“Awful nights sleep.”

Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Awful nights sleep.”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Checked in to the hotel, all staff were very pleasant. After a function at the hotel, I went back to my room, it was so HOT!! I had to make a choice of either really loud air con or roast. I managed about 2 hours of disturbed sleep all night.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mattrobs
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
I am sorry you did not get a good nights sleep due to air conditioning . That should not be the case. As you will see from previous reviews, we completely overhauled our AC system last year. I have asked that the Engineers are called in to check that all is in order and to rectify whatever elements of the system are not up to scratch.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Only stayed one night (27th February). Had a sandwich and coffee in bar when I arrived and dinner in the restaurant in the evening. Expensive but all very enjoyable. Breakfast too was very good.

Room very good with plenty of space and a desk to work on, plus good 3G reception.

Basic requirement of any hotel however is to provide a place to sleep. This was made difficult by the bright light shinning under my door all night and the shrieking of the lift. Whole situation was exasperated by the shouting, laughing and furniture moving that woke me at 4:30am and continued until after I got up at 6:00am - sounded like a party going on. I don't know exactly where the noise was coming from (appeared to come from somewhere above my room - 919) and I don't know if it was staff or another guest; taxi driver suggested it might be related to a concert or something at a venue next door. I don't really care; all I know is that I arrived at my meeting the next day extremely tired and won't be using this hotel for a business trip again.

Room Tip: Don't bother asking for a quiet room. I did and it didn't work.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
I am sorry you did not have a great nights sleep with us. I understand that when you stayed , some other guests did not realise how much noise they were making when they had a party in their room. I mention this as an explanation rather than an excuse. I can assure you it was not staff.

There should have been no light coming from under your door as described and i have asked our maintenance team to investigate and sort it out.

Whiting Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had a deal so it was good value. Afternoon tea yummy. A nice quiet room on the 12th floor with a lovely view of the city and the Clyde. Loved the panoramic lift. Only criticism the bathroom was a little tired. Service very good and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Susan301153
Thankyou very much for your review and a belated " Happy Birthday".

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay so much and hope that you will be back again before long.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We had an excellent night stay at this hotel.The first room we were given was smelling of smoke but we were moved immidately to the 11th floor.The room was a really good size with a kingsize bed which was very comfy.We had afternoon tea which was included in our deal,cakes were lovely.We ate in the bar at night and the food was very hot,plentiful and tasty.We went to the pool which could have done with a bit of a sweep/mop but it was late so maybe this was why it was a unclean,The staff were good and friendly and helpful.Overall it was an excellent stay and would definately go again!!

Room Tip: A higher floor room overlooking the city has stunning views.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DundeeYummymummy
Thanks for posting such a great review - it is appreciated. Sorry about the room smelling of smoke. Unfortunately, despite being a 100% non smoking building , some people just cannot resist the urge.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Firstly I must state that I only ended up at this hotel as my flight got diverted, and the airline put us up in the hotel.

The hotel was in a state of chaos as they suddenly had about 300 guests arrive at the hotel all at the same time. To some extent the staff tried to handle it well, but generally it must be said the senior staff seemed to be running round like headless chickens. It took a good 90 minutes before there was any semblance of organisation. While the hotel cannot accept full responsibility for the unusual nature of the events, I would have thought a bit of calm planning up front would have made things more pleasant for the newly arriving guests, as well as for those guests who had stayed the previous night.

The hotel does not have enough lifts to cope with the number of floors nor number of guests. While we only stayed for one night, the wait for the lifts was a real drag, and nearly every time one arrived on our floor it was completely full!

The rooms were pleasant and modern: wall safe, mini bar, decent bathroom, clean sheets etc.

The breakfast buffet was basic, and not particularly appetising. A buffet meal was put on for us on the Sunday evening, which was typical mass catering produced food (i.e. basic hit and miss).

The hotel is about a 25 minute walk from the city centre. The walk along the River Clyde to the city is pleasant, but not beautiful. You wouldn't want to wak the route too many times in one visit though (and taxi fares would start to mount if you want to go in and out to the centre). Other than the conference centre there isn't much on the doorstep of the hotel.

All in all if I was visiting Glasgow again I wouldn't choose this hotel. I would prefer to be more central, and have a better choice of restaurants on my doorstep.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Thankyou for posting a review following your stay here at the hotel following a delayed flight. As you quite correctly state, it was an usual nature of events to receive 300 guests together at short notice particularly as the hotel was already quite busy due to a conference on at the SECC along with a concert. I am sorry that you felt that we didn't have enough lifts, however with so many guests wishing to use them at the same time due to fixed dining and departure times, this will result in unavoidable delays - however I do take your point and offer my apologies.

I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us under different circumstances in the future.