“Private 2 day tour of Scottish Highlands”

Personal Tours of Scotland
Ranked #43 of 275 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private and personalised tours of Scotland and beyond! We tailor your tour to your needs from 1 day to unlimited. Discover your ancestral heartlands, burial places of your forefathers or just bask in some of the most stunning scenery on the planet. Walk in the scenes of movie sets such as Braveheart, The Wicker Man (1973), Harry Potter, and many more such as the new 'Outlander' TV series. Whatever you want, from Whisky to wildlife, we'll design a tour around you.
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I found Brian Collie via TripAdvisor and all the reviews looked great so I contacted him about a tour for my folks and me. We wanted to see Loch Ness and a couple of whisky distilleries and anything in between and Brian wrote up a bespoke tour for us. Brian had great stories and was very knowledgeable about everything. He was able to answer all of our questions and was an excellent driver as well. All of his recommended lodgings and dining locations were excellent. I have recommended Brian to my friends who will be traveling to Scotland and look forward to booking with him again in the future when I visit the Isle of Skye.

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank wdragonm
BrianJCollie, Owner at Personal Tours of Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Thank you for your kind words, its not a job for me, I love going on tour and to get great, intererestin passengers is a bonus.
Hope to see you again,

in 3 reviews
"stunning scenery"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 22 May 2017

I was planning to propose to my girlfriend (now fiancee) during our short trip to Scotland in October. In order to maximize our time, I hired Brian to pick us up from the airport, show us around Edinburgh and enlisted his help with finding a location for my proposal. Brian was so helpful in planning our tour of Edinburgh and the Borders, and suggested a beautiful location for the proposal. Unfortunately our flight into Edinburgh was significantly delayed and the time we had for our tour was compressed. Brian however was very communicative and kept us on schedule and took us to see beautiful locations such as Dean’s Village, Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, and surrounding areas and got us to the proposal site with plenty of time to spare. Brian even took pictures of the special moment and had a bottle of champagne for us to celebrate with afterwards! It was a memory that we will cherish for the rest of our lives and it honestly could not have happened without Brian’s help. He is a fantastic tour guide who will keep you entertained, not just informed.

Date of experience: October 2016
BrianJCollie, Owner at Personal Tours of Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Hi Gerry,
How are you guys. It was one of my most memorable day trips too, thanks for letting me be part of it!

Reviewed 6 May 2017

When Mom said she wanted to do a tour of Scotland for her 70th I had no idea what ti expect. But then I contacted Brian (who was referred by another tour guide who was booked) and he planned everything. I gave him just a few ideas and the length and what accommodations we would like and he did the rest. And the itinerary was amazing. I was sad at first when I learned that Brian was not going to be our guide (we were a party of 7) but he promised me that our guide, Stephen Hay, had taught Brian everything there was to know about Scotland. And he did! We had a trip that we will never forget. Steve is also very patient! I cannot think of enough good things to say. His knowledge, his humor, his flexibility in accommodating different wants - all the best. Steve made suggestions of places to visit and places to eat. He's book on the fly as we were traveling. He even knows how to speak Highland Coo...not an easy language. Simply put, you will not forget or regret a tour done through Personal Tours of Scotland. Beware Brian - I'll be coming back for the islands one day!

Date of experience: April 2017
BrianJCollie, Owner at Personal Tours of Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2017

Hi Robyn,
Well what can I say...I'm proud to have what I think are the best guides in Scotland,
their organisational skills and personality shine through.
So glad you enjoyed your tour, hope to take you to the magical islands one day!

Brian (Steve will get a big head from this review...again!)

Reviewed 1 May 2017

Embrace Scotland with Brian Collie of Personal Tours of Scotland! Our multigenerational family of a grandmother, two parents, and two preteen girls with varying interests and expectations had the most memorable personal experience each because Brian is an expert guide and storyteller. Every day was full of our must sees and surprise places. Any changes to the schedule on our part like more beaches was handled smoothly and we saw some great spots not on the normal tourist trail. There was ever a dull moment and my granddaughters still repeat many Brianisms like "When you scratch the surface of Scotland, it bleeds history" and that history is best remembered through Brian's stories and travel routes! I highly highly recommend!

1  Thank FrankandSue11
BrianJCollie, Owner at Personal Tours of Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Thanks Sue,
I loved having the 3 generations...sometimes a challenge but your family were delightful.
It makes it very easy when you have nice people. I think we managed all of your requests and more. Remember to dramatise with the kids..."Tidy...your ROOM" lol.
I hope that they dont get on your daughters nerves by doing it all the time.
Next time...Skye!

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 April 2017

From the moment that Brian swept into the dining room of our B&B, kilted, wearing highland tweeds, and looking like he stepped out of a Scottish postcard, I thought "wherever this guy is going, I've gotta go there!" And so glad I did...from the moment we boarded his roomy new Mercedes mini bus, and he handed out Scottish chocolate biscuits, we knew our group was going to be taken care of and have a great time doing it!

I was in Scotland two weeks ago with a group of travelling artists, so our requirements were different than the average tourist. We wanted to see picturesque, sketchworthy sites and needed more time to stop and smell the roses than would ever be possible on a typical packaged tour. We also wanted to understand what we were seeing, and have a blast doing it. Brian brought all these dreams to life and more! He lives and breathes Scottish history, culture, and folklore - but he does it in a hilarious, inclusive way that leaves you wishing your history teacher at school had been anything like this. Trust me, you will laugh, you'll cry, you'll sing, and you'll leave Scotland much richer than when you came, because you'll have had literally the vacation of a lifetime.

Brian's tours are totally custom (bespoke), so you'll have experiences that you'd never ever have 1) on your own, or 2) with a package tour. He took us to visit a famous painter's studio on a remote archipelago in the Hebrides islands who is a personal friend of his, he took us to 'the island across the Atlantic' and made its history come to life with the funniest sword battle any tour group ever lost! We went on a boat 'across the sea to Skye' to a misty island where seals pop out of the water and swim over to see you. We saw Outlander film sites, we ate at tiny cafes where we were the only non-locals there, we savored the sweetness of a picnic on a sunny day in the valley of Glencoe, and hiked to faerie glens and heard the legends of the wee haggis (haggi in plural) until we couldn't laugh any more. It was like an 8 hour a day living theater, with Brian as your trusty storyteller who makes you feel that you aren't just a tourist, but a temporary local and a cherished friend.

Do yourself the best travel favor of your life - if you've ever thought about going to Scotland, but you just didn't know if you could navigate the driving, felt overwhelmed by what to do and were to go, and just want to relax and truly enjoy the ride - book with Personal Tours of Scotland and see for yourself. Best vacation ever!!

4  Thank Jane B
BrianJCollie, Owner at Personal Tours of Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2017

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was an absolute pleasure taking a tour such as yours. Something different and delightful. I am looking forward to your return in September.
Best,