“Spacious but bland - great breakfast though!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #113 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
York
“Spacious but bland - great breakfast though!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed here for one night for my husband's birthday. We chose the hotel firstly because of its location and secondly because of the excellent reviews it had received on Tripadvisor. The location is excellent - easy walking distance to many of the major attractions and well served by local buses which stop outside (it is also very near to the bus station). Our room was on the second floor - there was no lift and no porter so we were glad we were travelling light! The room was very clean, large and spacious and but very bland - no comfy chairs - just a cafe style round table with cafe style (very modern chairs). The bed was enormous and comfy. The lighting was very modern - a huge central light and red (!) strip lighting behind the bed. The wall lights next to the mirror would have been useful but only one worked. The bathroom was tiny, such a shame as it would have been very easy to make it larger. There was no bath, just a walk in shower and nowhere to put your soap or shampoo whilst you were in the shower. Also the shower had a fixed head so it would be difficult to use without getting your hair wet - no shower caps were provided. The biggest problem we had was the noise - the hotel is situated on one of the main thoroughfares through Edinburgh - a dual carriageway - the traffic was heavy and continued all night, frequently supplemented by emergency vehicle sirens and the shouting of late night revellers (and this was a Monday!). Aparently because the building is listed no double glazing can be installed. On the plus side, the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was superb - a wide selection of produce from a buffet - fruit, cereal, yogurt, cheese, cooked meats, continental pastries, etc. - supplemented by freshly cooked to order goodies - my husband had kippers with poached eggs which looked and tasted delicious. I would stay again but only if I could have a room at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you don't want to be disturbed by noise from the street.
1 Thank 50somethingyork
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback.
Im glad you enjoyed your breakfast so much - Chef was very pleased when he read your comments! Since you stayed with us, we have received our final delivery of soft furnature and installed shower shelves in the bathrooms so I hope you can return to enjoy the improvements we have made.
Jind regards,
Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

stayed here for just one night so although the basement room was small it was adequate.The room was spotless and although it lacked some minor things (towel rails,mirror in the bedroom)it was very well presented and comfortable.We had problems with our original rooms door being unable to lock it but were put in another one straight away,The Staff were very friendly and welcoming and reception was available 24 hours a day. The hotel is in a great location and a short walk to the town centre,all in all we enjoyed our stay and would hope to visit again sometime in the future.

• Stayed February 2012
Neil E, General Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Cardys,
Thank you for your feedback. Robbie and Stephen (the guys who helped you move rooms) remember you and send their regards. It is frustrating that the issue of the door not closing properly was missed when your room was checked prior to your arrival, we apologise for this and have since re-visited our room snagging programme to ensure all these little niggles are sorted. I apologise too for the lack of mirror and towel stand/rail in your original room; this was an oversight and has now been rectified. Our well-appointed “City Doubles” quietly located to the rear of the hotel are geared towards the light traveller on short stays as such the price reflects this. Should you be looking for a more spacious room on your next visit, please do enquire about our “standard double” rooms, or indeed one of our larger “Grand and Spacious” rooms, some boasting fantastic views over to the Kingdom of Fife.
I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.
Regards,
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This hotel is lovely and stylishly decorated, the staff were also friendly and helpful. It is situated in an excellent location, with most attractions in walking distance. Although the hotel itself looks great, I was unlucky enough to be placed in a room that I had to leave the main hotel to get to. The room is the tiniest hotel room I have ever stayed in, less than a metre space to move around the bed. The door to our room is also located right next to a heavy fire door which in the evening, reguarly banged loudly against the frame when passed through. My partner and I did not mind too much as we were headed out for evening. Throughout the night however, we were woken on a number of occasions by the banging of the fire door and the banging was especially frequent in the early morning. Not the relaxing stay we had hoped for after a busy day in Edinburgh. In the morning I complained and the reception informed me that they are looking at putting foam around the door. Good idea, but does not make a difference to our stay or lack of sleep. The hotel itself is lovely, clean, with helpful staff (did not charge us for parking due to the noise) and in a conveniant location. It seems this is a good choice of hotel but I was very unlucky with the location and size of the room. Not sure I would visit again as disappointed with the room.

Room Tip: Better to get a room in the hotel than in the basement
1 Thank Danielle D
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Dear Danielle D,
Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry the room was'nt to your liking. I appriciate you found the room to be on the small side, but we do discribe our city rooms as compact in all of our literature and the rate reflects this. I would urge readers to bare in mind that "City" is our smallest category of room and we have four categories above this and a room to suit every occasion. We have taken your feedback on board and are working to resolve the issue of our fire doors closing so loudly.
Kind regards,
Stephen
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Fresh from the overnight Caledonian sleeper train, I arrived at The Place at 7:30 in the morning — it was still dark out. First thing the receptionist tells me after glancing at my booking print-out: "Come back and check in at 2 PM." Heartless! She said she would allow me to leave my bags but then I needed to come back at 2 because that's when guests are allowed to check in. I asked to use the bathroom so I could at least freshen up, and when I emerged some 20 minutes later, she's had a change of heart and told me that the room was ready so I can actually check in right then and there. Now, that makes more sense. But the initial cold reception and first impression...that I could not forget.

Secondly, I booked this hotel because it says in their page that they have free wifi in the rooms and in the lobby. Guess what? In the two days that I stayed there, I couldn't log into the internet. Turns out, they still haven't sorted out their wifi. So there was NO WIFI at all. They should NOT put that in their page as well as in the bookings page of agoda or booking.com — because it's totally misleading. I needed to email some stories to my editor at that time, so I had to rely on cafes that had wifi around the town. Totally INCONVENIENT!

Rooms: Very lovely, spacious, clean and new. Roomy and very comfortable! I got the double on the top floor with a beautiful view of the city. I loved the room! Bathroom was also spacious and clean. Loved that. For me, this is their best feature.

Bar downstairs: Great space, but empty during the time I was there. Service there was good. Drinks are reasonably-priced, and it really is a nice place to unwind and figure out your schedule for the next day. Warm, cozy with lots of comfy sofas and armchairs.

Tip for hotel owner/manager: Train your staff to exhibit a little more warmth and helpfulness. Except for the lovely barhand who made my drink at the bar — which looks excellently decorated and outfitted by the way — they all acted as if they didn't care. This was the first impression I got the moment I arrived and was told that I couldn't check in my room — and that was the feeling I got when I left. But then, maybe I just caught everyone in a not-so-great-mood. But still...

Location: Location-wise, it's a bit tricky. In wintertime when it gets dark around 5 or 5:30, it's a pain to go from the city center and go around St Andrews Square, which is closed around that time. So location, too, was a downer. You're really better off with a hotel located in George St. where it's really easy to come in and out.

I booked this hotel because it got such great reviews. It's sad that I was quite disappointed with my experience. I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and I can say that service and attitude in the The Place needs improvement.

So honestly, next time I'm in Edinburgh, I may be staying in another hotel. Good luck, though. The rooms and facilities in this hotel are really good, ensuring for a comfortable stay after a day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: There's no lift, so be ready to climb stairs! If not willing, perhaps ask for a room on a lower...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank mcdg
Neil E, General Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear mcdg
thank you for your review and I'm sorry you felt the welcome at 7.30am on your morning of arrival to be less than perfect.
We pride ourselves on ensuring that our guests are looked after to the best of our ability and on this occasion we appear to have left you wanting.
I am glad we had a room free from the previous evening that we were able to allow you an early check-in and also we had a place for you to freshen up.
We did have a temporary outage of our 'free to use' wi-fi connection which was hopefully explained to you. This is now back working and during this time we allowed guests to use the reception computers to send an receive emails.

Delighted you loved your room which I believe was 3612, a personal favourite of mine too! We have designed new rooms in upper 38 (due to be open Mid March) with seating areas overlooking the views you speak of. A truly inspirational view for writers like yourself.

Sorry you didn't find the taxi route to the Hotel easy from the Station. I dread to think what way you were driven as it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes!
I do hope we have the opportunity to have you back next time you visit Edinburgh and I promise the welcome you receive will be a much better one.

Best regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is a new hotel and has been very stylishly refurbed, with imaginative lighting, a nice modern feel and very friendly and efficient staff, both front desk and in the bar and at breakfast.
The location is second to none, and parking is reasonably priced and quite close to the hotel.
Our room was very large and at the front of the hotel. No issues with road noise at all.
There were however a couple of rather odd things about the room. As stated, it was very large, and had two double beds, a desk and large, wall-mounted flat screen TV. Plenty of wardrobe space, too. Very oddly, however, there was nowhere in the room at all to sit, with the exception of a plastic desk chair. Other than that, you have to sit on the bed, which is not very comfortable, and not very elegant. With a room this big it would have been easy to put in a king-size bed, say, or two large singles, and a sofa or a couple of easy chairs and a table.
Even more strange was the bathroom. It's all very nice, with nice modern fittings, etc. - not much water pressure, but adequate. But there is no storage or shelf space at all. Nothing. The hotel-provided toiletries are arranged on the side of the washbasin, and that is the only place - apart from the floor or the loo seat - to put anything. So if you come with a wash bag - well, maybe best not to come with a wash bag. This was also the first 4-star hotel I have ever stayed in which didn't provide face cloths. A small point, of course, but it caught me out.
Then the breakfast. The cold buffet is excellent. However, despite the rather assertive response by management to a previous reviewer, I also find it frankly very strange that it is not pointed out in advance that the kitchen is halal-friendly and that bacon is not served at breakfast. And I agree with the previous reviewer that the sausages served are really not very nice.
We really wanted to like this hotel, and in many ways we did. However, because of the above points it won't be our 'go-to' hotel in Edinburgh, but will simply be one of the hotels we consider

3 Thank Wordzz
Dear Wordzz
thank you for your detailed review and pointing out a few design oddities which we are currently addressing.
Delighted that you didn't find the ambient traffic noise an issue at the front of the Hotel and I trust that you stayed after the listed windows were refurbished.
The room that you stayed in 3607, is our one room that we designed with larger guests in mind and for those families with smaller children whom parents want to be in the same room. As you say, we do have other rooms that have extra furniture to relax and chill in the room. The more information our guests give us prior to arrival, the easier it is to allocate the most suitable room, depending on which grade was booked of course.
It was a concious decision not to have face cloths in our rooms from the outset. It was our findings that the majority of guests do not use them for their intended purpose so by not having them allows us to pass on the savings in our room rate.

Hoping we have the opportunity to become your hotel of choice in Edinburgh.
best regards