All reviews castle view edinburgh castle great location decent facilities victoria street royal mile nice modern hotel national museum pool and sauna staff was very friendly and helpful hot items grass market fourth floor edinburgh fringe festival hop on hop set you up for the day large shower
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed two nights in the Apex Grassmarket Hotel. The location was great and within easy walking distance of the Castle, the National Museum, and other sites. Our room and the king size bed was comfortable. We had a great view of the Edinburgh Castle even though we were only on the first floor. There was a lively square right across the street, which was nice in terms of places to eat and drink, but not so nice in terms of noise. The room was stuffy and warm, so we wanted to keep the windows open at night, but it was difficult to sleep because of all the street noise and exuberant bar patrons.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HelenF2516
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I could not have asked for a more perfect location to tour Edinburgh. It was central, convenient, quiet, friendly, modern but surrounded by history. The staff was accommodating and friendly. My 8 year old and I stayed on the 5th floor. We had a castle view room. It was like a fantastic Scottish dream! I can not wait to return!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Blythe W
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. The A/C wasn't working very well, but otherwise a beautiful hotel. Super comfy beds and designer toiletries. The view out our window of Edinburgh Castle was breathtakingly beautiful.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra H
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is is a great location, just under the castle, facing a partly pedestrianised square with plenty of interesting shops, bars and restaurants on it. The hotel is modern, with smart rooms and all the kit appears new and in good shape. The breakfast and wifi is fine. The problem I had was with the noise coming into the room. My room was at the back on the 4th floor, there was substantial noise from exterior AC units all of the time, including through the night. The windows have modest double glazing, insufficient to exclude the noise. Irritatingly, my room had no AC, so I was too hot as well (it was unseasonably warm that day). I recommend this hotel if you get a room at the front.

Room Tip: Chose a room at the front to avoid AC noise.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank JulianLeicester
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is excellently situated with a view,(from our room) of the Castle and Grassmarket area. The breakfast was lovely, as it always is at Apex Hotels. The staff were well-trained and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. We try to stay at Apex Hotels whenever we are taking U.K. breaks because they are reliable, but usually with a bit of flair. This hotel looks tired and messy - it really needs a good overhaul. The corridor carpets are wrinkled, for instance. The entrance is dull and dated looking, as are the rooms. The sealant round the baths, whilst clean, is stained. When I go away, I want to feel the hotel is at least as well maintained as my home, and hopefully better. The dark tiles in the breakfast room look as if they need a really good wash! There was nothing inherently wrong with the stay - but I really didn't feel as if I was getting the all round luxurious experience of the London Apex Hotels. And that swimming pool!! We brought our cossies, but as the pool is visible from the street and appears like a large tin bath, we didn't bother! I am of a certain age and wouldn't walk down the street in my swimming costume, so why would I swim in a pool on view to the street? I was not alone in feeling this way. But. clearly, the staff try very hard to make you feel welcome and the beds are dreamily comfortable. And the food is good, so it is up to you how important the visuals are.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple