“An excellent stay”

Novotel Edinburgh Park
Ranked #75 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I can barely fault this hotel. From the moment we arrived, the vast majority of staff demonstrated that guests were their priority (there was only one staff member that I found a little less helpful) This continued throughout our stay, early check in was just the first example. Our room was an executive one and it was everything that we had hoped. The benefits attached to having an executive room include a Nespresso coffee machine, extra toiletries, dressing gown, slippers, i-pod dock, etc. The room was clean, bright and comfortable. The bar had quite a good selection of wines, though not the best selection of beers/ciders. The food was quite good, some parts were very good value, others less so. It was the same menu throughout the day i.e. lunch, light snacks & dinner all came from the same menu. Breakfast was very good, I'm not normally a fan of buffets; the food usually goes lukewarm and overcooked, however here the food was hot and of a high standard. At £13.95 per person, it was a little steep though. The pool facilities were good. The gym, although I didn't use it, looked quite good. There were two state of the art computers in reception, which were free for guests to use. The internet speed was very fast. The location of the hotel was convenient for us, close to Edinburgh airport, outside Edinburgh city - it didn't make for wonderful scenery, however that and the distance from Edinburgh didn't bother us.

Overall the weekend was wonderful; a relaxing treat in a modern, attractive hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights whilst visiting a local office. Very easy to find, right next to the m8/city bypass junction, and had ample parking. The reception was very nice, with organised staff and was very quick to check in. Two lifts were available to take us to our rooms. Interesting touch - at each floor there is a shoe shine machine - I wonder if anyone uses it?

The rooms were quite spacious and a high standard. Good flat screen tv which swivelled out towards the desk which also swivelled out. Good for having it on whilst doing paperwork. Also there was a safe and a fridge in the room, as well as a sofa and a good sized wardrobe with hangars. The bed was fine if a little firm. I did find that I had to swap pillows because the ones on the bed were not very comfy - The spare ones in the wardrobe were better.

The bathroom was well equipped with a bath/shower and was very well maintained.

Not much to see out of the window, there's obviously building work going on for I presume the Tram system towards the rear of the hotel, so the bridge dominated the view from the window. My colleague had a room facing the other way, towards the retail park. But this is in a very commercial environment so I had no expections here.

There's a train line right next to the hotel as well - Edinburgh Park train station is next door, and the city bypass not far either, but noise didn't seem to be much of a problem. I heard a couple of trains pass, but nothing that would wake me up. There's also a retail park next door, with a good sized Tesco.

The restaurant was to a very high standard, though a little more expensive than I would have liked. Portion sizes were variable - the burger huge and would easily fill me up, but the lamb was very small and not worth the price. Staff were confused over our half board dinner allowance on the first night, but were fine once we discovered that there were vouchers in Reception we could use. Breakfast was nice, with the usual array of cereals, fruit juices, cooked breakfast available

I never got a chance to use the pool or gym facilities, but had a look when I was passing reception, and seemed quite good and well equipped.

All in all, I thought it was a good hotel to stay at if you're staying on business.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Just had a lovely weekend break in Edinburgh. Booked this hotel through Bookings.com. We paid £126 for a 3 night stay(no breakfast), in a superior double room, and it was that. The room was very clean, lovely and quiet and peaceful. We had room 312. The pillows are so comfortable, only brought a small case with me and I couldn't fit one in it

The only down falls were the view and the price of food. Our room over look a building site, but Edinburgh Park is still being built, so it is to be expected. A fish finger sandwich was £6.95, far too expensive for my liking.

Do not trust their Post Code if you have a SatNav we ended up at another hotel on the park. Try this one. It's still not the right one but you get closer EH11 4DG

I will definately book this hotel again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We were arriving late 10pm so called to confirm, on entering the hotel the 1st thing that hits me is a very strong smell of chlorine( had I entered the local swimming pool by mistake?) Anyway continued to reception to be greeted by 2 nice young ladies, given keycard and told our family room was not ready! Someone would be up to make up sofa bed argh! Just what we need with children at this time of night! After a couple of visits to room, sofa bed made up and pillows found.
The location of hotel is not ideal, window looks out on a building site for the new tram works and the industrial estate.
Breakfast on the 1st morning was ok normal selection of hot and cold buffet. Staff were nice.
The breakfast on the 2nd morning could only at best be described as a shambles.... no glasses for juice, no plates to put the food on, nothing left to choose in the hot selection so a very disappointing breakfast.
We used the pool on twice, they only allow 20 people in at one time, the showers in the changing rooms overflowed on both days so advise you not to wear your shoes when you go in
As for train noise I believe they stopped running at midnight.
This is my first stay at a Novotel although my family stayed at the Heathrow one and enjoyed it
I would not recommend this hotel to my friends just because of the location, pool and small rooms. The only plus side were the nice staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family