US$206
US$164
US$222
US$214
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$171
US$208
Trip.com
  • Bar/Lounge
4,225 results
All reviewsthe palm courthadrian's brasseriescotch barrocco fortesean conneryconcierge stafftrain stationbeautiful hotelturn down serviceprinces streetluxury hotelbirthday treatedinburgh castlecastle viewroyal milespadoorman
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We had an overnight stay at The Balmoral as part of our honeymoon. When we arrived we found we had been upgraded to a Castle facing room on the 6th floor, gorgeous room, amazing views, very romantic with the Christmas lights and the snow!

We were welcomed at the door by an extremely helpful member of staff, who shook our hands and relieved us of our luggage. Check in was hassle free and help and advice was aplenty! The facilties were fantastic and the room amazingly clean and luxurious. We ate out at night and when we returned to our room found our bed 'turned down' and a sprinkling of rose petals on the bed, a personal and lovely gesture for the honeymooners!

Breakfast was fantastic, I am vegetarian and the selection was the best I have seen in a hotel, staff were very attentive and nothing was too much effort. I grew up in Edinburgh and as a child I used to pass in the bus with my Granny and used to ask her if I could go in to the big house, she replied "One day". Now living in the South of England I returned to Edinburgh to Honeymoon and got my wish to go in to the "big house", and I for one will return, one of the best hotel stays I have had, and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone!

Thank you to everyone at the Balmoral for welcoming us so warmly!
The new Mr and Mrs Edwards

2  Thank mumandfinley
Reviewed 30 December 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Balmoral for 1 night from 5th Dec to late on the 6th. I had booked the 'Celebrate at the Balmoral' package as a surprise for my girfriend. We arrived at 7am on the Caledonian Sleeper train and had arranged for a porter to meet us and take us to the hotel. He was fantastically dressed in full 'scotsman' dress and took us straight to a taxi and to the hotel main entrance. I had booked our room for the 4th so it was available immediately. We went straight up to a fantastic superior deluxe room with a full view of Edinburgh Castle. The room was much bigger than I had expected with a queen bed and large table with a phone and internet access. It also had a seating area with a two-seat sofa, two chairs, a low table and a good size T.V. The bathroom was amazing, with lots of space, very clean, with a large bathtub.
Once unpacked and having had our Champagne and Strawberries with our package, we went for Breakfast and were seated in the bar next to the restaurant. The breakfast is a self- service buffet with hot drinks ordered from the waiter. The quality was excellent as was the choice. After breakfast, we went and got changed into our very fluffy and soft bathtrobes and slippers and went down to the Spa.
The spa at the Balmoral is simply excellent and would take too long to explain here. Basically if you stay at the Hotel, you MUST visit. The staff are superb as are the facillties and the choice of treatments. My girlfriend was unable to book most of the treatments as they were already fully booked, but she did manage a facial and a massage. I just lounged by the pool and made full use of the Turkish steam room and Finnish sauna.
After the Spa, it was time for our pre-booked Balmoral Afternoon Tea in the Palm court. It was very busy and I would recommend that you book well in advance. Again like everything else at this hotel, it was excellent from start to finish, with a glass of champagne, five rounds of sandwiches, several different cakes and scones and all served on a lovely cake stand.
We then retired to our room to await the Bath Butler for the last bit of the Celebrate package. He arrived bang on time and ran a lovely bath for my girl, explaining how and when to use the oils, scents, and creams he had brought.
By now both of us were so well relaxed we decided to stay in and watch a film on pay-per-view and order room service. The prices are the same as the restaurant, with a 3 pound delivery charge. It was so well presented and delivered that we decided to also have breakfast delivered to our room the following morning. We also had a Chamber-maid come in and do a turndown service for us, which we had not requested. I am not sure if this was complimentary, but no charge appeared on the bill so I assume it is.
After Breakfast the following day we checked out and were pleased to discover that we could leave our bags at the hotel until our train journey at 23.00 back to London.
Overall this was a fantastic stay at a great hotel with excellent staff made all the better with a congratulation card on our engagement from the staff at reception.

I only have one complaint about the hotel

The staff did not seem well organized with the itinerary of the package I had booked.

When I booked the hotel and the package, I requested the Champagne and Chocs to be ready in the room on arrival. This was when I was going to propose to my girlfriend. However, on arrival I was asked if I wanted them now or later, hence they arrived ten minutes after I had 'popped the question' (my girlfriend said yes by the way).
Also, in the room was a card with all the package details on it including the time of the afternoon tea which said 3 o'clock, however I had booked it for 5 o'clock on Dec 3rd as that was that was the only choice left when the hotel rang me to confirm our arrival and booking etc. When we arrived for our tea, it was clear that they were a bit surprised to see us, but quickly recovered and got us a table after 'massive' 1min delay. The bath butler bit went off without any problems as we arranged that at breakfast, but again the package states that you have beakfast in bed. When I checked this, I was told we could have breakfast in our room with a 3 pound charge, but it dosn't say that when you book the package.
My guess is that with so many packages on offer, the staff struggle to keep up with who is booked on what and at what time, but it is a bit worrying when you want it to all to be perfect for a special occasion, so my advice is this, DOUBLE check it and then CHECK again!
Once more, this is a truly great hotel with excellent staff who polite, friendly and efficent.

1  Thank booandkitty
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Our family of five stayed at The Balmoral from 18-20 Dec 2009 in adjoining rooms.

Every aspect of our stay went smoothly from booking the reservation to getting suggestions from the concierge prior to our arrival to coordinating transportation from the airport (despite a delay in our arrival) to the end of our stay.

I give high marks to the concierge and bell desk staff who were always ready to help and even checked on our lost luggage for us. The front desk staff was efficient and friendly and gave the sense that they would take care of any deficiencies. The location was suitable for our family and within a ten minute walk to everything in New Town and within a 15 minute walk (with three children) to Edinburgh Castle and Dynamic Earth (opposite ends of the Royal Mile).

I gave the hotel a high four star rating as there is a little room for improvement. The restaurant service staff at Hadrian's at breakfast was okay. The hosts at Hadrian's were welcoming. The locker room by the pool could use a little more warmth in its decor and amenities. Our third floor rooms facing North Bridge street could get loud at night and woke the kids a couple times. I still recommend this hotel and we enjoyed our stay there.

The hotel was convenient for a stroller. In 2010, there will be a rail connection from the city to the airport which will be nice. While the rail station is just below the hotel, if you have any luggage, the concierge will recommend a cab which we agree with. In 2010, an escalator is slated to be installed from street level to train station level according to the concierge which should help with access.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2009

Have stayed at the Balmoral many, many times over the years and it continues to be superb! From check-in to check-out the staff are fantastic---room service is very professional and prompt, spa staff are very helpful, and bar staff at both the Palm Court and Balmoral Bar are courteous and polite. Rooms are large, spotlessly clean and serviced fully twice a day. Hadrian's continues to be a great spot for a casual evening meal, with good quality at reasonable prices. If there is anything you need, all you have to do is ask, and the staff will assist you--they've obviously been thoroughly and professionally trained. Overall, we can't say enough good things about the Balmoral. We'll be back in January!

Reviewed 24 December 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Balmoral for one night, after a small country wedding in Scotland and before flying off abroad on honeymoon the next day, from Edinburgh airport. We had a wonderful time at the Balmoral - everything was just perfect. It's hard to single out individual impressions, but we were particularly impressed with the fantastic service (reception, concierges, room service, spa staff, breakfast area staff), the room (facing outwards) and the swimming pool. I would definitely recommend the Balmoral for a wedding night; the honeymoon package was great and made us laugh (rose petals in your bed, no kidding!)

1  Thank 1Magnus