“GF pasta heaven!”

Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 2 June 2015

Staff is extremely nice. Also via email when I tried to make a reservation from aboard, and in the place itself. The restaurant it beautiful! My pasta dish was excellent - a little spicy and they also made alterations to the original dish according to what I asked without any trouble. All the pastas can be made GF. In the beginning I asked if they had soup and I was told that they don't have soup in the summer, which was quite funny to us since it was freezing cold outside ;)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,552)

Reviewed 2 June 2015

I’VE ALWAYS AVOIDED eating on George Street since moving to Edinburgh, mainly because previous outings have led me to conclude that you pay a high price for nothing especially … well, special. I genuinely swithered about accepting an invite to Gusto but thought I’d take a punt; you never know – previous perceptions can be proved wrong.

I decided to order lemon risotto with crab and lobster dressing (£6.95) for the starter. The first glance filled me with confidence that the rice was cooked al dente - it was – and the initial taste brought positive feedback: subtle hums of lemon, sweet crab, and a peppery bite from the rocket. It was a decent enough dish, but a whack of salt and a herb oil or another layer of flavour would have prevented that monotone feeling that can come with a dish of this style setting in.

Sarah’s introduction to dining Gusto-style was in the form of tiger prawns in a garlic, tomato and cream sauce with grilled ciabatta (£7.50). I had expected plump shell-on prawns ready to make a mess of her pretty white dress as she tore them apart, but what came was a suspiciously hot bowl with a few, most likely frozen, prawns that, to be fair, were sufficiently tender but failed to fulfil expectations. The sauce reminded me of some generic takeaway offering; the less said about it the better.

For the main course, I picked a six-bone rack of lamb with pea puree and minted onions at a whopping £29.75, plus a side order of rosemary and garlic potatoes for £3.45. Where do I start? This strange, spaced-aged plate is blithely put in front of me with two chunks of uncarved meat. Who sends out a rack of lamb for the customer to carve? Does carving require another tenner on the price or something? I asked for rare lamb but find the first rack overcooked, although not chewy; the second was a better offering, sporting a more desired shade of pink. The puree was fresh and those minted onions were an undoubted high point. The rosemary potatoes were cooked competently enough, though found wanting in the seasoning department. The dish cried out for a rich jus to bind it together, but I just couldn’t enjoy it because I was so irate with the lamb.

Sarah was a little more fortunate with her course of baked fillet of sea bass with roasted peperonata and lemon puree (£17.95), which also required a side in the guise of asparagus with red pepper oil (£5.95). The fish was soft and juicy with the peperonta respectfully executed to give textural enhancements to the plate, with the lemon oil offering a citrus burst to a dish that was enjoyable, but lacking in seasoning. The side of asparagus brought an earthy woodiness to the floor and was cooked just about perfectly, with the red pepper part working in tandem with the fish.

For dessert I went for a baked Alaska (£7.50), something that ticks all the boxes of a dessert I should like, but that all previous attempts have failed to deliver. Unfortunately, this effort didn’t buck the trend. Gavin set the liquor alight, bringing the desired theatrics, but the dish was far too sweet and lacked sufficient amounts of ice cream in the centre to calm the booziness. The meringue failed to achieve the desired crispness on the outside, and while you could enjoy the tart cherry element to begin with, the sweetness became further amplified on your palate; there was no chance of finishing this as a result.

Sarah selected Nutella and mascarpone calzone with vanilla ice cream for £5.95. She really enjoyed the filling but found it just too rich and overly sweet, much like my pudding. In the words of Forrest Gump, “that’s all I have to say about that.”

I'm clutching at straws to find a reason to return to Gusto. I felt sorry for Gavin, as it’s obvious that he is good at his job. He mentioned that he used to work at Wildfire on Rose Street and as I reflect on their menu, it is obvious he has experience in a restaurant that takes pride in sourcing their produce, which I don’t think is mirrored here. The food failed to put across any personality and comes with the lofty price tags that puts me off dining on George Street. I spend my working days trying to entice people away from the mediocrity of supermarket produce; this is the restaurant world equivalent.

2  Thank Philly83
Reviewed 1 June 2015 via mobile

My husband and I visited Gusto for the 3rd time this weekend, as part of a celebratory weekend for our 10 year wedding anniversary. Gusto is one of the restaurants we've enjoyed in Edinburgh before, so we decided to return. Weirdly, we have been given the same table all 3 times we've visited and we enjoyed the most excellent evening at our "usual table" once again!

The food and wine were absolutely delicious. All perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. Mussels to start were fabulous and we can recommend the risottos here, as well as the steaks and pasta dishes we've had on previous visits. Our dessert was simply stunning...a chocolate fondue to share, which included chocolate brownies, mini doughnuts, biscotti and fruits to dip and enjoy.

Our waiter was absolutely first rate and full of banter and charm. He even recommended a fabulous little cocktail bar for us to try after our meal and even which cocktails were best. And his knowledge of the food and wine were top notch.

Yet to have a bad experience here, which makes us all the more excited to hear that a Gusto is soon to open in our home town, Lytham, in Lancashire.

Thank you for helping us enjoy a wonderful anniversary weekend. We will be back!

1  Thank GillyMum
Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

Gusto is a nice place to eat and has a lively atmosphere probably due to the fact that it is alway busy so booking would be best if you are in a large group. There were seven of us and our round booth table was good for chatting. The menu is italian and has plenty of choice for everyone. All the standard fare in there. Most of us opted for pizza, quite big but pretty good. The only downside was that service was a bit slow, the staff seemed busy so we might have caught them on a night when they were a bit short.

Reviewed 30 May 2015 via mobile

We went to this restaurant primarily because it was Italian and we wanted pasta due to running the Edinburgh marathon on the Sunday. We had a fabulous table, the lighting and mood of the place could be one of romance, fun, laid back, whatever you wish. The waiter was very attentive, courteous, overall superb. The food was to die for, with large portions and plenty of choice and we didn't wait long between courses. They made a special fuss of our 8 year old daughter. Would highly recommend and definitely go again. Great value for money.