“Des clarke”
Review of Citizens Theatre

Citizens Theatre
Ranked #38 of 347 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of great theatre in Glasgow, offering a world-class repertoire of classic and contemporary plays.
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Funniest comedian we’ve been to in a long time. We were third row from the front and have to say the view of the stage was second to none and overall the theatre was a brilliant venue. Parking a bit problematic as the theatre car park is small and was very full but we eventually got parked around the back as all the offices were finished for the day. Will definitely come back to the Citizens. And plan to see when Des Clarke is next performing.

All reviews
"pantomime"
"interval"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

If you're driving in make sure you check the final few streets. Satnav normally takes you sailing past the front of the theatre, and the car park is on the wrong side of a one way street. You need to circle round the one way system and then there are NO SIGNS for where you turn right. To help you: pass the theatre, turn right when you can. Go past the Premier Inn on the right then turn right at the next traffic lights. Go straight on. You'll pass a pub at some traffic lights, then keep an eye out on the right for arches that are lit up in different colours. Turn right there - be careful of the road lanes, follow the arrow markings. Once you've turned ignore the first right (no entry), then the car park's the next right.

Apart from that, which made me 20 mins late and in tears for a show that I arrived 15m early for (!!!!) the venue is lovely. One of the few theatres that doesn't rip you off on ticket prices, drinks and snacks. Lovely staff! The seats are OK, it would be good to have drinks holders somewhere (seat arms or back of chairs). Only quibble would be that it's very overheated, especially in the upper tiers.

A really varied programme of events, well worth getting on the mailing list.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

For somebody who normally begins to get uncomfortable at the theatre after about 45minutes I was overjoyed with the legroom and comfort of the seats at the Citizens. At no point during the show did I feel income or fidgety. There was loads if legroom which I don't normally find being 6ft 3inches.
The staff were pleasant and helpful. However they weren't entirely prepared for the interval when it came. It was a bit annoying to be the first person to the bar and six people be served before me after they had dealt with all the pre orders.
The show was bloody good too - Shappi Khorsandi.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Went to this theatre on Saturday night. The show was really good and we all enjoyed. We were sitting in front seats and although the view of the stage was good we were all a bit cold. There seemed to be a draft. I know the theatre is soon closing for renovation and know this is really necessary. I will however miss the theatre during this work being carried out. It has an atmosphere of its own and hope this is retained in the future.

CitizensTheatre, Public Relations Manager at Citizens Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

So glad to hear you enjoyed Bold Girls Grace! You're quite right that we're in need of our upgrade as our beloved theatre is in some real need of some TLC. One of the benefits of our planned new building will be a far more energy-efficient and temperature-controlled environment for audience, actors and staff! Rest assured at the core of the building will always be our unique Victorian auditorium which makes the Citizens so special.

Hope to see you back at the Citz soon.