“Another enjoyable lunch”

Canada Wood Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #13 of 189 Restaurants in Falkirk
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Canada Wood Kitchen and Bar is Falkirk's Newest Restaurant. Situated only 5 mins from Falkirk town centre, you will feel like you are a million miles away from it all with views over the Forth Valley across to the Ochil Hills. The Falkirk Wheel, Helix Park and the stunning Kelpies are all a short drive away of only 5-10 mins. Serving Breakfast, Lunch and evening meals with food locally sourced and the highest quality. We hope to see you at the restaurant soon.
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

I have always enjoyed the food here and on a wet summer's day it was very pleasant to get in out of the rain and enjoy a late lunch. We both had the sea bream on a wonderfully tasty vegetable mash. It was naturally gluten free. I then had a gf slice of lemon drizzle cake with ice cream while my friend had a coconut ice cream. The poor dog had to stay in the car because the dog-friendly area inside was absolutely packed full. I think the whole place should be dog friendly and the dog haters should go elsewhere. Service was good - and my friend really enjoyed the pink prosecco.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

We had dinner here on a summer evening with our golden retriever, in the bar area. The position is stunning with great walks around and the place is very modern and cool. The food was very good and the service was great too. A very enjoyable evening!

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Positives:

Very Friendly staff

Delicious haggis bon bons with whisky cream sauce

Delicious chicken Ballantine with whisky cream sauce

Negatives:

Extremely dangerous slippery tiles as flooring in restaurant (need to put some rattan rugs down or cover entirely with solid oak flooring (keeping it rustic looking).

Wine Glasses brought to the table with water in, having been told they had just come out of the dishwasher and needed to be cooled down. Not very professional way of serving £25 a bottle red wine, glasses should have been wiped with a tea towel first.

Very warm restaurant, uncomfortable at times, need to fix those skylight windows!

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Please save yourself from the indignity of eating here I took some friends from America here after a wonderful walk in the surrounding countryside . They had been touring Scotland and had remarked on how wonderful they had found its people. We decided to eat here and the service ,waiting time to be served was poor. When I went in to ask how long we had to wait for a server, I was told that people inside would be served first. I said then that we would go elsewhere if it was that busy and the "manager" said yes ,just do that in a condescending way. Not wishing to cause a scene I waited until we left before calling to comlpain. I called up and spoke to her on the phone, where I was met with a barrage of insults and uncalled for remarks. My American friends were horrified, as was I. As a business person, I was shocked and appalled at the customer "service". This was not the first time I have heard of this "womans " rudeness. An empathic response was what was called for, not this tirade. So, unless you are a masochist, dont go there.

13  Thank Stuart T
Monica S, Owner at Canada Wood Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review, we both know this is your wife hiding behind your profile. Please allow me to respond to this absurd review...
On arrival of you and your party on a busy Sunday afternoon with no booking, we were admittedly full in the restaurant meaning outside was all we could offer at that time. Bearing in mind along with your party of 5, a walk in of 14 also arrived at the same time, whom happily sat outside and understood there would be a 15 minute wait.
Yourself and one of the party came inside to order which I explained there would be a short wait (15minutes). You, however, thought this was ridiculous and rather rudely said so.
Upon leaving and then cowardly calling the restaurant to speak to myself, the barrage of abuse that then ensued from yourself and was, quite frankly, disgusting!
Firstly, I find it embarrassing that as a grown woman you deem it acceptable to shout and bawl down the phone to a restaurant when you clearly cannot organise your day out by reserving a table! I certainly do not take kindly to being spoken to in such a manner. I, for one, was brought up better than that.
Secondly, you then outdone yourself for the 'embarrassing statements of the day' prize by remarking that I better not get hospitalized because as a doctor you would refuse to treat me!! I mean ethically where do your morals lie, all because there was a 15 minute wait for food .This says more about you than it does me.
Lastly, after the conclusion of our delightful conversation, you proceeded to call me back and personally attack and ridicule me. An allegedly educated woman acting in such a pathetic manner is laughable.
If I was to review you as a customer it would clearly be 1*. Such a ridiculous review from a ridiculous woman!

Regards
Monica

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Well as Tom Jones sang all those years ago.....we are up among the hills and green green grass of Falkirk - plenty of rain today too to keep the grass lush. Canada Wood is a relatively new restaurant and coffee/cake corner in the hills above Falkirk. On the John Muir walkway and with a cycle business close by, it is a convenient stop off point for a drink or bite to eat.
Near the Famous Falkirk Wheel and the magnificent Kelpies too. Open for breakfast and right through till 9pm. Also good for a quality evening meal on a special (or any) night out. Versatile would describe it perfectly. Responding to the needs of an eclectic mix of reasonable customers and in the process - succeeding as a business. There's a lesson there somewhere for other businesses, services and organisations! Quality local produce used...local sustainability solutions. Wonder if they'll also support the new single malt distillery in Polmont?
Meeting friends I hadn't seen for a while for lunch. A great antidote to a dreich (Scottish word for grey and raining) Saturday ! And it was most certainly brightened up both by the company of friends and the quality of the service and food. I arrived early - not a problem - and was promptly seated. It was busy and buzzing! A sign of a good eatery. I had time to digest (if you'll pardon the pun) the eclectic menu before my friends arrived. Starters. Deli Boards. Salads....if you normally feel let down by choosing a salad on a meal out occasion, you won't here. Mibrasa charcoal grill steaks...if you don't know ....go and find out! Specials burgers and hot dog mains (although the hot dogs were off today). Not my favourite choice anyway (often tasty but full of !*!?!! ). Happy to try ... if they are quality though. Catch of the day.... sea bream today. Fish pie.....delicious aromas of smoked fish and mussels! Mmmm.... Ox cheek and stornoway black pudding risotto with poached hen's egg.....double wow! Next time I'll try that. To name but a few. So we went for three deliboards - vegetarian, fish and ploughman's. All delicious. Washed down with good Scottish water, Ginger Beer and Lime, Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic (deliciously different) and for one of the party who wasn't driving.....a large glass of Sauvignon Blanc. A good selection of craft gins on offer too - but Harris Gin missing?? Portions are large. Service is lovely. Food is very good. The young person who served us could not have been nicer.... so we tipped 10%. Waiting staff are not traditionally highly paid, so tipping tops up their wages and acknowledges very good service. What about the argument of pooled tips or not? Well as long as everyone provides the same quality of service....why not?
Very good value for money too....most expensive choice were the steaks. Understandably.
So 'wood' you or 'woodn't' you like to try it? Go on - you know you would. It's a place of quality that has business integrity.
As the website says......it's a hidden gem - high up in them there hills !!