“Why haven't I been here before?”
Review of The Wheelhouse - CLOSED

The Wheelhouse
Price range: US$2 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 October 2016

After a bad experience at our local restaurant, we decided to try this place out. We have heard about it before but have never actually been before. We thought that maybe it might be too far from us, (we're in Stirling) but it was a little over 10 minutes away in the car. And thank goodness The Wheelhouse saved the day.
The place has a large car park. As we went in we were greeted by a smiling hostess who asked if we had a reservation. We didn't, but she said this was no problem and asked if would wait while she checked if there was table available. We were led straight to a vooth to the left hand side that had plenty of elbow room. Our drinks order was taken straightaway and we were asked if we would like water for during our meal. Never been asked this before so strike one to the Wheelhouse.
I ordered a starter of Shredded Ham Hock, that came on a slice of brioche with onions and melted cheese. I can honestly say it's the best starter I have ever had. My husband had the Stornaway Black Pudding, with poached egg, mushrooms and a balsamic reduction. He said the egg was perfectly poached and he was tempted to order 2 more portions for his main course.
For main course I had the Smoked Haddock gratin. Lovely creamy mash with spinach on top, then a beautiful piece of smoked haddock with melted cheese and prawns. Delicious. My husband had a goumet burger with jalapeno relish, chips and a side of coleslaw. And to my surpise the coleslaw was home made. My husband always says if a restaurant can't do a burger well they are unlikely to get anything else right. He was very impressed with this burger.
Dessert was such a wrench, there was so many things that I liked I had a hard time trying to pick just one. I very nearly asked for one of each so i could try them all.
in the end I settled in the Banana Toffee Cheesecake. It was served with Soaves tablet ice cream and the most gorgeous strawberries i have ever had. The husband had the Nutella and Coconut Tart with tablet ice cream. Plates cleared, my lovely husband treated me to a Cloud nine Cocktail. hmm hmm. chocolate liquer. liquid chocolate, vanilla vodka and cold espresso coffee. Oh Wow!
The bill with a Bombay Sapphire and tonic on top was just a shade over £60.
We were that impressed we booked again for next week for our anniversary.
Just a final word , about our waitress Kirsten. Such a polite and knowledgable young lady , she made our visit a pleasant one Thank you Kirsten.

townhousemarketing, General Manager at The Wheelhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2016

Hi wilkinwonder,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our restaurant. I have passed on your lovely comments to our team and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2016 via mobile

We visited The Wheelhouse for breakfast with our 4 year old daughter. The restaurant manager (sorry can't remember her name) was fantastic. She made our daughter feel extra special and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was excellent and great value for money. We will definitely return and would highly recommend!

Hi SLDougall,

We are delighted to read that your recent visit was fantastic. I have passed on your feedback to our team.

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

I have visited the wheelhouse many times over a number of years but felt it had lost its sparkle a bit. Not any more. I've noticed on recent visits that the service provided is very good with the staff making you feel very important and providing an excellent customer experience. Very attentive and friendly and a great venue all round. The food has always been of a high standard and the menu choice is good although a few more main courses to choose from would be welcome. I tried some of the new dishes the chef was offering on the special boards and was not disappointed. Will be back again soon.

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for taking time to review our restaurant. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your visit. I have passed on your comments to our team.

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

We visited on Sunday for a family birthday and on arriving we were seated by a pleasant girl who recommended the roast beef special. So after opting for the scallop starter I decided to go with the roast beef. When the scallops arrived I struggled to see them on the plate so small they were, neatly mounted on a quarter circle of black pudding and at over £7 a portion the mark up must be at least 600%.
Onto the main course of roast beef and anaemic looking Yorkshire pudding, the roast beef was that fatty I left about half, truly not very nice and the yorkie gave the impression if having been cooked hours ago.
All in all a complete let down and poor value.

1  Thank Still_hungry74

Hi still-hungry74,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, we are saddened to read that you did not enjoy your visit. Our scallops is one of our most popular starters and we always have great feedback on them, unfortunately its seems on this occasion we did not impress. Our Sunday roast beef is Rib eye so there will always be an element of fat within the meat running through however this should never be excessive. We welcome all feedback so we can address any issues. I hope that this visit does not dissuade you from returning and i hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

We visited here one lunchtime, mid week on what can only be described a grey and miserable September day.

We had decided to visit as we had previously visited the Boathouse in Kilsyth and have just heard about this place when booking Christmas dinner, I had to investigate.

On arrival it seems really big and at 12 it was not very busy but it soon filled up and seems to be a popular place for local businesses so I'd recommend to book a table if you are not going to be an early luncher.

They do a reasonably priced sandwich menu which we had initially planned on but having reviewed the main menu and it being such a miserable day we decided to go for the main menu.

We all started with home made soup, it was lovely, lentil with a bit of a peppery kick, really tasty and filling with some nice bread (could have maybe done with another piece as it was nice dunked in the soup).

My husband and I both went for the classic burger and wanted different things excluded, they didn't bat an eyelid at these requests. Burgers arrived, spot on and really tasty, nice chips as well.

My Inlaws went for the fish and chips, one didn't want the mushy peas that came with it, not a problem and was even offered a choice of alternatives. They'd considered the smaller portion but I'd seen on trip advisor that these are really tiny and said this so they went with the main one, it was huge, the fish was massive, the batter was not at all greasy, light and crispy and the fish really white inside, came with a massive portion of chips as well. Both plates were cleared.

The men went for desserts and a Banoffee Cheesecake and Nutella tart with coconut icecream, meant to ask for extra spoons and forgot but didn't even get offered a bite of these, the speed they disappeared at would suggest they were good.

I had coffee which came pipeing hot with a small piece of shortbread and my mother in law had a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows which she said was delicious.

Despite being busy service was excellent, we asked for water with our meal and it arrived in seconds, same with the bill at the end.

Really nice experience, can't wait now for our Christmas Dinner at the Boathouse and will definitely be back here again, although I might try their breakfast or just the sandwiches and keep the main menu for special occasions.

Well worth the visit.

Hi Alison,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our restaurant. I was very happy to read that your visit with us was excellent and that you have also booked for Christmas day at the Boathouse. Our fish is one of our most popular dishes and i am sure you could see why, it is rather large, our burgers are also extremely popular and go down a treat.
I hope to see you again very soon.