1,191 results
All reviews no lift top floor york place velux window basement room huge room superior room lovely hotel tram line single room central location princes street full scottish breakfast main attractions tea coffee stayed here for one night waverley station
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Stayed here during the festival for a few nights. It it is in the city centre. five minutes away from George Street and less than half an hour to the castle We were up a couple of flights of stairs and had a beautiful view of the city and river. Check in was smooth, the young girl was very friendly and helpful, helping me book a nail appointment for the next day and, even helped us up the stairs with our luggage. The room was pretty standard, everything you need but no extras to be excited about. It was a little warm but comfy and fine as we were going to be spending most of our time out in the city.
Overall an perfectly fine stay. Nice staff, clean and comfy.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
William H, Front Office Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Dear Pennyc302017,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed all our Hotel has to offer and it's wonderful to receive such feedback regarding our staff,I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Sarah.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Stayed here as part of a Rick Steves tour with 27 other people. Had a 3rd floor room and there's n lift but they'll carry your bags upstairs. Nice and roomy room that we enjoyed. You should know that they don't have air conditioning in places here so we left the windows open all the time. Nice sized bathroom with heated towel rack. Only thing that didn't go well is the tv reception sucked. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. Tried my first haggis! This us right across from the last stop n the tram stTion.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Claudia D,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.As you mentioned there is no lift or air-con,the reason for this is we are listed building so unfortunately this is not possible.
I am sorry to hear there were issues with the TV during your stay and we are working on getting this rectified.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review and we hope to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Good location if travelling by train or taking tours from Waterloo Place. Staff on reception were friendly and very helpful. Good breakfast. There are some nice dining options nearby at the Omni Centre.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
William H, Front Office Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Dear Margaret T,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us especially the central location and the friendly service of our staff.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

We stayed here before and after our Roick Steves tour of Scotland. The location is great. You hop on a tram at the airport and end up just across the street from the hotel at the end of the tram ride. Out room was huge and well appointed. A sitting area, a small table, a very lage bathroom with a tub and shower While they do not have an elevator, our room was just a short flight up from the ground level. Since the hotel is right on the tram line which runs down to Princes street, you can easily use the tram line as a guide to returning should you be directionally challenged. We were there to do the Fringe before and after our tour and the entire Fringe and Edinburgh castle were easily walkable from The Place. We have heard that some of the rooms are small, but did not see any of these. All members of our group were happy with the hotel. There is a small grocery store about a half block away. About the only thing that would have been nice to have was a mini-fridge in the room.We stayed in room 3604. Ask for it you will not be disappointed.

Room tip: We liked 3604

Dear Timmac,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed all our Hotel has to offer especially the central location and the convince of having the tram stop right at our door.

Thanks again or taking the time to write this review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Arrived in Edinburgh during the Arts festival. This hotel is about 5-10 minute walk to Waverly Station and the Scott Monument. 10 minute walk to Calton Hill, 15 minute walk to the Royal Mile. So very good location. It has a nice comedy club outside of it as well. Also, it's about 5 minutes away from one of the Edinburgh hop on/hop off stops.

We walked into our room and it was probably the best view we had in 6 different hotels in 16 days throughout the UK and Ireland. There is no lift so be mindful of that. Also, I remember inquiring about the first floor. They point out that if you want the first floor it can be noisy as they have an covered/uncovered bar above. I bring this up because one day there was a guy complaining about the noise. I sort of laughed because I remember them pointing that out to me so we went to the 2nd floor.

Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I emailed each hotel we were going to stay at and this place offered the absolutely cheapest way to do laundry. 12 pounds a bag and you can fit as much into that bag as possible. Every other hotel was almost 12 pounds for a shirt. They only take cash as its an outside source that does the laundry but well worth it.

Breakfast was the same every day but fine.

The room as I said had a great view, was bigger than I thought it would be (we just came from London) and behind the headboard was some pretty cool funky lights that would change different colors.

The one problem with the room for me was the shower. I'm not skinny but not obese either. I could barely fit in that shower and if you dropped anything forget it, Might as well shut the shower off and step out to get it.

Room tip: Email them and tell them what you want. They work with you. They did with me and I'm just an American. :)

Dear Joelheater,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are indeed very lucky to be situated in such a wonderful location.
It's always great to receive positive feedback about our staff and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.
In regards to the shower,I will certainly look into the issue and see if we can improve this.