“A lovely lunch amid the light industry of downtown Falkirk”
Review of Gambero Rosso

Gambero Rosso
Ranked #7 of 186 Restaurants in Falkirk
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Description: Firmly at the top of the list of Central Scotland's best Italian restaurants, it's our unique canal-side location, warm welcome, genuine Italian dishes made from the best ingredients, fine wine and regular entertainment that all adds up to make Gambero Rosso so atmospheric. It's like a Little Venice. Gambero Rosso, winners of the Restaurant of the Year 2016
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We spotted the restaurant from the road and decided to have lunch. This is a fairly busy part of town and there are various light industrial buildings and some houses around. However, the restaurant itself is very pleasantly situated on the banks of the Forth and Clyde canal. It is a big, high, spacious converted room with kitchen to one side and good decor. There is a raised section at the back which I assume is used at busy times. Decor is good, the place is very clean and table settings, cutlery and crockery are first class. There is a wide choice of Italian food and one can have any of the pasta sauces with any of the pastas, or with rice - a nice touch. We each had rigatoni with carbonara sauce and this was very good, fresh and hot. My wife had a glass of Nero d'Avola and I had a pint of Moretti lager, both most enjoyable. For dessert, my wife had tiramisu and I had a super sundae of Amarena cherries, ice cream and cream. We each had an excellent decaff Caffe Azzurro to finish. The place wasn't busy (it was a Monday) and service was friendly and efficient. Total cost plus 10% tip was £46. We shall certainly come again and bring a couple of friends in the evening. Last but by no means least, the toilets here are modern and very clean - always a good sign.

3  Thank deereleap

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is always bigged up to be amazing so when my boyfriend and I got vouchers to go we were delighted.

I decided I wanted half pizza and half pasta which usually is not an issue in an Italian. I asked a younger man with dark hair if this would be okay and he said of course. When we came to order I believe it was Georgio who took our order however I could be wrong. He said I could not have that unless we shared. I said ok well I need more time to decide then, to which he said abruptly that was fine and he'd come back. I don't understand what the problem was, surely half a portion of pasta can be made and a pizza using half as much dough can be made if that's what a customer wishes for?

I eventually ordered a pasta dish and my boyfriend ordered steak. The food was very good.

When it came to ordering the bill we asked for it and received it. We paid in cash and were due around £12 change. We waited for around 20 mins and didn't receive any change. By this point we had phoned a taxi which was waiting outside. The nice man with the dark hair went to ask for us twice and on the second time a lady not in uniform came over and apologised and said that she couldn't give us our change because she hadn't closed the table, it had been Antonio and he couldn't do it either at the moment as he was having a cigarette. I found this rather unprofessional to leave people waiting for change for half an hour and then declare it was because the owner was smoking?! When he eventually came back in he came over and asked how much he owed us to which we replied that we weren't sure as they'd taken the slip away but we think about £12.

All in all, the food was rather good and the restaurant is lovely inside however on two occasions I found that the service was inadequate and rude and generally a bit disappointing.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

My family & I came for lunch to celebrate my Grandad's birthday. Lovely interior and great atmosphere, staff were very friendly and accommodating to my two year old children. Food was beautiful, I had a fillet steak with Diane sauce which was cooked perfectly. All round we had a lovely experience and will be returning soon!

2  Thank Penny F
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We booked Gambero Rosso for lunch for a large filming crew at the end of June. We were filming nearby and had a tight schedule. The staff were brilliant and went above and beyond for us, allowing us to pre-order all our food, responding to any changes in our schedule and getting all our food out quickly upon arrival. They were also very good humoured and made us laugh! The food was also excellent - everyone on our crew was delighted with their lunch. Highly recommend!

1  Thank pinkdungarees7
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Visited with family, great atmosphere and great meal, food delicious as usual, staff attentive and friendly.

1  Thank Mags9191