“Black pudding heaven at last!”
Review of Cafe Gandolfi

Cafe Gandolfi
Ranked #138 of 2,658 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$24 - US$46
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: "Deagh bhiadh, deagh bheannachd" Well fed, well blessed. It's this sense of Hebridean hospitality that makes Café Gandolfi such an incredible long standing institution in the Glasgow scene. Opened in 1979, and pioneering the Merchant City into becoming the hub of bars and restaurants that it is today, Gandolfi is a truly well loved and frequented corner of Glasgow. From the main café with its iconic Tim Stead furniture downstairs, the hidden treasure bar up in the attic boasting gorgeous cocktails and atmosphere, to the glamorously sleek Gandolfi Fish two doors up with its adjoining little sibling Fish To Go, this little section of the Merchant City looks set to continue keeping the bar toweringly high when it comes to all things good food, good wine and great hospitality.
Reviewed 8 January 2018

We stepped in from the rain by chance as the café we were planning to visit was closed following the new year holiday - and I'm really glad we did as the late breakfast we enjoyed at Cafe Gandolfi was one of the best I've had for a long time. Despite being almost too late for breakfast service we were happily welcomed by the owner and quickly seated in the attractive wood-panelled dining room, packed with interesting furniture and decoration. Service was quick and friendly throughout.

I was immediately pleased to spot copies of the owner's Stornoway Black Pudding recipe book on the counter - I've often complained that black pudding is often on breakfast menus, but isn't available to order as it's not a universally popular item and tends to be allowed to run out of stock. Here however, the unique and excellent stornoway black pudding is a central part of a number of the breakfast dishes. My wife selected the Eggs Hebridean - a black pudding based take on Eggs Benedict which she loved. I opted for the full breakfast which included a generous helping of black pudding too, but also a really excellent beef sausage and well-cooked scrambled eggs.

A good, strong Italian coffee and a Mimosa accompanied the meal, linking the Cafe back to its venerable roots as a Glasgow restaurant and part of Merchant City for many years. There is now a bar, fish restaurant, take away and this cafe as part of the Gandolfi empire, and we're really eager to try other meals here in future. A friendly haunt which serves wonderful food in a relaxed setting.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

We popped in at lunchtime for coffee - no hassle despite us not ordering food (it was a quiet day mind). Infinite patience with the Child who procrastinated over her choice of drink. Excellent coffees and charming service. Decor hasn’t changed over the years and why would it? Still fabulous.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

We (group of eight) had no reservation but arrived relatively early on Hogmanay morning. The waitress gave us a great round table but said we could have it for only two hours because somebody had booked it. Everybody had a really good time and enjoyed their respective breakfast (pancakes, fry up, etc.) as well as fresh juices and coffees. Time flew and we ended up spending 2.5 hours at the table, without the waitress asking us to get up. Full marks for that!

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

I have come to this place often for breakfast/brunch and often bring friends and family who are visiting Glasgow. The food is always great. On my last visit the service wasn’t quite as friendly and I wondered if it was because I bought my 18month old with me, but maybe it was just a one off because usually the staff are great. First time I have taken my son though so maybe not such a great place for kids

Reviewed 30 December 2017

Really nice place. Top quality food. You pay for what you get, so pricey for breakfast, but well worth it. Good atmosphere. May need to book a table at the weekend as it does get busy. Overall a lovely place for a treat.