“Best sushi and sashimi in Edinburgh!”
Review of Kanpai Sushi

Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed 22 June 2015

I took my partner who is Japanese to this restaurant as a birthday surprise. The food we had here was amazing, and he exclaimed that it was just like high quality restaurants in Japan or fresh from the fish markets (and I agree).
We had the special sashimi combo, which was beautifully presented, fresh and delicious.
We also had some maki (sorry forgot which kind as it was a while ago) and genmai tea (which was lovely).
The staff were really lovely and attentive, and the atmosphere in the restaurant is really special.
I've had friend visit the restaurant and they have forgotten the name, when they said it was the best sushi they have had I knew it was Kanpai, and it was!

Reviewed 21 June 2015

As we have been to Japan on several occasions we are addicted to Japanese food and we feel very disappointed by the quality of Japanese restaurants in Scotland. Although there are several restaurants that are supposedly Japanese the food quality is poor or gimmicky.
However, Kanpai is a real find and well worth visiting of you like or you want to experience Japanese cuisine. The food is authentically Japanese and the quality excellent - the restaurant exploits to the full the variety of food and seafood produced in Scotland. There is a wide choice of sushi, seafood and all the staple Japanese dishes you would expect to find in a self respecting Japanese restaurant. We particularly liked the seared tuna and the avocado hand rolls - all the hand rolls looked very appetising. We thought the tempura was fine but not exceptional, the caramelised aubergine out of this world so we ordered it twice and the only disappointment was the crab dish - too little crab that was undetectable. The menu is not adventurous but probably adventurous enough for people who have not visited Japan. All these of course come at a price. This is not a cheap restaurant but is in keeping with the quality of the food offered.

The restaurant is very centrally located, next to the entertainment district of Edinburgh and unsurprisingly very busy. Although the service is good, the staff lack some knowledge about the dishes and are not in the position to advice on what to order. The only let down is the double bookings and the fact that there is a delay in the seating even when there is a reservation - we waited for half an hour for our reservation to be honoured and we were not offered any apologies or even a free drink when seated! I suspect that the restaurant tries to cram in as many customers as possible given its popularity. Since our first visit we have already returned to the restaurant and expect to continue to do so. There is no competition for such food in Edinburgh or Scotland!

2  Thank Scotscouple99
Reviewed 20 June 2015

The food was very expensive and the quality of the sushi was just OK. Also, we were committed to one type of dish without much variety. For instance, the rainbow roll had 8 pieces and was 11 pounds. This was for one person. Why not have a variety? Not recommended.

Reviewed 9 June 2015

Of course, sushi is a dainty food and Kanpai serve delicious sushi, nigiri and other Japanese foods, so do not be surprised when you splurge on three of so dishes.

Reviewed 6 June 2015

This is one of my favourite sushi places in Edinburgh! It is always busy, so I try to book in advance. I usually have aubergine to start - always fresh and just melts in my mouth. Tried various types of sushi, and certainly going there soon to try more. Absolutely delightful food! The only thing I would suggest improving is dessert options.