All reviews glasgow cathedral duke street home away from home other guests yogurt on arrival every morning place to stay breakfast was delicious comfortable bed walking distance room was large two nights definitely stay here again the ground floor tea and coffee necropolis
Reviewed 15 September 2015

It's a good B&B; however, only one room, twin en-suite, has it's own bathroom. I overlooked it when made the reservation, but we had a good stay and Tom was good host. Fifteen minutes walk to the Necropolis and Cathedral.

Room Tip: Twin en-suite
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ABTOP
Reviewed 9 September 2015

Tom made us very welcome and gave great advice on transport and local attractions for our short stay. Wonderful historic home, spotless room, fluffy towels, great breakfast, no hesitation recommending. Quiet location, walking distance to on-off bus and cathedral area connecting to everything else in central Glasgow.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemary V
Reviewed 20 August 2015

Having set off on a last-minute holiday to Scotland in peak time of the year, my prospects for a good place to stay could not have been much worse. In fact, I was still phoning up various B&Bs while on the bus from the airport to Glasgow city centre. After being told several places were fully booked, Tom (the B&B proprietor and all-round excellent host) informed me that he had one room free, and that any time in the next 2 hours would be fine to check in (it was already after 7:00pm). I was told the price for a single room (double-bed) would only be £40 per day, which is quite reasonable even for Glasgow, and certainly for last-minute bookings at such a busy time of the year. Tom did not even demand the payment up-front, which was nice even if I was happy to pay at any point.

Claremont House is well-situated in a quiet and relatively leafy residential area just to the east of Glasgow city centre (Dennistoun), but within walking distance of both the city centre and some great little restaurants, as well as a train station on the main line. Upon arriving at the place, I was given a warm reception, shown my room and bathroom, and informed about breakfast and the other amenities (such as free wi-fi, TV, tea in room). The large house was well-decorated and had a rather homely, comfortable feel. The bedroom and other rooms were clean and quite spacious, as was the bathroom and its facilities. Without doubt, each of my 5 nights left me well-rested.

The breakfast served each morning had a good selection (even for a vegetarian such as myself) – there was always scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, croissants, muffins, toasted bread (with butter and various jams), a variety of cereals, juice, tea and coffee – in other words, exactly what I'd expect at a good B&B. It was served hot as 8:30, though I sometimes came down as late as 9:00 or 9:15 and that was no problem. Tom was usually present during breakfast time, and apart from offering to help or reheat things, was always giving helpful advice on places to see, transport, and other things, apart from general pleasant conversation.

Due to the trip being so impromptu, and my friend staying at another place, I woke up on the 3rd day not sure where I'd be staying that night. Since I hadn't notified Tom before, he had understandably booked my previous room for another guest that night. However, he knew how hard it would be for me to find another place in Glasgow that night (and even harder in some other places), so kindly offered me to sleep on the fold-out bed in his former study, which basically had the same facilities as the other rooms (and was in fact bigger). I stayed a further 3 nights, and he even offered me a discount for staying in that room – the option to move back into the slightly more comfortable previous bedroom was welcome but proved unnecessary.

Apart from Tom's general helpfulness and geniality, it is worth saying that one late morning, when my friend met me at Claremont House, Tom generously gave him a (substantial) breakfast, after I'd asked if there were any leftovers from that morning's breakfast. He charged him nothing, and the next day when my friend was sick (unrelated to the food, I must say!), he gave me some pills for him. All this said, he was not at all an intrusive host, and it was very easy to spend one's time privately in his house.

All in all, I could not have hoped for a better stay in a B&B in Glasgow, nor a better host –all at an affordable price for a poor ex-student like myself. It will certainly be the first place I'll try to book whenever I return to Glasgow!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank alexreg90
Reviewed 29 July 2015

Tom is an amazing host who is only too happy to ensure your stay is perfect. Beautiful historic home with lovely gardens and off street secure parking like a home away from home and you can sit outside and watch the foxes play. Fantastic breakfast prepared by Tom and served by Christine who is absolutely lovely. When I am in Glasgow this is where I now choose to stay.

Stayed: June 2015
2  Thank Tracey D
Reviewed 15 July 2015

We enjoyed a 3-night stay in July 2015. The weather was mixed but there was a warm welcome from Tom, the owner, who was a very good host, providing useful tips on places to eat and visit. We had a comfortable double ensuite room. The guest house has a small ‘library’ for guests, including books on Glasgow. The house has interesting period features and is located in a quiet street.

The breakfast was very good, including a range of tasty options – fruit, cereals, yoghurt, cooked breakfast, toast and croissants. Having one big table is good for chatting with fellow guests.
Claremont House is about 1.5 miles from the city centre – about 30 minutes’ walk or 10 minutes by taxi (£4.40). There are very good places to eat in the local neighbourhood including Amore d’Italia and Nakodar (Indian), both about 15 minutes’ walk from Claremont House.
We paid £30 per person per night for b&b, which was good value for money.
We would recommend to friends and return to Claremont House.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple