“Exceeded expectations”
Review of The Table

The Table
Ranked #1 of 2,804 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: The Table is a small, intimate 10 seater restaurant in Edinburgh's New Town. We have one sitting per day at 7pm and we serve one multi course tasting menu. The menu is £80 per person Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and £90 on Friday and Saturday. Reservations are essential. For more information please see the Reservations section on our website.
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I had heard about the table about a year ago from a friend who was raving about his experience. With so many good to excellent restaurants in Edinburgh and the table almost always being fully booked (no wonder with only 10 seats and this quality of food) we kept pushing a dinner at the table forward but decided to book once the pre-book time reached three months. The fact that you have to pay for your meal when you book is ok, but I don't like the no refund policy when you have to book that far in advance.

There were a couple of minor hiccups when it comes to "customer service" prior to our dinner on 8th September, so the table had to convince us even more to get our full approval. The room, the table and most of all chef Sean and Keith won us over almost as soon as we sat down, had our bottle of white wine (byob corkage per bottle currently £ 5) opened, but definitely as soon as we got the Canapes.
Three tiny eye and mouth pleasing works of art that showed off some of the cooking skills and kitchen techniques we could expect for the 7 (!) courses to come. When one of the other diners asked if the Canapes were course number 1, Sean spoke from my heart when he said "only cheap skates count Canapes as a course"

I would happily eat all the dishes again, and absolutely loved the fact that Sean doesn't worry (or care) about potential dietary requirements or likes/dislikes. Froglegs, Foie Gras, almost raw deer might not be the first choice for a lot of people, but I loved it, especially the way he prepared each dish and presented it on the plate. An outstanding example of this was the dish after the main course that was meant to carry you over from the salty to the 2 remaining sweet courses. It did this perfectly well by using and preparing the main ingredient "corn" in different ways and forms - wowing the eye and taste buds.

It would be difficult to chose my preferred dish, as I loved most of them with a only a couple not completely winning me over. But the beef cheeks (to die for) and the froglegs (with wild mushrooms) were properly my favourites. And I absolutely loved the canapés being mirrored by the final sweet plate (number 9).
So much so, that we wanted to book another couple of spaces as soon as we got home, only to see that there were no two spaces left on any of the nights until the end of the year. A shame for us, but well deserved for Sean!
For him, I also hope that he gets his license, so he can earn proper money and wow us with his skills even more.

3  Thank Globe99trotter

Reviewed 4 September 2017

First, but certainly not last time at The Table. The food was exquisite, the Chef's were relaxed, funny and informative about their creations and the music was right up my street.
This is a very unique dining experience which warrants the waiting list to get a booking.
I cannot wait for my next visit.

Date of visit: August 2017
3  Thank Jonathan T
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Been a couple of times as I live in Edinburgh, and every single time I have booked which is good as this place is always jam packed! The food is absolutely stunning and it gets better every single time I visit, there is a reason this is the best in Edinburgh as it really is, just that!

3  Thank AntonyH100
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

This is a wonderful restaurant and a great experience! From the minute you arrive it feels really special, it's like being in an amazing secret food club. The atmosphere is really relaxed and the food is beautiful. Every single course was fantastic, beautifully prepared and wonderfully presented. It is great value for money and well worth being organised enough to book 3 months in advance. A really special evening!

1  Thank Liabrie
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Visited The Table last night for the first time, wasn't sure what to expect!
We had an amazing night. Food was outstanding, every dish that arrived was a work of art, with a bit of fun! A night to remember. Thank you

Date of visit: August 2017