“Weekend spoiled!”

Ranked #89 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Weekend spoiled!”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I thought I would treat my wife to a weekends shopping therapy in glasgow so short on options as I had left it a bit late to book somewhere nicer I checked out Trip Advisor and made an informed decision from the comments that I read. I can only assume that we were very unlucky as the room down the corridor had a party going till 8 am! This was despite constant phone calls to the front desk to ask the night porter to tell the occupants to belt up. The next morning I asked the duty manager if the noisy guests were staying another night as we would have to reconsider staying. He asssured me they were checking out as they had caused too much aggravation for everyone concerned.
That was all well and good but that night they were replaced by a couple of girls who had decided to take back some boys they had picked up at a club. So at 4am we had to endure more music and partying till I phoned reception and this time we did manage to get another 4 hours sleep. As I say we were maybe unlucky but the management dont seem to be too bothered about who stays in their hotel. Because of the noise from fellow guests and the main road outside I wouldnt stay here again. When you book a hotel room, even though it was only £53 the least you expect is to get a nights good sleep. As this doesnt appear to be possible I warn anybody reading this to look elsewhere.
On the plus side, there is a fine Indian restaurant less than 100 metres down the road which we found from Trip Advisor called Mother India. This was the saving grace of our weekend as the food was fantastic with a small menu and a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank clivewheeler59

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
canterbury
Reviewed 25 January 2012

After reading some of the bad reviews on here i actually thought about booking somewhere else!!! But glad i never. This is a more than adequate 3 star hotel. Staff were very pleasant and helped us organise taxis to go to the theatre. The room was clean and the breakfast was also good. We had a pleasant stay and would return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank weeme_7
Glasgow
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Pros: easy access by local bus right in front of the entrance, near Tesco, cuisine restaurants and shops (a street behind) and nice calm internal settings, can catch airport coach FIRST BUS 747 at bus stop a block away (same street).
Cons: room with single glazing window, noise by passing vehicles, floor above, some minor repairs needed, wireless internet in the room was not accessible.

Honestly I did quite enjoy the stay despite cons above because I just wanted a relaxing hot bath in the tub. Nice free coffee and tea sets.

I had to request room change 2 times because in room 1, the knob to turn the shower on fell out and in the room 2, the card sensor slot did not work. The lady who attended me was accommodating but seemed annoyed. Unfortunately it wasn't my problem! I was glad that she did pay attentions to put customer first. A bit of smile would not harm though. I did them a favour to point out faults politely but it did not seem to be appreciated in reciprocal. The lady told me that there was no more room available after the 3rd change. (so ... should I get a refund and walk out instead?)

In my room, it was very spacious, nice chairs, comfortable double bed and cushion, some of the lighting were not working but the room could still be brightly lit if you used table lamps. The TV was OK size. There's a hair dryer which was handy. A nice full body size mirror right outside the bathroom. Bathroom was clean in the first glance.

The card system at the door needed a few trials before the green light was turned on. I had to pull the door towards me in order to get it 'green'.

Room Tip: Probably rooms facing the back street will be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Morgan123s
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

So i visited the devoncove, the other week with a friend for a night out. Staff were very welcoming, and the rooms very clean and with the price we paid. Breakfast in the morning was great though didn't eat as was still very much hungover but looked great and he staff were great,not to bubbly for the morning, they were relaxed and chilled.

My only flaws is the access to the car park isn't the best and anyone driving should take it easy on the car park alley road and the spaces are very tight,if you can choose between big car or wee car key non. Bring the small car and or don't bring a car.

Also the doors to the rooms and are very heavy ,so when closed I could hear my neighbors and others opening and shutting there doors,maybe something they could look into.

All in all,I will choose the.devoncove first out of any hotel in Glasgow if I was to come back.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank neilhat
Lanark
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Didn't expect too much as the price was a last minute deal at £26, however we were pleasantly surprised. Rooms were clean, bathroom and towels seemed new, staff friendly and the breakfast was well worth the money paid. The downside: bed, duvet and pillows were old and needed renewed and the walls were thin. Attention to these little details required.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple