“Wow, what a view!”

Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Just returned from a 2 night break to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday!
I had emailed the hotel to let them know it was for a special break and they didnt disapoint. We had booked an executive room and were in Rm424 which has the most amazing view over the 17th/ 18th hole of the old course and also of the beach. My husbands first words when we walked in the room were wow what a view! The hotel is a little dated but has lots of character, good views and centrally located.
I had arranged for my husband & his friend to play golf on the Castle Course and they had a great day with great weather & views. The ladies went to The Fairmont Hotel for a massage, massage lovely, spa very stylish and I was glad I had visited hotel as it confirmed I had made right decision to book the Macdonald Rusacks as The Fairmont has no soul or history.
We had dinner on first evening at Nahm Jim Thai restaurant, good food & service. I had booked a window table in the Rocca Restaurant within the Hotel which was also lovely if a little limited menu.
Minor nigle on first evening we had no hot water but was sorted in morning but waht can you expect from a hotel of this age.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view book Rm 424
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed 19 May 2011

The Historic Rusacks Hotel has all the charm you would expect located on the 18th fairway of the historic Old Course of St Andrews. Lets face it, the main reason you are there is to play golf but at the Rusacks you get the added benefit of having a staff that truly makes your stay not just memorable but a event to truly remember. The team at the reception desk (Katrina Douglas, Samantha Wright and Christina Denwette) truly took care of all of your needs including multiple dinner reservations, whiskey tours, transportation needs and the like. They knew where to send us and made it look easy!
The Restaurant had a fantastic Breakfast offering along with the biggest smiles, even at 7:00 am as we were geting ready to hit the links. This trip was most likely a once in a lifetime experiance for me and I can not thank the team enough for making it truly unforgettable. Where can you sit in the lobby lounge and watch them either tee of number one or come home on the 18th at the same time? This is a one and only.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We stayed (family of four with two young children) with my in-laws including a baby and toddler.

We were lucky enough to get the family room which is effectively a suite and it was superb! The room was very spacious and the view was breathtaking. Only complaint if I was pushed is that the bathroom is on the small side but as the bedroom itself was so big it is a minor niggle (how much time do you spend in the bathroom?!).

Service was excellent - couldn't do enough for you - and we were on a dinner package which included the excellent food in the Rocca Restaurant.

Overall, we didn't want to leave and my daughter (6 years) cried when we had to go!

We managed to organise our own babysitter but it is maybe worth considering providing a list of approved sitters for familys with little ones.

All in all thoug a 9 out of 10!

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the view! (Exec rm or suite)
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Kevin-Dryburgh, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2011

Many thanks for the kind review following your stay. It is very much appreciated.
We are not often chosen as a family hotel due mainly to the fact that most of our guests come to play golf and usually leave the family at home! I appreciate the request for an approved list of babysitters and this is something we are now working on. I hope that on your return you will be able to make use of it.
Kind regards
Kevin Keenan

Reviewed 1 May 2011

I have just returned from the Macdonald Rusacks Hotel in St Andrews and it was fantastic. The services was first class, the room (216) was one of the best I have stayed in, maybe because it over looks the 18 green at St Andrews, which is one of the best golf links in the world.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone who plays golf. A special thanks to Kevin Keene the manager for looking after us.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights, room was clean however view from the window was of the fire escape. Very rude bar man in conservatory. Good location but would not revisit

• Stayed: April 2011