“Excellent Scottish dining”

Cuisines: Italian, Scottish
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Cannonball Restaurant & Bar is located in one of Edinburgh's oldest and most historic buildings at the very top of The Royal Mile, in the imposing shadow of Edinburgh Castle. With breathtaking views of the city, the Castle and beyond, the multi award-winning Cannonball Restaurant serves traditional Scottish food, all made with the finest ingredients from Scotland's bountiful larder. The seasonal menu and tasting menus change monthly to showcase the very best of what is on offer. Traditional Scottish food is at the heart of Cannonball Restaurant with a truly unique dining experience and fantastic hospitality guaranteed every time. Popular dishes include Findlay's Haggis Cannonballs with pickled Turnip, Mustard Cream and Glengoyne Whisky Marmalade and Cleash Farm Pork Belly with Creamed Kale and Victor's Honey Roasted Beetroot and Apples. Cannonball Bar is a stunning contemporary Scottish bar in Edinburgh's historic old town. It offers the perfect venue for a light lunch in an informal clubhouse environment or an ideal place to meet for a pre-dinner drink. Food is served all-day using the finest local ingredients, making Cannonball Bar the perfect place to relax and socialise.
Reviewed 15 May 2017

When I booked my short break to Edinburgh, the first thing I decided I needed to do was to book a table somewhere for my first night. I had been researching eating establishments for quite a while and came across Contini - an Italian-Scottish family-run business with three locations around Edinburgh (all of which I ended up visiting) - their original Italian restaurant on George Street, the Scottish Cafe and Restaurant at the Scottish National Gallery, and Cannonball in an old tenement building at the entrance to Edinburgh Castle.

Downstairs is the Cannonball bar where I was able to get a fantastic Negroni, with the main restaurant upstairs. The bar area is very traditional - lots of wood, leather, and comfy chairs. The restaurant upstairs is quite contemporary with a light and airy feel thanks to the very high ceiling and numerous large picture windows.

I would say the menu is a modern twist on traditional Scottish fayre, with the ingredients sourced locally.

My starter was the Cannonballs - three mini deep-fried haggis (haggi?), with pickled turnip, and Glenhoyne 10yo whisky and Seville Orange marmalade.

My main was the pork belly, with pulled pork croquette, black pudding crumble, roasted new potatoes, and broccoli, which was accompanied by a lovely glass of Picpoul. De Pinet.

My dessert was the rhubarb with milk ice cream, rhubarb crisp, brown meringue, and spiced breadcrumb.

All of the food was very well done - my only criticism would be that the pork belly needs crackling.

The service was very good personally, though I did note that a couple of other customers seemed to have servers who were a little on the clumsy side, though everyone was very friendly and efficient. It was quite amusing listening to one of the servers trying to explain what Irn Bru was to the German or Dutch couple sat at the next table.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

I got to experience eating at Contini while on my tour with Contiki UK. The atmosphere was simply breathtaking. The owner went out of his way to feed all 30 of us and still make each of us feel special. I have food allergies and he made certain that I was fed food that fit within my restrictions.
The rest of the staff were equally friendly and expedient. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling through Edinburgh.

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

Excellent meal, friendly staff, great floodlit view of the castle from the dining room window.

Haggis meatballs were surprisingly good.

Carina C, Manager at Cannonball Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Dear Youtzu,

Thank you for your recent review of Cannonball Restaurant & Bar.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you enjoyed our signature haggis cannonballs!

Reviewed 12 May 2017

My family and I have been fortunate enough to try lots the great restaurants in Edinburgh. This time round we wanted something suitable for a celebration together without being overly formal. We didn't want 7 course private dining, but we did want great food, great atmosphere and great service. We often used to visit Centotre on George Street when it was there and always loved the focus on quality and sourcing of food. Cannonball was wonderful - the same attention to detail and great quality of food + epic views of the castle. Perfect.

Dear Claire-roberts12,

Many thanks for your fantastic review of Cannonball Restaurant & Bar.

I am thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your experience with us.

I hope to see you again at Cannonball very soon or perhaps you can try the newly refurbished Contini on George Street!

Reviewed 10 May 2017

My wife and I chose Contini after passing by and reviewing the menu.

Everything was superb. The Waite staff, the food, the atmosphere.
We had a veil of the castle gates from our table. It is the first building coming out of the castle.

The lobster was perfect. I had Rabbit for the first time and it was very good. I will order it again.

Carina C, Manager at Cannonball Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Dear jeffreypartedwaters,

Many thanks for your review of Cannonball Restaurant & Bar.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and the food, in particular the rabbit. I agree it is a fantastic addition to our menu this month!

I hope to see again very soon.