“Excellent sushi”

Ranked #573 of 2,777 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$21 - US$31
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

We've been to Bonsai a few times for lunch and dinner. It's always excellent, great service and a great range of dishes. The lunch menu has excellent value bento boxes too. Try the kim chi as a little side and the Japanese lemonade in the cool bottle.

Reviewed 14 June 2016

We had been to the Broughton Street restaurant a few times and loved it so thought we'd give this a try as Broughton Street has closed down.

We ordered the California Roll but instead of fresh snow crab, it was crab stick. Not what we were expecting. The Dragon Roll was delicious. We tried some gyoza aswell and a couple of specials off the board - all very nice and reasonably priced.

We will definitely go back as we love sushi. Its a nice restaurant, the staff were friendly enough but didn't quite have the attention to detail and charm from the other place. The food was nice, great value for money. Sadly, it just lacked a little atmosphere.

Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

Bonsai is a great little place to enjoy tasty sushi in a relaxed setting. They have an extensive menu with plenty vegetarian choices. The duck and leek dumplings were delicious, and the spicy tuba maki was some of the best I've ever had! The dragon rolls were huge and we ended up ordering a second helping! Definitely recommend to any sushi lovers!

1  Thank KirstyEkua
Reviewed 22 May 2016

Went here for lunch one day, completely random. I saw they had some set lunch menus for 5 pounds but didn't really pay much attention since I had my mind set on sushi. So I ordered 2 salmon nigiris and 4 salmon and avocado makis, along with pork dumplings. Everything was extremely delicious! The dumplings were probably one of the best I had in Edinburgh, and the sushi was really good, fresh fish and well cooked rice. However, one tiny problem I had with the place is the waitress not telling me that the things I ordered (minus the dumplings) were in a lunch menu. So instead of paying 5 pounds for the sushi, I paid around 8. I didn't think that was very fair, since I did order some extra food, too, so I don't believe the price was the issue. Apart from that, the lunch my partner had was quite a small portion, but I guess that's because of the price.

Reviewed 24 April 2016

Popped in on a whim and had a decent, fresh lunch at a decent price. The restaurant is nice and bright with colourful decor and works equally well as a daytime snack spot or nightime restaurant.