“Amazing family run Italian restaurant”

Frizzante Proseccheria
Ranked #143 of 2,754 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$7 - US$78
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Frizzante is a family run restaurant with over 30 years experience. Situated in the centre of Edinburgh on Lothian Road in the Heart of the theatre district, a stone's throw from the main shopping district, Frizzante prides itself on serving the finest in Mediterranean and Neapolitan cuisine. With daily and monthly specials as well as our a la carte menu, you're sure to find something to satisfy even the fussiest eater. All food is freshly prepared on the premises. As well as vegetarian meals we have wide range of gluten free dishes. We are fully-licensed and have an excellent wine list and a selection of beers and lagers.
Reviewed 10 February 2018

I have visited Frizzante on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. I have taken friends, in-laws and folks from out of town and everyone loves the food and service at this lovely restaurant.
Last night we were a party of 4, this time introducing my brother and his wife to Frizzante. It was a busy Saturday night and we did have a little wait for our table, but we ordered a bottle of fizz and were perfectly happy to wait.
The starters were all yummy, my sister-in-law loved the mussels and couldn't get enough of the sauce it was served with. I had the mini sausages and the sauce they came in was lovely, with just a little but of a kick to it.
The main courses were also really good. My brother and I had pizza, definitely the best pizza I have had outside of Italy. Veal and calamari were the other two mains and we all cleared our plates.
I'm not usually a dessert fan, but if the white chocolate and raspberry pavlova is on here, I never refuse - it is delicious and just a nice size to finish off the meal.

All the staff at Frizzante are really good, nothing is too much trouble and they all wear a genuine smile! The atmosphere is really nice, the music noticeable, but not too loud and it is easy to hold conversations with your table mates.

I'm already looking forward to going back again.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Where do I start, the starters are tiny. Had 2 tiny brie parcels with a mango dip and one cherry tomato as garnish. The cherry tomato had been sliced into 8 pieces to make it look more. The main course wasn't any better. Scampi I had ordered but I didn't expect the meal to make a McDonald's happy meal look like a Michelin starred meal in comparison. 6 tiny pieces of scampi that were so small I'm sure they were bread crumbed shrimps, also on the plate were 6 small chips. That was it! No garnish. No tartar sauce. £15 they had the cheek to charge for it. The plate was bare and looked ridiculous. The waitress waited impatiently by our table while we ate our starters and as soon as the last mouthful was gone she immediately took the plates away. A bit off putting having someone watch your 2 mouthfuls of starter like that. Not worth the money. There are better places to go. Don't know how there are so many good reviews. Maybe they had their dinner before they went and only wanted a pre theatre canape.

7  Thank JillAdventures
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We called in here on Saturday evening with friends for dinners and drinks and we could not fault it.

From the food (fantastic fresh pasta & pizza!) to the attentive and friendly service. This family run restaurant is a must while in Edinburgh!

If you visit you must get the Fried Brie starter, it is amazing!

We’ll be returning on our next visit to the city.

1  Thank Jack P
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Absolutly amazing food and vine! I got the arribibiata witg olives on side and it was one of the best ever! The waiters is absolutly the sweetest and you CANT see this from the outside! You need to go ind and experience this excellent place. Magic and romance ! Lots of love from a turist from DK.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

..and finally went in having seen excellent Tripadvisor reviews. The welcome was warm and the place is a LOT larger than it looks from outside. The service was prompt and polite and the food excellent, especially the 'special' of black ravioli with scallops. We felt like our visit mattered to the owners and staff - spot on.