip: Back facing
Reviewed 26 October 2020 via mobile

Booked an overnight at the highland hotel for a family trip away. Covid restrictions slightly altered the trip but this isn’t the fault of the hotelier or the staff and they accommodated well for it. We were running late and the staff very kindly altered our meal and swimming bookings. The hotel is tired looking and dated. It could do with a facelift in corridor areas. We didn’t notice anything wrong with the cleanliness in our room or the communal areas that we used. We are in the aspects restaurant, which is the breakfast area and as such doesn’t have much ambiance but not sure if this is also due to bar areas being closed. No complaints regarding the food here either. A few items not available but not anything that bothered us. Slight wait for breakfast in morning but staff were run off their feet and were still very pleasant. A few teething issues, such as getting through to get some room service but when we did, again staff were very nice and a problem with our keys the following morning after our stay. Again, reception staff couldn’t apologise enough, and these things do happen.
Giving 4 stars for the service we received. We will be rebooking for a future stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2020 via mobile

Had a nice stay at the hotel - felt very safe and comfortable and the hotel have made the effort to comply with the COVID rules.

Had dinner in Spey Burger - a problem with our meal was rectified by Lewis (I think he was the supervisor). He went above and beyond. Truly customer centric. My heart goes out to him and the staff who are working under quite challenging circumstances with the hospitality industry taking a major knock from the impacts of COVID.

Well done on keeping the hotel going folks.

Trip type: Travelled with family