“Amazing first Latin American restaurant and cuisine experience ”

Las Iguanas - Edinburgh
Ranked #430 of 2,784 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Cuisines: Brazilian, Latin, Mexican, South American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Las Iguanas opens its first site in the Scottish Capital, walk through the doors of Las Iguanas and find yourself transported to Latin America, full of rich, vibrant colours, quirky features and custom-made wooden mosaic tables made especially for the restaurant from sustainable woods in Brazil. Each Las Iguanas restaurant is unique, and the staff love bringing unusual things back from their travels, ranging from large lobster sculptures, to giant drums. The philosophy of Las Iguanas is to serve delicious and authentic Latin American food and drink, in an environment which evokes the very best of Latin life. With recipes dating back to the 16th century, the food successfully fuses native Latin American Indian, Spanish, Portuguese and African influences. Working hard to ensure that everything comes from the best possible source, Las Iguanas Edinburgh is proud of its fresh GM-free food and top quality ingredients.
Reviewed 8 December 2015 via mobile

Las iguanas has been my first Latin American cuisine dining experience. I loved the lively atmosphere in the restaurant! Two of us ate here at seven thirty on a Saturday night, we booked around a week before hand which I would recommend doing because it was very busy. There was a lot of noise from the large parties which added to the friendly environment, but also made it difficult to talk to our waitress (who was amazing by the way).
Unfortunately, the drinks were pretty average and too expensive for what they were. As for food I ordered the Brie and mango empanadas and sweet potato fries, the service was slow but I put that down to the busy circumstances; the food was definitely worth the wait. I tried to order a dessert but they didn't have any of that dessert left, the waitress explained and apologised when she first met us about the restaurant being out of a few items and slow on service, she suggested that I order churros instead and asked the chef to make a caramel and chocolate halved dip for me as a replacement for not having the original dessert I asked for. The churros and the dips were delicious, just like the main. I'd really recommend this restaurant for large parties of friends or adults of a family - the atmosphere is very suited for groups, however even as just a party of two we enjoyed our meal there and I will be looking for Las Iguanas restaurants near me.

LasIguanasHQ, Manager at Las Iguanas - Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2015

Hello, thank you for your lovely feedback! We're so pleased you enjoyed your first experience and the ambiance. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your meals and that we were able to offer an alternative for your dessert. I must say the Churros are definitely our most popular dessert, and a favourite with both guests and staff! I can let you know the great news that there is a Las Iguanas right by you, so please pop in and see us again sometime soon, and hopefully we can change your mind on the cocktails. Best wishes, Lisa - Las Iguanas

Reviewed 5 December 2015 via mobile

Our table was booked at 8:30pm. We arrived promptly and were given a table downstairs, too small for the group (7 people around a table normally given to 4).

We ordered after 20 minutes and didn't receive our starters until 9:45pm. They were OK..... Nothing better, nothing worse.

Out mains arrived at 22:30. They only arrive after complaining twice.

The food was tasteless and average at best.

Regarding the drinks - their margaritas were but a mouthful and they're other cocktails were definitely not worth the price tag.

Overall..... Terrible. Do not come here. Edinburgh has an abundance of quality Mexican/South American restaurants and Las Iguanas is definitely not one of them.

2  Thank iamadrag0n
LasIguanasHQ, Manager at Las Iguanas - Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2015

Hello, thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all feedback positive and negative, and try our best to ensure our guests leave our restaurants happy. Im sorry to hear you did not enjoy your recent visit with us, and that you didn’t expereince our usually great fresh food and hospitality. I believe you made our team aware of the issues experienced on the night and they tried to compensate for this with a reduction on your bill. Thank you once again for your feedback. Lisa - Las Iguanas

Reviewed 5 December 2015

Absolutely great experience, there was such a great atmosphere and a lovely buzz in the restaurant. Staff were lovely and the food was top notch! It is a fairly busy loud place, great for a group meal....maybe wouldn't recommend for a first date. The cocktails were pretty special too!

Reviewed 4 December 2015 via mobile

I went to las iguanas for a catch up meal with some friends. Most of the food was good but some of it was cold. We asked for more heated food but it was still cold so we asked for a manager. The manager had a very bad attitude but he did take some money off the bill, but I did not appreciate his childish, patronising tone. Surely you should be used to dealing with complaints as the manager. The worst thing was that he didnt want to call me a taxi with almost hurricane weather. Very poor management.

Hello, thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear that some of your meals were cold, this is not our usual standard, and I'm pleased to hear that our manager provided a discount for you. I apologise that you do not feel your complaint was handled appropriately, but our manager assures me he was not intending to be rude. Our team were trying to book several taxis for guests on the evening that you visited due to the hurricane like weather outside, and as you can imagine the taxi companies were exceptionally busy with the circumstances, and our staff struggled to confirm taxis.
If you would like to discuss your visit further please drop me an email to lisa@iguanas.co.uk with your Trip Advisor ID, telephone number and name. Many thanks, Lisa - Las Iguanas

Reviewed 4 December 2015

A lovely evening, excellent food and great service! Iguanas offers good deals and not for this reason the quality of the food is poor. If you wanna enjoy a lovely meal this restaurant is a great choice!!!!

Hi Maria, thank you for your lovely feedback. The team in Edinburgh are really pleased you enjoyed your visit. I hope we can welcome you back soon, and if you havent already head to the website and sign up to our newsletter to receive some fantastic offers throughout the year! Many thanks, Lisa - Las Iguanas