“Grotty rooms, friendly staff.”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kirkcaldy
Reviewed 27 August 2017

This is a review of two halves, starting with the good and ending with the terrible. I stayed for two nights in August on business, and I'm used to being put in the room round the back with a view of the bins and kitchen extractors - it goes with the territory (public sector, very restrictive expenses).

This hotel seems to have a good reputation in the area, and from what I could see the reception, bar and dining area were all well-presented and very clean, the only negative being the wall of heat that greets you as you ascend the stairs - probably trapped there by the fire door, as it would originally have been an open staircase.
Of course - locals don't stay in local hotels.

I'll start with the breakfast - absolutely fine, in fact one of the better ones in the many that I've had throughout the UK (until you've had a Travelodge breakfast you haven't lived).

Now, I stayed two nights midweek in room 15. This is at the back of the hotel, overlooking the car park. You can also see the snooker club with its neon lights, which are on all night and clearly visible because the curtains hang a foot from the sloping wall..... I sleep with earplugs so I can't say if there was much noise, I certainly didn't notice any. There's a busy railway line behind the trees but it's not particularly noisy.

The room was 'OK' - just very dated, with woodchip on the walls. It was pretty clean (though the shower knob could do with a proper clean - another reviewer has posted a picture of this or another room with this problem). The bed I found to be excessively firm but I suppose that's a matter of taste. I would have given the room three stars if it weren't for that fact that the shower is hopeless - a feeble dribble comes out, barely enough to wash your hair and certainly inadequate for a proper wash. The temperature was also too hot unless it was at its lowest setting. I have no idea why it was so bad - the pressure in the taps is absolutely fine, so maybe it's lack of maintenance (blocked filter?).

All in all - pretty much what I've come to expect from a budget hotel in an older building (though £60 per night is at the higher end of 'budget', but there's not much choice around Kirkcaldy.)

Now the really bad bit.

When I checked in I was allocated room 19.

I made my way to the room and I was shocked by what I saw. First, it was in a terrible state - the same woodchip, but battered on the corners and bashed and scraped elsewhere.

The paint on the windows (1 in the ensuite, 1 in the room) was flaking off, and the glass in BOTH windows covered with a 'frosted' effect. It was soon apparent why. The bedroom window opens onto a dark, dank, damp 'void', with drain pipes and an extractor vent opening onto it. Very little natural light, probably never fully dries out and no fresh air to speak of. It looks like the hotel was extended at some time (probably in the 70's) by building a row of rooms looking out over the back (of which 15 is one), as a result enclosing this and another void.
As well as this deeply unpleasant outlook (it was like sitting in a damp basement), the hotel WiFi was very weak and my mobile was getting hardly any signal - so there was no chance of me doing any work in there.
Finally, and the straw that broke the camel's back - the shower was in a disgusting state. The shower head was held on with cable ties, and the hose was thick with black mould - not just in the crevices, but all over it. It looked like months or even years of build-up, clearly the hose wasn't even wiped down.

I don't normally complain but on this occasion I felt I had no choice - the receptionist was I think a little embarrassed, and she re-allocated me to room 15. I have to question why the hotel thought it was acceptable to put me in room 19 in the first place, it is by far the worst room I have seen in any hotel in the UK.

Unfortunately this hotel's room reviews are swamped by those reviewing the restaurant and functions, hence the overall four stars. I don't know if it's complacency or greed, I find it hard to believe that anyone who calls themselves a hotelier can present rooms like this, especially in the Tripadvisor age!

Room Tip: Avoid room 19 at all costs. According to the floor plan rooms 1, 8 and 9 also look out onto an enclo...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris H
Management response:Responded 10 September 2017

Hi Chris H,

Thank you for your very detailed review following your recent stay with us.
As a small family run business we really value the time our guests put into relaying feedback to us and do our very best to continually learn and improve following these comments.
Firstly, i would like to thank you for your kind comments in regards to our staff, public areas of the hotel and the breakfast.
We are glad to hear that you found room 15 to be acceptable during your stay. All of our bedrooms will be undergoing full refurbishment starting November 2017 as we are aware they require an update.
I have investigated the points you have stated in regards to room 19.
In regards to the cleanliness, our housekeeping team work to a very high standard and always make sure all of our rooms are spotless. There was not any 'mould' as you speak of, as the shower was cleaned to a very high standard and this was checked immediately after you notified the reception of this, but the marks that are visible on the shower is due to the age and we have now rectified this. This room will be completely refurbished very soon, until then we have made small improvements where we can, the cable ties on the shower was a temporary repair that was ongoing on the day, the shower has now been fully repaired.

Finally, i would like to apologize again that you did not enjoy your stay with us and found countless issues fell short of expectation. We would like to assure you of our best intentions at all times.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Hi tried their high tea menu but not nice lasagne was tasteless plate of cheese sauce with a few sheets over cooked pasta and little meat with no flavour. Staff not interested when it was pointed our. Not impressed. Tables too small for everything they bring it toast tea butter cups etc very cramped.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2017

First impression was good. Hubby & I stayed 2 nights for a train trip down to The Borders. Nice friendly welcome from reception. Hotel nice & clean - & warm (radiator downstairs was on!!). Food & drink good & reasonably priced.
Staff are lovely. All very friendly & helpful. They make the hotel.
Breakfast variety should be sufficient for most tastes - cooked, cereal, porridge, fruit. Portion size was strange - Sunday's cooked breakfast 1x sausage,bacon rasher, 1/2 raw tomato, small portion beans, 1x egg: Monday we got 2 of everything- & tomatoes were cooked.
Bedroom was clean, bed comfortable. TV; iron & board; Tea & coffee making facilities provided. Decor is dated & in need of some TLC. We had a dormer window which was at an angle, when you unhooked the curtains they hung @ 90 degrees, consequently huge gap. There were a couple of hooks on the window ledge so we managed to get some cord from reception & tied it between them. After tucking the bottom of the curtain behind it - problem solved. The shower needs updating, very difficult to get the right temperature; either too hot or too cold, & the pressure is woeful.
Parking is available & there is a Pool Club behind the hotel, not sure how noisy it was as we had earplugs in.
All these are minor problems & do not affect the general stay. Would recommend for a short stay, but maybe they need to consider updating showers & decor to attract more clientele.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the Pool Club
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spgnana
Reviewed 7 August 2017

We spent 2 nights in this hotel , it was generally a nice stay , the staff were very nice and friendly , the hotel was pretty nice but there are some things worth mentioning . The hotel is located in a shared drive with a Snooker Hall , on arrival I noticed that the visitors to said snooker hall were of 'dubious morality'! Anyway within 2hours of leaving my car in the car park we had something stolen from our car . If you stay at the hotel at a weekend the 'snooker hall' has a night club that shuts at 0200am , the noise was quite bad at 0230 hrs when the 'clientele' left the club. Our room had a few decorative issues which were over due rectification. We had to ask for some method of timing back the room curtains as the wall they were on was angular and when closed the curtains we about half a metre away from the wall therefore letting daylight through . The fan in the toilet didn't work and the tiles on the floor were collapsing into the floor . The shower pressure was so low you almost had to 'dance around' in the shower to get wet. The above are the bad bits , the hotel was clean and tidy , the menu was extensive , the food was reasonable quality . The room was adequate . I would say that our stay was quite nice , IF I stayed again I would certainly ask that I was situated away from "the snooker hall" side of the hotel , and don't leave anything of value in or on your car when you park in the car park .

Room Tip: The side of the hotel away from nearby snooker hall
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 31 August 2017

Hi AGray284,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this feedback following your recent stay with us.
As a family run business, we really value customer satisfaction and would like to apologize that we fell short on the points stated above and would like to assure you that we have taken all of your comments on board and improvements will be made where required.
In regards to the Styx Snooker Hall at the rear of the hotel, we try our very best to ensure a quiet and pleasant stay for all of our guests, but as you will understand, some issues are out of our control.
Unfortunately, Any items left in or on your car, are at your own risk to do so. We have CCTV operating in our car park 24hrs a day, and this is a private car park, permitted for guests of the Victoria Hotel only. Styx Snooker Hall has their own private parking adjacent to our car park.
I would like to thank you very kindly, for your lovely comments on our restaurant, staff and overall cleanliness of the hotel.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

This was my first visit here for many years and I wasn't disappointed. Went for high tea on a Sunday, phoned to book a table prior to arrival. You sit in the bar to make your order then the waitress shows you to your table in the large hall. Toast and tea was brought to the table immediately. Food quickly followed maybe a bit too quickly hadn't even finished buttering my toast. Lots of choice with added daily specials and the portions are big. We had lamb, roast beef and macaroni and nobody was disappointed. After the meal you are then brought scones and a plate of mixed cakes. The cakes are shop bought but still tasty. The service was good. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 7 August 2017

Hi 969chacha,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we are so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your high tea with us on Sunday.
However, in regards to our cakes & scones, all of our cakes and scones are homemade. We have an on site Patisserie Chef who has been with us for over 10 years and freshly bakes all of our cakes & scones, we are happy to hear you found them to be tasty.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to leave us this review and we do hope you will visit us again!

Hotel Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkcaldy
3.7 km away
2.1 km away
Dunnikier House Hotel
Dunnikier House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Kirkcaldy

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!