“Best Hotel Ever”
Review of citizenM Glasgow

citizenM Glasgow
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The hotel is based directly in the centre of Glasgow with all uses of the cities metro system linked closely to the hotel. The hotel offered the warmest of welcomes from stepping foot into the entrance. The lifts rather slow, but bar that nothing much else to fault on the hotel. Warm welcome from member of staff at the electronic check in area, making check in easy. i also liked the additional offering once you had checked in asking whether you would like longer in uour room the next morning. On arrival to the room very pleased, warm, cosy, homely would be the best words to describe it. The room may be very small and compact to some, but for them reasosn I loved it, I think it let you enjoy more of whats to offer in the room rather than just space... The bed is by far the biggest and comfiest hotel bed I have slept in, even better than the Hilton and The Malmasion. The mood lighting, amazing. I most almost comment on the shower, best I have ever had also. The breakfast the next morning after the cosiest nights of rest, was fantastic. So much option and very filling. The hotel was also nice enough to keep our bags whilst we enjoyed Glasgow for the day. All in all I was so sad to return to the hotel night not for a stay buto collect our bags only. My fiance has booked us back in, in May for 2nights and I honestly can't wait!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,399)

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Ludicrously expensive for what you get, which is a tiny room with very little in the way of comfort.

I picked this hotel because it was highly rated by tripadvisor reviewers as the top hotel in Glasgow. I was staying with my Mum so I checked it was considered OK for seniors.

Well, it isn't. In the rooms there is nowhere to sit, no wardrobe, no bath, no tea and coffee.

Pluses - staff were very friendly and helpful. Bed was comfortable. Location is great.

Don't bother with the £7.95 hot breakfast - you can get better and cheaper 2 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: It is right by a busy road so the higher and further back the better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TykeTraveller1987
citizenMhotels, social media citizen at citizenM Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Hi “TykeTraveller1987”,

Thank you for sharing your experience at citizenM with fellow travelers.

We are transparent, openly sharing pictures and information about our hotel and rooms to not generate wrong expectations. I feel sorry you haven’t been able to learn our approach of accommodations beforehand.

citizenM was built for the modern traveler, who travels a lot but not much interested in huge outdated rooms and other services that are not really essential. Essential here are free wi-fi, free movies on demand, contemporary environment to work, lounge & eat, 27/4 food & beverage, Skype phone rates and a room that has just what is important: a great bed, shower and fun.

Spite of the XL king-size bed (2X2 meters) to sit or relax, there is a chair, a large drawer under the bed to store a Samsonite suitcase, hangers for a jacket, jeans and shirt. Just like in your own house, citizenM rooms do not have a kettle but the kitchen downstairs, canteenM, has 24/7 fresh tea and real Lattes made by our Ambassadors, who are all baristas.

I wish you safe travels.

All the best,
citizenDiego

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I don't know when I last slept this well in a hotel - the bed was amazing, the room perfectly quiet and there were proper blinds to make it completely dark.

Most other things was great about the hotel too - very friendly staff, good location, nice and practical room design, great shower, free wifi, a safe big enough for a laptop, bar/cafe open 24h, etc. (The constant branding of "Citizen M" throughout the hotel was a rather tiresome detail though and actually made the hotel feel less unique than it was.)

One thing that surprised me was that such a trendy hotel had so little environment awareness. The towels were changed every day and at breakfast the cutlery was plastic and a youghurt, juice, marmelade etc in little plastic or glass containers.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Hi “harrietv”,

I’m happy you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks for sharing it here on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your feedback regarding branding throughout the hotel and I understand your concerns about the environment, which I will like to comment.

We must care about the environment we live on and take sustainability very serious.
On most F&B products, we use PLA packaging instead of regular plastic, which are thermoplastic and biodegradable; eco-friendly coming from renewable sources. All plastic cutleries are being replaced to in the coming month.
We have considered not changing the towels but from our own experience, most guests come back to us asking the towels to be changed. Although most hotels display a sign, towels are still changed most of the times, we prefer not making up. On the other hand, our approach on waste and environmental impact is by having the minimum of amenities in the room, there are no small shampoo bottles but we use ones than can be refilled. We are paperless, and there aren’t stationeries - also more hygienic. Guests staying more than 2 nights, bed sheets are only changed every 2nd day (unless is dirty).

Going further, I would like to share that we extend our awareness to other parts of our business. Since the construction of the hotel, the rooms are built in a factory with less environmental impact at the construction site, less waste produced spite of reducing the total construction time to around 10 months, which also saves energy. All lights and equipment used are optimized for energy saving, using LED lighting, and minimum consumption.

I hope I answered your concerns but, please, feel free writing me back if you would like more information or have other questions.

All the best,
citizenDiego
@citizenM.com

Reviewed 21 February 2012

everything you need right on your doorstep. hotel itself was very good with small but very comfortable & clean room.easy to use self service check in/out with friendly staff on hand if you get stuck.lots of free movies on offer but be sure to use the parental lock if you have kids or a dodgy ticker :]

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for a night with my girlfriend for a night in the city. Conveniently located with an impressively stylish interior. Pleasant staff, particularly the guy behind the bar with the dark hair in a ponytail. Liked the futuristic Tokyo-esque look in the rooms. Nice to see a hotel company making a departure from the usual floral wallpaper and trouser press approach. One small detail - the area of the bed where the headboard would normally be was a bit grubby. Something that can be easily missed but easily rectified, whichever way you want to look at it. However would certainly recommend to others.

• Stayed: February 2012