“Excellent Lunch Spot”

Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: The cafe opened in March 2012, originally under the name Cafe Musa. It is privately owned and sits near the top of the Mound with spectacular views over Princes Street to Fife. Handy for the High Street or on your way to the Castle from the New Town. We make on the premises our own soups and main course specials and an increasing range of cakes and bakery items. During the Edinburgh Festival we sell beer and wine. We changed our name to Cafe on the Mound in Summer 2016.
Reviewed 17 December 2017

Having just climbed The Mound from Princess Street on the way to the Royal Mile, I saw the Café on the Mound sign. Since I didn’t have breakfast and it was 1PM already, I thought I would drop in and at least get tea and a scone. When I walked in, the outside foyer had the plaque showing it had received a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence award, so I was immediately encouraged that I was in for a treat.

The café is nice, bright and spacious with a combination of high tables and chairs, regular tables and chairs and sofas with coffee tables (it also has a lovely view over to Princess Gardens). I ordered one of their soups of the day, a curried chicken along with their cranberry and brie panini. Total cost including a Diet Coke was around £8.50. The staff was very friendly and the food arrived fairly quickly.

The best part was the food. The soup arrived hot and was incredibly good; it hit the spot on a very cold day. There isn’t much you can do to ruin brie but there are ways to make it great and the sandwich was one of them. It was nice and crusty on the outside, gooey and wonderful on the inside. They don’t scrimp on the brie and the combination with the cranberry made it near perfect. Overall, the food was exceptional, the atmosphere was relaxing and the staff was great. This is the perfect place for a lunch while out touring Edinburgh and you need a respite from crowded, cramped and hectic restaurants.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

Unlike a lot of Edinburgh cafes that are so tiny that you have to sit shoulder to shoulder with the people at the next table, this one is spacious, with a high ceiling and lots of natural light coming in through big windows. It's furnished with bih comfortable chairs and sofas that make you want to just settle in. Coffee and tea are very good. I've never had their sandwiches, but their cakes and croissants are good.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Went for a quick lunch after going to the castle and it was alright. My friend and I both had a tuna mayonnaise baked potato which was fine but not great. The potato was quite small and slightly undercooked, and there wasn't enough filling for our liking. That said, the service was quick and the staff were friendly.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

The cafe has a cozy atmosphere, good tea and sandwiches. I can really recommend their soup too.
We even got a special deal for students.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This is a wonderfully comfortable place to visit with friends and to while away an hour or two!! It was warm and cozy, serving many lovely choices. We will return!